• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antihistaminic flavonoids: Quercetin, Rutin... especially Luteolin

Gondwanaland

Thanks and I was curious if there is anything different that makes this one worth $27 vs. $5. Do they give you any health info or suggestions?
AFAIK they are giving an almost 50-page report now with several charts and lots of text. I think there is an example on their site. Having these reports done helped me to study biochem and understand my symptoms, but I am not sure if they will help to solve my issues...

ahmo

@maddietod When I started using FMN form of B2 a year ago, I was able to quit royal jelly, mangosteen, rutin, Neuroprotek, as I was no longer having antihistamine or overt mc problems. A few months ago I identified some of my symptoms as POTS-lite, and found references to possible mc involvement w/ POTS. So I resumed royal jelly, and my symptoms decreased. I've now also resumed mangosteen, and finally, NP. I find I'm better with them than without. Especially now that I've resumed a Candida purge, and this stress causes mc reactions. I was happy to drop the cost of Neuroprotek, but it does help my brain fog.

maddietod

@maddietod When I started using FMN form of B2 a year ago, I was able to quit royal jelly, mangosteen, rutin, Neuroprotek, as I was no longer having antihistamine or overt mc problems. A few months ago I identified some of my symptoms as POTS-lite, and found references to possible mc involvement w/ POTS. So I resumed royal jelly, and my symptoms decreased. I've now also resumed mangosteen, and finally, NP. I find I'm better with them than without. Especially now that I've resumed a Candida purge, and this stress causes mc reactions. I was happy to drop the cost of Neuroprotek, but it does help my brain fog.

I saw your notes above about neuroprotek. How much royal jelly and mangosteen do you take?

Strawberry

Here's a study showing that luteolin is a calcium channel blocker. I can link studies that show that quercetin and myricetin, even cromolyn, are calcium channel blockers, too. I think the antihistamine effect is from them being calcium channel blockers.

I also have a quote from a study that says that without calcium, cells will not degranulate. I'll go get the quote.
"A calcium signal is essential for degranulation, generation of eicosanoids and optimal production of cytokines in mast cells in response to antigen and other stimulants."

I am wondering if mast cells are stabilized by luteolin, quercetin and rutin by blocking calcium entry.

That would mean that magnesium and Vitamin K2 would be a very good mast cell stabilizer

I wonder if this is why my Amlodipine stopped my heart palpitations and medicine reactions? My heart has decided to quit attempting suicide by jumping out of my chest, and suddenly I am tolerating medicine. Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker.

Thank you to whomever reawakened this thread. Hoping I have time to read the rest of this thread tomorrow.

Hope78

I got my Swanson product today (luteolin and rutin). Took one about an hour ago. Have this nice peaceful easy feeling right now and enjoying that (Eagles anyone?)

Update: had a hard time getting to sleep last night. Felt calm, body tired but still needed melatonin.

Decided to take this stuff in the AM and have felt a little edgy (stimulated) but mood has been slightly better than normal. enough to be noticable.
I saw you are homocygous for MAO. Quercetin is known for inhibiting MAO, so no wonder you felt a bit agitated

Violeta

That's good, because I'd thought for years that they had a grudge against me :)

Have you ever tried niacin as a way to deplete histamine? (Though, I'd wonder if people with severe histamine problems might find that the niacin flush is too much to take.)
This topic is from quite a while ago, but I now find your mention that people with severe histamine problems might find that the niacin flush is too much to take. About 9 months ago I tried taking the niacin that I had in my pantry. I would break down the capsule, using just a small amount each time. One day I guess I made a mistake and took too much, although not even a whole capsule. I was standing at the time, felt like I better sit down, and then I don't know how much later, found myself still on the chair but the upper part of my body hanging down to the floor. I had to call my husband to come and help me get up. He helped me get to the couch, where it took me a while to recuperate. It was very strange. Anyway, I am looking into histamines again.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23494818/
Anti-allergic effects of enzymatically modified isoquercitrin (α-oligoglucosyl quercetin 3-O-glucoside), quercetin 3-O-glucoside, α-oligoglucosyl rutin, and quercetin, when administered orally to mice
Abstract
Quercetin, a flavonol distributed widely in edible and medicinal plants, has beneficial biological activities in vitro. However, the low water solubility of quercetin limits its bioavailability to exhibit activity in vivo. We evaluated the anti-allergic effects of quercetin, quercetin 3-O-glucoside (isoquercitrin, IQC), α-oligoglucosyl rutin (αOR), and enzymatically modified isoquercitrin (α-oligoglucosyl isoquercitrin; EMIQ) in the murine ear passive cutaneous anaphylaxis (PCA) reaction using ovalbumin as an antigen. The substances to be tested were dissolved or suspended in water, and administered orally to mice (4 mmol 10 ml⁻¹ kg⁻¹). EMIQ exhibited a significant inhibitory effect on the PCA reaction. We detected 600 μM IQC and 95.1 μM Q3Glcn in the plasma of mice 30 min after EMIQ treatment, suggesting that IQC and Q3Glcn might be the genuine active compounds mediating the anti-allergic effects of EMIQ. Oral treatments of quercetin and αOR at this dosage exhibited no anti-allergic effect, and IQC showed less effect than EMIQ. Since IQC and quercetin cannot completely dissolve in water at this concentration, the water solubilities of these substances might affect their biological activities. αOR dissolved well in water at the concentration used but plasma concentrations of quercetin metabolites in mice orally treated with αOR were low, suggesting that αOR might not be converted to IQC or quercetin by the enzymes in small intestine and thus not exhibit any activity. Glycosyl conjugation of quercetin with specific sugar motifs is an effective strategy to improve the biological activity of quercetin in vivo.
71Yfmwu4mML._AC_AA180_.jpg

$21~22
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Factors-Antioxidant-Cardiovascular-Vegetarian/dp/B00KNOW1AU
i try and comparate with the normal quercetin dehydrate no upset the stomach at all, even when the stomach is in flare up, but same with regular quercetin dehydrate dont improve food allergies at level of a cure o pogression to a cure, only helps a bit