• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antiretroviral Trial

Charles555nc

I agree both FeLV treatments sound awesome, anyway we can get our hands on them? lol. Looks like they only sell to licensed veternarians...

Jemal

Here in the Netherlands it's advised to euthanize cats with FelV or keep them locked up for the rest of their life. Not sure why they would give this advice if they have awesome treatments available... either they aren't so awesome, deemed too expensive or the risk that sick cats infect other cats is deemed too great.

Martlet

thanks for hugs. thing is, my life was really bad even before this disease. i think most people in the position i am in, have done themselves in already. i still don't really understand why i am not doing it. strength or cowardice...not sure which

Well I, for one, am very glad for your strength or cowardice. We are all enriched by your presence among us and I want to add to Cloud's hugs.

Martlet

Here in the Netherlands it's advised to euthanize cats with FelV or keep them locked up for the rest of their life. Not sure why they would give this advice if they have awesome treatments available... either they aren't so awesome, deemed too expensive or the risk that sick cats infect other cats is deemed too great.

It's because of the risk of infecting other cats. We had a FIV+ cat (he has since managed to shake it from his system) that we had to keep indoors.

Jemal

It's because of the risk of infecting other cats. We had a FIV+ cat (he has since managed to shake it from his system) that we had to keep indoors.

Does that mean he has totally eliminated the disease and is no longer infectious?

acer2000

Most cats in the USA get the vaccine. So I think the incidence of FeLV has dropped significantly since the vaccine has been out. I am not sure they ever poured much money into treatments because... well... cats aren't humans. There are some treatments that they claim work, sort of, but there are conflicting studies as to how effective they are. Maybe they can learn from these treatments when they start to look at what might help XMRV. And maybe if they come up with effective XMRV treatments (assuming its possible) they can be used on cats with FeLV.

They can't even agree on how to test for XMRV at this point... meh

Charles555nc

Ive looked up the results of the two treatments for FeLV and with each treatment they give the cats about a 1/3rd chance of completely clearing the virus (or FIV) from their system , I think. For the rest, its about 3-4 years (21-28 cat years) extra survivial time with treatment.

They used to use IL-2 for aids patients but found it didnt accomplish as much in cd4 counts as ARVT. Apparently you have thousands of types of cd4 cells and IL-2 only boosts the ones you still make, not the ones you lost because of the illness.

Im gonna look up gamma glublin and interferon omega in humans....probably again because I forgot what they said the last time I checked.

P.S While I do that, I will remember to pace myself and rest per the 900$ advice from my doctor *laugh*

Daffodil

thanks, martlet:)

charles...there is no clearing the virus. they thought some cats cleared it but now they do not think so...they found provirus with the newer, more sensitive tests. maybe a cat can clear it if you treat right after infection (like MLV in rats), before it reaches the bone marrow..otherwise no

Martlet

Does that mean he has totally eliminated the disease and is no longer infectious?

Yes. Completely. It came as a surprise to us after keeping him indoors for eight years. He had been adopted from the Humane Society as a kitten (we know from his microchip) but must have escaped his owners at some point and was a skin-and-bones 2-year-old FIV+ stray when we found him on the city streets. Our vet was actually testing to see if the virus had become active when we took him in this year, with a tummy problem. He had totally eradicated the virus. We put it down to good care and very little external challenge to his immune system, allowing his immunity to deal with the virus. We have no other explanation.

Martlet

has he ever been tested for provirus? how can you eradicate retrovirus?

No, Sue. He was tested for leukemia (negative) and Feline AIDS (positive). I have no idea how he eradicated it. Our vet said she was writing to her old professor, so surprised was she. All we know is that he tested positive under both tests and is now negative. I guess the moral of the story is that there is always hope.

Jemal

The immune system is a powerful thing. I just wish it was working a bit harder for us :)

(or maybe the problem is our immune system is working too hard at trying to eradicate XMRV and causing all kinds of troubles?)

