• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antivirals and cognitive impairment...?

alice111

hey guys!

Been on valtrex for a bit now, so far everything is going pretty well, and physically I'm getting some solid improvements.. but my brain.. oh my brain.. it's not doing well...

My memory has gotten really bad, I am forgetting things, and having complete black holes. Also just generally my IQ feels like it's plummeted .. and well I just feel dumb and fogged as hell.

Anyone else had this?

Is it just part of the healing??

Thanks!

actup

@alice111, I can only give you anecdotal info. I used Valtrex 1000mg twice/day continuously for six yrs which allowed me to work part time and if anything decreased brain fog. One missed dose and painful nasal and mouth sores accompanied by a flu syndrome hit me. A recurring nasal lesion early on had some crusting and exudate which tested positive for HHV2.

Fortunately I tolerated it without any apparent side effects and had a good response. I continue to use it for a week at a time as needed. In retrospect I wish my dosing had been three times per day at 1500mg each dose but primaries would not prescribe it or my health insurance cover it.

Valtrex is effective in the treatment of HHV1(simplex), HHV2(genital), HHV3( chicken pox/shingles) and HHV4( mono or ebv). Best of luck with your health

Hutan

@alice111, I used Valtrex for 18 months - for recurrent cold sores that started about 6 months after the ME started. If I missed even a day during that first 18 months, I would get a cold sore. But after 18 months, I found that I no longer got cold sores without Valtrex and my doctor confirmed that that often happens with a long course. I had about 18 months without any cold sores but now they are back, all the time. :( Time for more Valtrex.

I don't think that the Valtrex helped my other ME symptoms. But I also don't think it made brain fog worse - I didn't notice better brain function when I stopped taking it. I'll take note when I restart the Valtrex.

You say that you are improving physically, which is terrific news. I wonder though if your increased activity levels might be having an impact on your brain function? Have you changed anything else that might be affecting your ability to think?