1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Antiemetic for CFS-related nausea experiences?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by DadgummedShango, Nov 22, 2013.

1. DadgummedShango

DadgummedShango

Hi all. I wondered if anyone has had any experience with taking antiemetics to reduce nausea and make eating a generally less difficult affair?

I'm trying to ascertain which antiemetics to avoid due to side effects and which might be most efficacious for CFS sufferers. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. Plum

Plum Senior Member

UK
    Hi

My experience is not exactly what you're after but it helped me. I've had severe nausea my whole life every morning. Never understood why. Struggled to eat. Since detoxing my liver, nausea has gone and isn't a problem. Nausea is often a sign of toxin build up in the body and helping the liver to eliminate toxins I have found to be the best way to go.

If you're interested just type 'liver detox' into iHerb and check out what's on offer. You can then research things yourself to see what you'd be happy with taking.

3. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    Ginger is well known for being anti-nausea.

You can take it in all sorts of ways - as a tea, in biscuits or cakes, ginger beer...
    I use a bottled syrup from Australia, Buderim Ginger Refresher.

It's just really handy. I use it in cooking and as a hot drink.
    I make it a LOT more dilute than it suggests on the bottle!

4. vamah

vamah Senior Member

Washington , DC area
    When my sister had severe nausea during her whole pregnancy, she found a product called "preggy pops" that really helped. I think chemo patients also use them. They are a sour lolly pop. Not sure what they contain.

5. DadgummedShango

DadgummedShango

Thanks very much for your kind suggestions. Hoping to pick up something with ginger content today and I'll check out the other suggestions more fully. Thanks all - much obliged.

6. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    You can get crystallised ginger, ginger in syrup, chocolate gingers...

Just grate a little fresh ginger into a little sieve, pour boiling water over it into a mug
    - use honey or sugar to sweeten it if you like, and you have a lovely ginger tea.

Hope you get relief soon.:thumbsup:

DadgummedShango likes this.
  7. DadgummedShango

DadgummedShango

@peggy-sue - that's useful - thanks very much indeed.

8. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Do you just get nausea with crashes, or is it a constant thing? If it's the result of PEM, it might be due to reduced gut motility. In which case it could be a bad idea to shove more food in when you're having trouble getting rid of the food that's already in there.

9. DadgummedShango

DadgummedShango

There's variability in degree, but the issue is basically chronic. So answer A and answer B. ;)

The full picture is I had a bout of gastroenteritis three months ago, prior to which I had mild nausea and eating difficulties that usually married with fatigue levels. Since the gastroenteritis nausea has become a more significant problem.

10. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    It sounds as though you may have gut dysbiosis.

For prevention I would recommend a leaky gut diet and associated supplements (see leaky-gut threads), and avoidance of overexertion.

For remediation I have found sedating antihistamines diphenhydramine and chlorphenamine effective, although of course they are likely to make you sleepy as well.

Lemon balm tea can help some people with mild nausea.

11. DadgummedShango

DadgummedShango

Hi @MeSci - thanks for your response. I haven't heard of dysbiosis so I'll take a look into that. The lemon balm tea sounds like a good tip. Many thanks.

12. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    You're welcome! I just realised that my post isn't very clear, and when I mentioned prevention and remediation I meant re nausea rather than gut dysbiosis, although the leaky gut diet can both prevent and treat gut dysbiosis. There is a whole section on leaky gut and related issues on this site, which I recommend.

Can't remember if anyone has suggested this, but travel-sickness pills may help with your nausea.

13. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I've only used the one called Buccastem or Steminel in the UK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prochlorperazine

It would only just take the edge off the nausea and the feeling was still there. The effect didn't last very long either. Can't remember if there were any side effects.

Now, I take charcoal tablets for nausea or use foods that calm it down. I used to get my worst nausea from 6am - 12 noon but now I cannot work and tend to sleep through this very bad time of the day.

DadgummedShango likes this.
  14. DadgummedShango

DadgummedShango

Thanks for this, @MeSci .

Thanks for this @ukxmrv - any negative effects from the Buccastem or charcoal?

15. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Sorry, it was so long ago that I can't remember the side effects (if any) of the former.

The charcoal tablets can cause a constipated effect and a dark brown stool colour (sorry if TMI). Also I'm told that they can interfere with digestion and absorption of food if taken at the same time.

16. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I tried both prochlorperazine and metoclopramide, and they had no discernible effect at all on my nausea.

ukxmrv likes this.
  17. DadgummedShango

DadgummedShango

That's useful - thanks very much for all your help.

18. DadgummedShango

DadgummedShango

Thanks for all your kind help, @MeSci.

19. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    Be very careful with charcoal tablets - they can affect drug absorption - so if you are on any medication at all, check that charcoal won't interfere with it!

I keep reading the title of this thread as

arithmetic for CFS-related nausea!:alien:

ukxmrv, DadgummedShango and rosie26 like this.
  20. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    So do I. Every time I see it I am momentarily puzzled. You'd think I would have got it by now.

Those ME moments again...:rolleyes:

rosie26 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.