• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antibiotics

Charles555nc

Hi Charles555nc,

What was your autoimmune reaction to septra? I have use bactrim and Septra as a first line drug for treatment of mrsa with few negative reactions. All drug I have used have side effects. The trick is to choose the most effective drug with the least side effects for the specific problem that your treating.

Best,
Gary

Hi drug company rep. Saying "all drugs have side effects" has to be the most pointless statement ever.

My position is that if a drug has even a 1% or 2% chance of killing you or damaging you for decades, then its not worth it.

And thats how I feel about Septra/sulfa drugs and levaquin/cipro. Im sure you can find webpages of people who had horrific, life changing side effects from just a few doses. Make your own choice to play Russian roulette or not.

Charles555nc

wow it helped that much eh. interesting.

i heard glutamine should be taken 5 - 8 grams for leaky gut?

As I mentioned in our chat...taking large doses of glutamine will FEED infections, sometimes explosively so. I took that large a dose, 5 grams, for leaky gut, and got a huge skin rash- with bumps- all over my body. You arent trying to return glutamine levels to normal, just prevent the stark deficiency I suspect chronically ill people have.

500mg every two weeks seems to improve my digestion and also slightly improve brain fog. I tried one gram at a time, and it didnt add anything extra and I felt more itchy.

The skin rash I got might have been caused by using arginine AND glutamine but that skin rash took forever to go away, so Im not going to mess around with it.

Daffodil

As I mentioned in our chat...taking large doses of glutamine will FEED infections, sometimes explosively so. I took that large a dose, 5 grams, for leaky gut, and got a huge skin rash- with bumps- all over my body. You arent trying to return glutamine levels to normal, just prevent the stark deficiency I suspect chronically ill people have.

500mg every two weeks seems to improve my digestion and also slightly improve brain fog. I tried one gram at a time, and it didnt add anything extra and I felt more itchy.

The skin rash I got might have been caused by using arginine AND glutamine but that skin rash took forever to go away, so Im not going to mess around with it.
oh dang, i forgot about that. i was going to take 5 g a day too. maybe i will ask my doc about it....:)

Butydoc

Hi drug company rep. Saying "all drugs have side effects" has to be the most pointless statement ever.

My position is that if a drug has even a 1% or 2% chance of killing you or damaging you for decades, then its not worth it.

And thats how I feel about Septra/sulfa drugs and levaquin/cipro. Im sure you can find webpages of people who had horrific, life changing side effects from just a few doses. Make your own choice to play Russian roulette or not.
Hi charles555nc,

Actually I'm a retired surgeon and was a director of a busy wound care unit in Southern California. I was only interested in finding out what type of auto immune reaction you sustained as a result of the sulfa drugs that you were prescribed. I really have no horse in this race other than trying to learn from your experience. My own personal experience has been very different than yours. I treated many antibiotic resistant wound infections and found Bactrim and Septra particularly effective in treating community aquired mrsa. My comment concerning every drug has side effects isn't pointless. I'm frequently faced with ordering drugs that have significant side effects to treat an even more severe problem. Sometimes their aren't any other choice but to use that drug because it may be the only effective drug available.
I'm sorry you misinterpreted my post, I use this forum as an exchange of information and experience from its participants.

Best,
Gary

Best,
Gary

Charles555nc

Hi charles555nc,

Actually I'm a retired surgeon...

Anyone can claim to be anyone on the internet and its odd that you seems particularly focused on defending sulfa drugs...there are alot of options in antibiotics that are much safer. But of course gambling with someone else's life
is much easier than gambling with your own.

The autoimmune reaction I had, was very weird and Im not going to get into it, just for you to claim it was something else that caused it. All I have to do is tell the truth and if people still choose to take that poison, then its on them. I wish I had believed the horror stories easily available via a search engine.

Drug companies pay people to attack people on forums so they feel its their own fault instead of the companies' dangerous drugs. Like birth control pills are actually incredibly poisonous, and can cause fast weight gain and hormone problems...but anytime any woman mentions that, some useful idiot will say "well its not a listed side effect". As if big pharma and the fda are not one gigantic, corrupt, inbred circle with conflicts of interest that would choke a rat.

Daffodil

I felt that regular antibiotics were helping me more than the Cowden Herbals....at least that's how it looks right now....but they gave me almost constant diarrhea which was becoming a problem on its own. Even the probiotics gave me diarrhea. Wish there was a more reliable way to fix the gut flora than diet and probiotics.

