1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Antibodies for diagnosis and therapeutic treatment of prostate cancer

Discussion in 'XMRV Testing, Treatment and Transmission' started by Jemal, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Got this from the other forum. Looks like a very interesting patent to me. It was published 25 august 2011. It's mainly related to prostate cancer, but ME/CFS is also mentioned. Things are still moving... we are seeing some more positive developments lately I believe.

More at:
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2011/0206695.html
  2. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Yes, this sounds very interesting and i must have missed it before. The only thing is that it's "only" a patent application and not a peer-reviewed paper. But still very interesting of course.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi, I was about to post this article then found it had already been posted. It is very interesting indeed. I wonder if there are other cell lines exhibit TSG101 if they are infected with XMRV. That could be a generalized diagnostic test. If so it might also be the case the anti-TSG101 could then be used to treat ME. Bye, Alex
  4. GaryK

GaryK

Canada Niagara Falls
    Hi Alex,
    I was wondering the same very thing....good you picked up this idea.
    Thanks Jermal.... very interesting and thought provocing!
  5. redo

redo Senior Member

I am glad to see they are following up on this. Kohli, Kinch (and Cassella, Diaz) had a an abstract where they talked about using monoclonal antibodies against TSG101.

Back then they said "For example, TSG101 is essential for infections caused by all retroviruses tested to date." (my bolds). And "Altogether, these findings suggest potential opportunities for TSG101-directed therapeutic in the treatment or prevention of XMRV-associated diseases."

The quotes are from about 2/3 down on this page:
    http://www.mecfsforums.com/wiki/Abstracts_from_1st_International_Workshop_on_XMRV
  6. redo

redo Senior Member

There are actually more groups whom put a great deal of weight into TSG101's importance in retroviruses. Here's an article where it's described as HIV's "Ticket to ride", and they claim it's essential for the budding of the virus. Here's another one where they describe "tal" (Tsg101-associated ligase) as a regulator for retrovirus' budding.

Hopefully they'll run some trials soon. Some of the studies are almost a decade old, and it's easy to make some monoclonal antibodies to see how that goes.

See more popular forum discussions.