1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Antiviral therapy of 2 patients w/ chromosomally-integrated HHV-6A presenting w/ cognitive dysfunctn

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I don't know if these patients are like ME/CFS patients or not.
    But given Dr. Montoya was trying antiviral therapy on ME/CFS patients, I thought I'd post it.
    http://www.journalofclinicalvirology.com/article/S1386-6532(12)00211-9/abstract
    Journal of Clinical Virology
    Article in Press
    Antiviral therapy of two patients with chromosomally-integrated human herpesvirus-6A presenting with cognitive dysfunction

Received 2 April 2012; received in revised form 23 May 2012; accepted 24 May 2012. published online 09 July 2012.
    Corrected Proof

Abstract

Background

Human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6) is a neurotropic virus implicated in central nervous system (CNS) dysfunction, multiple sclerosis, seizures and encephalitis. Inherited or “chromosomally integrated” HHV-6 (CIHHV-6) is a condition characterized by high DNA loads and germ line transmission of HHV-6 genomes, which are integrated into the telomere.
    Objectives

We previously reported that integrated HHV-6 can be reactivated by trichostatin A in vitro. Therefore, we hypothesized that a broad array of neurological symptoms of CIHHV-6 patients may respond to antiviral drug treatment.
    Study design

The patients have been treated with antiviral drugs and monitored for viral load, late mRNA, and clinical improvement.
    Results

Antiviral therapy of two CIHHV patients resulted in successful clinical resolution. However, both patients relapsed on multiple occasions within 4–6 months of cessation of antiviral therapy.
    Conclusions

Successful antiviral drug treatment suggests that clinical symptoms of these patients were due to symptomatic reactivation of CIHHV-6. Alternatively, some CIHHV-6 patients may have a reduced resistance to community-acquired HHV-6 strains due to tolerance leading to persistent infections.
    Keywords: Human herpesvirus 6, HHV-6, Chromosomally integrated HHV-6, CIHHV-6, Inherited HHV-6
    Bob and heapsreal like this.
  2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Interesting - thanks Dolphin. (being a herpes simplex sufferer most of my life too).

See more popular forum discussions.