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
My experience with bactrim was very negative and I have mentioned that it sent me to Emergency three times. I have bouts of nausea six months later, though I can't be sure that is still due to the bactrim.

However I have posted my experiences on this thread, not to dissuade others from taking it, but to alert them to the possibility that symptoms can result and to suspect it when they do. As I said, I saw at least four different doctors while I was in Emergency and although they all were aware I was taking bactrim, not one of them queried it. Yet it is banned in hospitals in Britain.

How is it that something as much used as bactrim can lead to newspaper headlines and be banned in one country yet not even raise an eyebrow in another? Pharmaceutical dumping?

To be honest I still would have used the bactrim had I known about the problems, because I was desperate enough. I knew beforehand that a prolonged AB course was risky, but still went ahead. Rather, it is my experiences in Emergency that I would like to warn people about. It was the poor treatment, the humiliation, the accusations of anxiety and the general lack of concern by some staff which traumatized me. To be fair, I also met staff who were considerate and professional.

It still astounds me that a nurse remarked how how sunburned I was and still noone twigged when I said I hadn't been in the sun. Lobster red skin in a common and pretty standout side effect.

Butydoc

Anyone can claim to be anyone on the internet and its odd that you seems particularly focused on defending sulfa drugs...there are alot of options in antibiotics that are much safer. But of course gambling with someone else's life

The autoimmune reaction I had, was very weird and Im not going to get into it, just for you to claim it was something else that caused it. All I have to do is tell the truth and if people still choose to take that poison, then its on them. I wish I had believed the horror stories easily available via a search engine.

Drug companies pay people to attack people on forums so they feel its their own fault instead of the companies' dangerous drugs. Like birth control pills are actually incredibly poisonous, and can cause fast weight gain and hormone problems...but anytime any woman mentions that, some useful idiot will say "well its not a listed side effect". As if big pharma and the fda are not one gigantic, corrupt, inbred circle with conflicts of interest that would choke a rat.
Hi Charles555nc,

It is not clear to me why your are taking on such an adversarial tone against me. I would agree that any doctor who prescribes a medication does gamble with his/her patient since the physician can never be certain about the side effects of a certain drug to that individual. It is always a weighted decision bases on the safety profile of the drug and the severity of the disease you are treating. If for example someone has a life threatening skin infection like necrotizing fasciitis, a number of antibiotics will be started until the culture and sensitivity is available. The initial antibiotics may in fact have significant side effects but the gamble is in the patients favor since 50 percent of the people treated will still die and 100 percent without treatment will die. This is just a single example of the decisions I make concerning treatment option on a daily bases in a wound care practice. I would like to call my decisions more of an educated guess rather than a gamble.

By the way, what drugs would you suggest to treat mrsa in a diabetic that is much safer than Septra or Bactrim?

Best,
Gary

Undisclosed

@Charles555nc butydoc is exactly who he says he is so I would suggest you stop questioning his identity.

xrunner

I felt that regular antibiotics were helping me more than the Cowden Herbals....at least that's how it looks right now....but they gave me almost constant diarrhea which was becoming a problem on its own. Even the probiotics gave me diarrhea. Wish there was a more reliable way to fix the gut flora than diet and probiotics.
Hi@Daffodil,
what I learnt from my mum's experience with IBS is that there must be a reason for certain symptoms. In her case she was on probiotics for several years, these having the opposite effect to what you described. She also suffered from diverticulitis which the doctors said could not be treated other than with surgery. Her stool tests did not show anything specific apart from some altered flora. So it was a bit of a puzzle. To sort it out we went after the possible causes systematically, one by one by trial and error, and she's now been asymptomatic for the past few years. Best wishes.

Charles555nc

Hi Charles555nc,

It is not clear to me ...

Best,
Gary

In a death vs damage discussion it becomes a much more narrow debate. In probably 98% of cases sulfa drugs would not be worth it imo. It was my understanding that vancomyacin was the most effective drug when treating MRSA, but ofc it has its own toxicity issues, like red man syndrome, and since America is run by big business, its also very expensive. Diabetes makes this a tougher decision as you implied.

Alot of my suggestions for MRSA would be considered alternative medicine....there used to be a procedure where ozone was mixed with the patient's blood in a bag and then put back into the patient, but its tough to find nowadays. Other suggestions: chelation for biofilm reduction, antibacterial effect, hydrogen peroxide inside the wound, cleaning and oxygenating the tissue, and possibly antivirals for viral co-infections also present in open wounds.

