• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antiviral Research

Asa

Hello, fellow phoenixes, and well wishes to you all. It’s been a while…

Am writing to ask, please, if someone familiar with antiviral research—particularly Valcyte/valganciclovir—, as pertains to ME/CFS, might share the most significant research papers regarding such. A primary care physician, whom I’ve been fortunate to meet, seems open to receiving this info…

Thank you so very much.

At this time, I’m able to read more than I’ve been able to in a very long time… and for which I’m extremely thankful, but I am still limited… I understand that longer answers/posts might be helpful for others, but I’m sure I won’t be able to take it all in at this time… Thank you for understanding. And thank you again for any suggestions you may offer… Best, A-

P.S. One person recommended Dr. Montoya’s work, if anyone is familiar with this… And I did look at the info on phoenixrising.me* under antivirals. It’s dated as 2011 though, and so I thought there was perhaps additional since this time… Thank you, again.

*http://phoenixrising.me/treating-cf...fatigue-syndrome-mecfs-valcyte-valganciclovir

Learner1

Try these. I've been helped greatly by valganciclovir.;)

Attachments

• montoya valganciclovir.pdf
    272.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Valganciclovir and CFS.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • Lerner-antiviral-herpesvirus CFS.pdf
    314.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Lerner ME CFS Treatment Guide.pdf
    701.7 KB · Views: 17

Wonkmonk

It’s dated as 2011 though, and so I thought there was perhaps additional since this time…

The sole addition to this research that I know of is Dr Skip Pridgen's Fibromyalgia protocol, which adds a COX-2 inhibitor to antiviral treatment (Celecoxib + Famciclovir).

Apart from that, as far as I know, Dr Lerner's and Dr Montoya's research is still the only game in town concerning antiviral treatment.

Hip

Am writing to ask, please, if someone familiar with antiviral research—particularly Valcyte/valganciclovir—, as pertains to ME/CFS, might share the most significant research papers regarding such. A primary care physician, whom I’ve been fortunate to meet, seems open to receiving this info…

A summary of Dr Lerner's and Prof Montoya's antiviral studies given in this post.

tiredowl

Does anyone know an antiviral that is beneficial for autoimmune diseases too? It seems many are contraindicated in autoimmune disease.

Learner1

I have 3 different autoimmune problems and my doctor had no problem prescribing the antiviral. In my case, we want to beat back the infections so they don't cause more autoimmunity. My doctor thinks my POTS derived from my chronic EBV.

Learner1

The sole addition to this research that I know of is Dr Skip Pridgen's Fibromyalgia protocol, which adds a COX-2 inhibitor to antiviral treatment (Celecoxib + Famciclovir
I've been wondering about this. I've been on higher doses of curcumin, which is also a COX-2 inhibitor and valganciclovir for months. They've definitely helped a lot, but haven't cured me.

Is it specifically Famvir and Celebrex? As I've read through the info about Pridgen's protocol, its seemed to hone in on COX-2 and antiviral.

And if so, what would be special about them vs. the protocol I've been on, where the valganciclovir was chosen for the viruses I had?

Wonkmonk

I think, as @Hip pointed out, you need some degree of Cox-1 inhibition in addition to a Cox-2 inhibitor to have ideal effects on the virus. Celebrex strongly inhibits Cox-2 and also inhibits Cox-1 to some degree.

If there are no interactions with your other medication, adding a low dose of Aspirine might provide some Cox-1 inhibition in addition to the Curcumin. Aspirine inhibits mainly Cox-1 and Cox-2 to a much lower degree.

This chart shows a good illustration:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...-seed-extracts-at-250-lg-ml-4a_fig4_251575203

Another natural Cox-1 inhibitor would be Resveratrol, which I will probably add to the mix soon.

As Hip pointed out elsewhere, there are many natural Cox-2 inhibitors, but only very few natural Cox-1 inhibitors (Resveratrol being the sole exception). So if you want to add Cox-1 inhibition, Aspirine is probably the best way to try.

Hip

Note that for COX-1 and COX-2 inhibitor supplements, if it is an in vitro study that demonstrates a COX inhibiting effect, you may not necessarily get the same effect in vivo when you take the supplement orally.

This is because oral doses may not be able to achieve the same concentrations in the body as were used in the cell line in the in vitro study.

Wonkmonk

Note that for COX-1 and COX-2 inhibitor supplements, if it is an in vitro study that demonstrates a COX inhibiting effect, you may not necessarily get the same effect in vivo when you take the supplement orally.

That's true, but the effectiveness of some supplements like Boswellia has been demonstrated in vivo, too.