Hi Daffodil,

Can I ask as to how come you are taking these anti-virals? have you tested positive for a virus?

regards
Jen

Charles555nc

So Im still doing my periodic EDTA suppositories and with all this talk about retroviruses Ive decided to retry some amino acids and supplements in different combos. The edta seems to really lower my symptoms in the short term, until repeated-less confusion, better looking skin, increased appetite, easier blood flow. Im trying to get in the best shape possible before I get to try the ampligen.

The other supplements Ive added are usually recemmended for aids patients...
L-glutamine 2000mg every day
L- arginine 500mg once every 3 days
L-Lysine 2000mg every 3 days
L-methionine 500mg every day
No flush Niacin 500mg every day
N-A-C 600mg every 3 days
L-glutathione 50mg every 3 days.
Vitamin A 10,000iu every day.
Vitamin b1 300mg every day.
No selenium, wish I could add this but I've been getting MS type symptoms when I add this

Since adding these, I seem to be in a new place, symptom wise. Some spiking of symptoms, then some improvements in symptoms, where I feel a little bit ahead so far-but the regimen changes are only very recent...so Idk

TheMoonIsBlue

So Im still doing my periodic EDTA suppositories and with all this talk about retroviruses Ive decided to retry some amino acids and supplements in different combos. The edta seems to really lower my symptoms in the short term, until repeated-less confusion, better looking skin, increased appetite, easier blood flow. Im trying to get in the best shape possible before I get to try the ampligen.

Hi Charles,
If you don't mind my asking, did you test positive for XMRV, or other viruses such as HHV6a, EBV, etc.? Do you have any abnormal immune biomarkers? Just trying to figure out how they know who would be the best candidates for Ampligen.

Do you have to more or less "sign up" for a whole years treatment for Ampligen? I know the Ampligen is cost recovery which I assume means you have to pay for the entire amount of the medication plus any additional expenses- is the Ampligen charged per infusion? A certain amount of money per infusion, or do you have to pay a full amount of money up front?

Just wondering, if a person has a negative reaction to the drug and can't continue to take Ampligen, how the monetary issues work out. I would really like to know how much Ampligen costs for 1 year of treatment, plus infusion/doctors cost. I know you may not have this information yet but if you wouldn't mind sharing this information I would appreciate it.

Thanks and hope everything goes well! If Ampligen EVERRRRR gets approved or I can get it at a hospital near my home I would like to give it a go, but need more info on the cost and how everything works.

Daffodil

jen jen....nope i havent tested positive for anything so far...i will know more in 5 weeks.

Charles555nc

Ive had a ton of blood tests so I dont remember all the results. I have been diagnosed with chronic fatigue and fibrmalgia according to the 1994 cdc criteria (important for the ampligen study). I have a unhealthy amount of oral thrush-which is a pretty obvious sign of a poor immune system. And my symptoms are so bad Im applying for disability.

Ampligen costs about 1200$ a month, I have been saving for months and months, and borrowing money from every family member I have. They want you to "commit" for at least 6 months. But you pay for the services, as you receive them-so if you have to drop out you wouldnt lose your money.

P.S. Lysine is really improving/increasing my sleep, I think.

I have a unhealthy amount of oral thrush-which is a pretty obvious sign of a poor immune system.

Don't know if it would be of any use or interest to you but I have found anything between 10 and 20 drops of artemisia annua in a little water is extremely effective for clearing oral thrush when used in a swish and spit way. I held it in the mouth for about 5-8 mins and was so surprised at the good results within a few days. It mightn't be suitable or helpful for everybody but I just thought I'd mention it in case it might be of some help.

Huge wishes of good luck if you go the Ampligen route, it seems like a good idea to get as strong as you can before you make a start on it.

Daffodil

hi all. so now i am sure the HIV drugs have stopped working. i am totally back to square 1 and it does not seem like a temporary decline anymore. i continue to experience strange chest pressure, even though i am taking atenolol 12.5 mg.

sue