DMSA/EDTA chelation is having a positive effect on diabetics facing possible limp amputation, and aside from the direct antibiofilm/antibacterial/antiviral effect, it could also be because chelation leads to better liver and pancreas health, and steadier blood sugar levels.

You are of course bound by insurance companies so the debate between whats best for the patient and whats best for the patient that the insurance company/medical board thinks is ok, are very different. In fact, just being in a hospital for wound care greatly increases the chance of getting MRSA to begin with.

Being logical, a stranger vouching for another stranger's identity isn't very convincing. But Im sure you are who you say you are and I hope my tone was to your approval this time and to avoid being considered the local bad guy, I probably dont want this side discussion to drag on anymore than it already has.

Take away point: when the CDC calls HIV "a social issue" and not a medical one, and says only 30,000 get lyme for 10 years and then, when a vaccine gets released, says its now 300,000- a doctor has to use his smarts and patient's feedback probably more than insurance company studies, which have a huge incentive for lying. On the radio there was recently a massive warning about an antidepressant (I forget the name) creating a big string of suicides among teenagers. Logically, I have lost all faith in the special interest/government hybrid which has failed America and the world.

Daffodil

Hi@Daffodil,
what I learnt from my mum's experience with IBS is that there must be a reason for certain symptoms. In her case she was on probiotics for several years, these having the opposite effect to what you described. She also suffered from diverticulitis which the doctors said could not be treated other than with surgery. Her stool tests did not show anything specific apart from some altered flora. So it was a bit of a puzzle. To sort it out we went after the possible causes systematically, one by one by trial and error, and she's now been asymptomatic for the past few years. Best wishes.

hi Xrunner. Thanks. Perhaps I will private message you to find out more. Glad your mom is better!

I have been so bad recently, especially with the fog...its like it was years ago, before any of the gains.

It is getting so confusing..is it gut flora? lyme? autoimmune? all of the above? Honestly, I am once again feeling hopeless. Just keep trying and trying and nothing.

I just ordered the book, "Why Can't I Get Better?" ..see if that has anything I can use. It was recommended to me by a Professor I emailed.

Butydoc

In a death vs damage discussion it becomes a much more narrow debate. In probably 98% of cases sulfa drugs would not be worth it imo. It was my understanding that vancomyacin was the most effective drug when treating MRSA, but ofc it has its own toxicity issues, like red man syndrome, and since America is run by big business, its also very expensive. Diabetes makes this a tougher decision as you implied.

Alot of my suggestions for MRSA would be considered alternative medicine....there used to be a procedure where ozone was mixed with the patient's blood in a bag and then put back into the patient, but its tough to find nowadays. Other suggestions: chelation for biofilm reduction, antibacterial effect, hydrogen peroxide inside the wound, cleaning and oxygenating the tissue, and possibly antivirals for viral co-infections also present in open wounds.

DMSA/EDTA chelation is having a positive effect on diabetics facing possible limp amputation, and aside from the direct antibiofilm/antibacterial/antiviral effect, it could also be because chelation leads to better liver and pancreas health, and steadier blood sugar levels.

You are of course bound by insurance companies so the debate between whats best for the patient and whats best for the patient that the insurance company/medical board thinks is ok, are very different. In fact, just being in a hospital for wound care greatly increases the chance of getting MRSA to begin with.

Being logical, a stranger vouching for another stranger's identity isn't very convincing. But Im sure you are who you say you are and I hope my tone was to your approval this time and to avoid being considered the local bad guy, I probably dont want this side discussion to drag on anymore than it already has.

Take away point: when the CDC calls HIV "a social issue" and not a medical one, and says only 30,000 get lyme for 10 years and then, when a vaccine gets released, says its now 300,000- a doctor has to use his smarts and patient's feedback probably more than insurance company studies, which have a huge incentive for lying. On the radio there was recently a massive warning about an antidepressant (I forget the name) creating a big string of suicides among teenagers. Logically, I have lost all faith in the special interest/government hybrid which has failed America and the world.
Hi Charles555nc,

Actually we agree on a number of issues. I completely agree with your assessment of insurance companies. My care is frequently compromised by the finances of medicine and the insurance companies need for profits over proper care. I also agree with your distrust of pharmaceutical companies and their tactics. That being said, I still use their drugs after I personally investigate the risk/benefit of each drug. I never trust or ask for a drug reps opinion concerning any drug they sell.

