The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Antibodies to ß adrenergic and muscarinic cholinergic receptors in patients with CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by snowathlete, Sep 25, 2015.

1. kangaSue

kangaSue Senior Member

Brisbane, Australia
    I filed away this physiology model without realizing the implication of it http://www.physiologymodels.info/ans/abdominal.htm

Looking back at it, alpha1, beta2, M1 and M3 receptors are all involved with GI motility. Would it not then make sense that having any or a combination of antibodies to these receptors could seriously screw up the workings of the GI tract too?

I'm keen to know if that is the case for anyone with any of these antibodies.

sb4 and Lolinda like this.
  2. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @kangaSue I cannot remember, have you been tested for these autoantibodies or will you be attempting to do the test via Cell Trend in Germany like I am?

3. kangaSue

kangaSue Senior Member

Brisbane, Australia
    I haven't been tested for these antibodies. Not sure what I'll do about it though as IVIG or Plasmapheresis still sounds to be the treatment options but having these antibodies are still not going to qualify me for access to that here in Australia as far as I can ascertain at this point.

4. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Thanks for reminding me and I was not sure. I learned from this experience that plasmapheresis is very rare in the US (and none of my doctors have ever done it or would feel comfortable with me doing it) vs. my two main doctors were absolutely okay with me trying IVIG. The insurance piece was tricky for an autoimmune diagnosis but we succeeded in getting it through.

Although I strongly suspect my insurance would reject the testing from Germany and say it is not a standardized test in the US but am pursuing it anyway for my own knowledge. I've learned from this that even if I never know what autoantibodies I have, the basic treatments are still the same (steroids, IVIG, plasmapheresis, immunosuppressants or Rituximab). Unless there are others that I do not know about? Am really hoping you can figure out a way to qualify in Australia for the treatment that you want.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    sb4, Snow Leopard and kangaSue like this.
  5. Lolinda

Lolinda after meals, I need to lay in bed for hours

sb4 and Valentijn like this.
  6. J.G

J.G

Do correct me if I'm wrong. To my understanding, the role of corticosteroid feedback (or more specifically: glucocorticoid feedback) on the immune system is to stimulate a Th1/Th2-switch. As such, corticosteroids may be effective in autoimmunity characterised by inflammatory Th1 pathology. However, if adaptive immunity is pathogenic in an ME/CFS subset then I don't expect much benefit for that group. There could, of course, be subsets at play.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    sb4 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.