Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Antiretroviral Raltegravir: Will start soon. What should I keep in mind?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by ScottTriGuy, Nov 24, 2015.

1. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    I'm thinking I will give them 3 months to see if I feel any (subjective) effects. PEM will be the key symptom I'll be 'feeling' for.

Are there any objective tests I should be considering? (I'll try to get a baseline before starting)

I'm already taking ARVs Kivexa and Viramune for HIV (for a dozen yrs; am undetectable) so I'm not super hopeful Raltegravir will do anything for me, but n = 1.

I have CMV and EBV (but not HHV6) so that's what I'm theoretically targeting with the Raltegravir.

Jill and Theodore like this.
  2. Butydoc

Butydoc President

Hi ScottTriGuy,

The drug Raltegravir is an antiretroviral medication that probably doesn't work on CMV or EBV. There are other antiviral drugs that specifically target both CMV and EBV. I suggest you talk to your doctor to see if there is a misunderstanding concerning the reason for why you are going to start Raltegravir.

Best,
    Gary

SOC and Sushi like this.
  3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Surprisingly, some recent research indicates raltegravir is effective against cytomegalovirus and herpes simplex virus, inhibiting replication by a 30- to 700-fold. Ref: here.

Theoretically, I read raltegravir may be effective against all the herpes family viruses, including HHV-6, EBV, varicella zoster virus. Ref: here. Raltegravir blocks the functioning of an essential protein called terminase needed for the replication of herpes viruses.

This may be why some ME/CFS patients like Dr Jamie Deckoff-Jones have seemingly benefitted from raltegravir (even though they may have initially taken this drug took to fight the retroviruses that have been speculated to be behind ME/CFS).

Jill, alkt and helen1 like this.
  4. Butydoc

Butydoc President

Hi Hip,

Very interesting articles you referenced. I hope this stands up in a clinical trial. I still think there are other drugs available that are tested in humans for both CMV and EBV.

Best,
    Gary

5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Yes, certainly the tried and test drugs Valcyte or cidofovir, which target many herpes family viruses including cytomegalovirus and EBV, would be the ones you'd normally go for.

Though in @ScottTriGuy's case, he is on antiretroviral therapy anyway, so I think with the help of his doctor, he is just modifying his antiretroviral cocktail to incorporate raltegravir, which may then also potentially provide some benefits for his ME/CFS symptom, by targeting cytomegalovirus and possibly EBV.

6. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)

Just a thought, any studies shown benefit to using IV acyclovir for ebv/cmv over oral acyclovir/valtrex ?
    Guessing higher blood values used IV compared to orally may be an advantage?? Also probenecid could also be used for this purpose.

7. ScottTriGuy

Toronto, Canada
    That's my intent / hope. I'm just adding the raltegravir to my existing cocktail, so I'm only changing one thing at a time. If not improvement, I'll drop the raltagravir.

The other factor is that its easier for me to get from my doc (who professes to be 'more open than other allos') ARVs than antivirals.

Thanks for your comments / info @Hip @Butydoc

L'engle likes this.
  8. jimmy86

jimmy86

panckage and Theodore like this.
  9. ScottTriGuy

Toronto, Canada
    I'm still taking it but I still have ME, no impact on PEM - next time I see my HIV doc I'm going to drop 1 of the 4 ARVs I take since I only need 3 - I'd like to keep the raltegravir because its from a different ARV class but will see what she says.

ETA: the only side effect I can attribute to it is better sleep...but its kind of an expensive sleeping aid!

jimmy86 likes this.
  10. jimmy86

jimmy86

thanks for the update.... sorry that it does not help for PEM.

11. Theodore

Theodore Senior Member

France
    Hi Scott!

Very sorry it didn't impact the PEM.

Will you try Tenofovir/Viread also?

12. ScottTriGuy

Toronto, Canada
    No, had not planned to take them because I'm already taking viramune and kivexa.

Have Tenofovir/Viread been used to treat ME? I'd not heard that.

13. Theodore

Theodore Senior Member

France
    Someone here on PM has taken Tenofovir + Raltegravir and is doing well.

I thought you may wanna try too.

ScottTriGuy likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.