Concerning biofilms generated by bacteria in chronic and acute wounds, there has been some progress in the recent years. One of the most common wound dressing has silver inpreganated in a hydro colloid matrix. Silver penetrates the biofilm and is bacterocidal. Bacteria don't develope resistance to silver. Iodine has a similar profile. Hydrogen peroxide tends to has a negative effect on normal cells and some believe in can increase wound infection by killing cells in the wound which might act as a breeding ground for bacteria. My old professor would say, " never place something in a wound that you wouldn't put in your eyes".

Anyway, I appreciate your better tone.

Best,
Gary

Charles555nc

Hi Charles555nc,

Anyway, I appreciate your better tone.

Best,
Gary

Lol...I am gonna have to let that go. I bet you were a cop in your former life.

And I disagree about hydrogen peroxide...it might lead to more surviving tissue due to its oxygenation effect and it has little effect on healthy cells. But lets say it did kill some cells...arent you cleaning out the wound often anyway? We are talking 2-3% hydrogen peroxide, not food grade hydrogen peroxide (40%).

Ive whitened my teeth with food grade hydrogen peroxide and, as I was careful, I did just fine with it.

What form/brand of colloidal silver would you recommend for someone with lyme/mycoplasma?

I tried nutra silver, years ago, and its a total scam and I kinda gave up on silver as a treatment. There are ALOT of silver products out there.

Cheers,

-Charles

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
hi Xrunner. Thanks. Perhaps I will private message you to find out more. Glad your mom is better!

I have been so bad recently, especially with the fog...its like it was years ago, before any of the gains.

It is getting so confusing..is it gut flora? lyme? autoimmune? all of the above? Honestly, I am once again feeling hopeless. Just keep trying and trying and nothing.

I just ordered the book, "Why Can't I Get Better?" ..see if that has anything I can use. It was recommended to me by a Professor I emailed.

Hi Daffodil, what does you doctor have to say about all of this? are you following his protocol or something else? I thought he was quite knowledgeable, but I know treating from a distance is very hard. So sorry to hear things are worse for you again. Just wondering what your docs plan was and whether you agree with it?

Butydoc

Lol...I am gonna have to let that go. I bet you were a cop in your former life.

And I disagree about hydrogen peroxide...it might lead to more surviving tissue due to its oxygenation effect and it has little effect on healthy cells. But lets say it did kill some cells...arent you cleaning out the wound often anyway? We are talking 2-3% hydrogen peroxide, not food grade hydrogen peroxide (40%).

Ive whitened my teeth with food grade hydrogen peroxide and, as I was careful, I did just fine with it.

What form/brand of colloidal silver would you recommend for someone with lyme/mycoplasma?

I tried nutra silver, years ago, and its a total scam and I kinda gave up on silver as a treatment. There are ALOT of silver products out there.

Cheers,

-Charles
Hi Charles555nc,

The use of hydrogen peroxide in a wound is controversial. Some say it kills cells while others feels it has no negative effects. I've seen some people use deluded (1.5 %) hydrogen peroxide as an irrigant. For people with hypoxic wounds, I use hyperbaric oxygen.
Aquacel Ag is a topical dressing impregnated with ionic silver. On a clean wound, it can be left in place for a week before a dressing change. In wounds with more contamination or debris require more frequent dressing changes. I have no experience with oral silver.

Best,
Gary

Daffodil

Hi Daffodil, what does you doctor have to say about all of this? are you following his protocol or something else? I thought he was quite knowledgeable, but I know treating from a distance is very hard. So sorry to hear things are worse for you again. Just wondering what your docs plan was and whether you agree with it?
Hi Justy. Well...what happened was, for the last 2 days, I have woken up with cramps, bloating, gas, and horrible brain fog and some lymph node pain. As the days went on, it got a little better. What's weird is, I have been sticking to the diet pretty well lately so I cannot imagine what could be causing this.

I talk to my doctor this Friday. I am following the Cowden protocol but starting with Banderol. I cannot make heads or tails of what's going on and have a long list of questions. If I could only have a positive Lyme PCR, I would feel so much better about this treatment protocol.

I will keep you posted on what happens....
xoxox

Daffodil

I am thinking of maybe getting some Vitamin C IV's locally if I can afford it...perhaps give myself a bit of relief. Will ask my doc this Friday if he thinks its a good idea.