Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Antiviral suggestions

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by nryanh94, Dec 15, 2017.

1. nryanh94

nryanh94

I received my bloodwork today, and have a follow up with my Dr on Wednesday.

I tested positive for active HHV-6 as well as EBV.

And C pneumoniae

What would be the best antiviral/antibiotic combination for this. Would Valcyte work on both viruses simultaneously?

Thank you,

2. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    I am taking herbal anti-virals for EBV (2 and 1/2) yrs and still continuing to make improvements.

I have taken these anti-virals.............not all at the same time.

Liquid Licorice tincture............alcohol free
    Liquid Cats Claw tincture..........alcohol free
    L-lysine
    Monolaurin
    Lemon Balm
    Olive leaf

3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Yes, Valcyte works for EBV, HHV-6 and cytomegalovirus. Whereas Valtrex works for EBV, but not for HHV-6 or cytomegalovirus.

Dr Lerner's and Prof Montoya's antiviral protocol is detailed here. Generally it will take 3 or 4 months before you even begin to see the first improvements.

Azithromycin can be used for Chlamydia pneumoniae; see this paper.

Where you tested for coxsackievirus B and echovirus?

Ema likes this.
  4. nryanh94

nryanh94

I was not tested for either of those.

Thanks for the information

5. nryanh94

nryanh94

I should add that I'm lucky in the fact that I'm in the mild/moderate category. Even when I have pem I can still get up and move around/ go to a restaurant (not anymore than that).

With that I'm concerned about using Valcyte and was curious if something like nexavir was a better option

6. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I would look at BHT, http://www.projectwellbeing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/BHTbook-StevenWmFowkes-100903.pdf.

I took Nexavir and then, later, Valcyte. I think it is difficult to make a comparison between the two. One may work better than another for any individual. There are pros and cons to both.

If you are taking Valcyte, close monitoring of blood work is necessary. It's very expensive, but typically covered by insurance. There may be more side effects.

Nexavir, the injectable form, may not be easily sourced anymore. It is also expensive, not as costly as Valcyte, but also not covered by insurance. I did not have any side effects with Nexavir, but it didn't produce any benefits particularly either.

7. nryanh94

nryanh94

Also I've read if you have a bacterial infection like pneumoniae the anti vitals don't work? Is that true or would the combined andtiviral and antibiotic work?

8. nryanh94

nryanh94

Hey Tammy Merry Christmas,

How often do you rotate these, and how many at a time/ what dosage?

9. Hip

Hip Senior Member

In my pharmacokinetic analysis project, which I will post on the forum when complete, I found that BHT has a very poor antiviral effect in vivo, even though it is potent in vitro.

In my pharmacokinetic calculations, I calculate what I call the Potency Factor for various antiviral drugs, supplements and compounds. The Potency Factor is a figure which represents the strength of the antiviral in vivo when taken by humans (the Potency Factor is very similar in concept to the selectivity index of an antiviral).

To give a point of reference: the Potency Factor for Valcyte against cytomegalovirus came out to be 4,500. By contrast, I calculated the Potency Factor for BHT was only 25. So as far as I can tell, BHT looks like a very weak antiviral (at least for CMV, which an in vitro study showed BHT inhibited at a concentration of 40 μg/ml; there are no studies I could find on BHT's effects against other herpesviruses).

And the calculated antiviral Potency Factor for Nexavir for HHV-6 was just 5. Although I believe Nexavir may also be an immunomodulator, which means that in spite of being a very poor antiviral, it may still fight viruses by an immune stimulating effect.

Likewise, glycyrrhizin from licorice root turns out to be a very poor antiviral by my calculation, with a Potency Factor of just 3 for EBV. By contrast, the Potency Factor for Valtrex for EBV I calculated as 4,167.

But again glycyrrhizin has immunomodulator properties, so may fight viral infection by immune stimulation. Note though that almost no glycyrrhizin is absorbed orally, so if you are taking licorice orally, it will not work at all. Only glycyrrhizin injection stands a chance of working. Glycyrrhizin injections are used in Japan for hepatitis C virus.

In general, my pharmacokinetic analysis seems to show that nearly all the supplements, compounds and off-label drugs that show potent antiviral effects in vitro turn out to have only very weak antiviral in vivo, when you take them orally.

Sadly a lot of compounds that I hoped might be potent in vivo turned out to be very weak.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    BadBadBear likes this.
  10. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    I took Cats Claw, and L-lysine almost continually for the first couple of years. Licorice.....I took in cycles of 4 weeks on 2 weeks off. The other anti-virals I brought in at the 2 yr mark for various reasons.

Dosages : I started off with small dosages and worked my way up to what was recommended on the bottle. Re: L-lysine...........I took above what the recommended dosage was. On average I take approx. 4,000 - 6,000 mgs of L-lysine daily and the same with Vit C as they work synergistically together. I did give myself little breaks now and then. This month will mark 2 1/2 yrs on my anti- viral protocol and I feel better than I have in MANY years. (I'm also doing other supps).

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Janice Hargreaves likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.