• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antihistaminic flavonoids: Quercetin, Rutin... especially Luteolin

Avengers26

@ahmo That video you linked above on Self-muscle testing, is that how you determine your current need for supplements? Do you find the technique useful?

ahmo

@Avengers26 I use a slightly different technique, but found I could easily adapt to the one shown on the vid. Useful is an understatement.;) Self-testing is how I've inched my way forward, step by step. I mostly gave up on lab tests, they didn't help me much. But gauging my supps, dosages, asking my body about food and exercise, has been key to my progress.

Gingergrrl

Very interesting thread and I am going to research all of these ideas further: mangosteen, copper, FMN, and Resveratrol to figure out if they can help me. I already take Quercetin, Daosin & Neuro Protek (plus meds) every day. Am not doing well with mast cell stuff and right now it is the bane of my existence :mad:.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
@Avengers26 I use a slightly different technique, but found I could easily adapt to the one shown on the vid. Useful is an understatement.;) Self-testing is how I've inched my way forward, step by step. I mostly gave up on lab tests, they didn't help me much. But gauging my supps, dosages, asking my body about food and exercise, has been key to my progress.
Yeah lab tests are almost absolutely useless. Given how much money and time they consume, what little usefulness they offer goes to the trash. At the end, tests only confirmed what I already knew, so what gives?

@Gingergrrl you might want to check out in this forum how lots of people get insomnia from resveratrol, including me. A pity, since resveratrol is truly an amazing substance per studies.

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl you might want to check out in this forum how lots of people get insomnia from resveratrol, including me. A pity, since resveratrol is truly an amazing substance per studies.

I spent hours trying to research all these supplements last night and how they relate to MCAS (copper, FMN, Resveratrol, etc) but came up empty handed and don't really know where to look or just wasn't grasping what I was reading?

ahmo

@Gingergrrl I've just looked at Theoharides' website, it looks like the only supplement he's looking at is luteolin. If he's not looking at these co-factors, it might be hard to find anyone else who is, unfortunately. I haven't followed closely enough: if you suspect you need copper, you can see if a small amount of liver makes a difference. Resveratrol is a good antioxidant, one of those recommended by martin Pall for the oxidative stress we experience. oxidative stress means stressed adrenals, which will push mc reactions.
FMN, I can only suggest that you try a crumb and see if you have a negative reaction.

(I could easily put a couple FMN and pinch of resveratrol into an envelope and mail it to you.)

Gingergrrl

@ahmo I don't actually have any clue if I need any of these supplements (and have never done muscle testing) but am trying to add anything that can stabilize my current flare of MCAS. I read in several different threads, combined with ideas that people sent me via PM, about the ones I mentioned (copper, FMN, resveratrol, mangosteen, royal jelly, etc) but have no idea if any of these could help me (or even make me worse!)

I am not sure if you can mail supplements from Australia to the US but appreciate your kind offer! If I suspected any of these could help, I would gladly purchase them.

I take two Neuro Proteks per day which has luteolin so I am getting that one (plus the rutin & quercetin in it) plus additional quercetin, daosin, and my prescription meds. Tonight I try a new med for nebulizer and next week I finally try the glutathione for nebulizer at the hospital.

ahmo

royal jelly worked for me, but I never had any anaphalaxys, and I'd guess bee products might be no-go.

I only thought of sending you samples, but with scrutiny over mail, it would never work.

trails

However, the very best kept secret may be with respect to how many issues mast cells cause and what the relationship is to copper and B2 deficiency. I will write my thesis on this.....some day.

@Violeta ... As I'm both copper and B2 deficient, I'm awaiting your thesis with much anticipation. ;) If you have the time and inclination to share some of your thoughts in the interim, I'd love to hear them!

Gondwanaland

small amount of liver makes a difference
:eek: too high in histamines

@Gingergrrl are you on thyroid support? Personally I found that starting on T3 and later increasing it did wonders for my intolerances. A huge setback was becoming anemic after supplementing zinc without copper though.

For the record, when I started on T3 my TSH was 1.75 because I already was on Levothyroxine - which also helped with food intolerances. When I started on Levothyroxine my TSH was 4.22

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
:eek: too high in histamines

@Gingergrrl are you on thyroid support? Personally I found that starting on T3 and later increasing it did wonders for my intolerances. A huge setback was becoming anemic after supplementing zinc without copper though.

For the record, when I started on T3 my TSH was 1.75 because I already was on Levothyroxine - which also helped with food intolerances. When I started on Levothyroxine my TSH was 4.22
That´s interesting how the thyroid affects the gut and immune system functioning. The body is too complex, an interconnected and actually quite frail homeosthatic system, what if we get healthy again and that´s it... Please!...

The worst for me is trying to do the work doctors refuse/are unable to do. I am not the one that studied Medicine for 6 years, what is this nonsense?!

Gingergrrl

Thanks for posting. Just read it and very good information (not really new to me but still helpful!) Am quoting one thing she said at the end:

Finally, histamine travels throughout your blood, it is carried in the bloodstream, so histamine can affect you anywhere, from your gut to your lungs, your brain, your heart, skin and central nervous system.

One thing I am confused on (and probably asked in another post but didn't retain it) is, does 23andMe tell you if you have the DAO SNP mutation? How does someone get that info?

Gondwanaland

One thing I am confused on (and probably asked in another post but didn't retain it) is, does 23andMe tell you if you have the DAO SNP mutation? How does someone get that info?
My Sterling's report shows these two:

DAO rs2070586 A GG -/-
DAO rs3741775 C CC +/+

My husband and I are the same for both of them.

But it actually doesn't matter, because the condition can be triggred by drugs (and perhaps other environmental conditions) as Suzy Cohen explained.

Gingergrrl

My Sterling's report shows these two:

DAO rs2070586 A GG -/-
DAO rs3741775 C CC +/+

My husband and I are the same for both of them.

But it actually doesn't matter, because the condition can be triggred by drugs (and perhaps other environmental conditions) as Suzy Cohen explained.

So it is not on 23andMe but on Sterling's Report? I don't have that one. I know it can get triggered by other stuff and am certain for me it was from mold but that I had a low grade version of MCAS all my life. I am sure I would have the bad gene on this one if I were able to check. Is Sterlings similar to Genetie Genie or Livewello?