May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Antibiotic Ketek. Would you?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by justy, Jul 18, 2015.

1. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    I have been prescribed Ketek - looks nasty and carries a black box warning (according to the internet) nit sure I want to go there really. Has been prescribed in tandem with Lymecycline for Lyme and co infections for three months (initially I imagine)

do you have any experience with it?

sarah darwins likes this.
  2. Vojta

Vojta Senior Member

Czech Republic
    I had been taking it for 2 months. No reaction, no side effects. It was monotherapy (no tetracyclines and plaquenil with it ) It's supposed to be strronger than other macrolides though.

justy, RML and sarah darwins like this.
  3. AaroninOregon

AaroninOregon noob

Hippietown
    After reading up on it, no way in hell.

Tammy and justy like this.
  4. whodathunkit

whodathunkit Senior Member

Justy, I attached a file that might help you decide. Sounds like your doc might be using it in an "off-label" way, based on what you said and what's out of the drug guide.

Hope this is a little bit helpful.

Attached Files:

justy, Violeta, maryb and 1 other person like this.
  5. RML

RML Senior Member

Hi Justy, I have also been prescribed this. My letter with new protocol came in the post the other day. I don't know anything about it to help you sorry. But would be interested to know more about it too.

justy likes this.
  6. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I took it last winter for 2 months with no problems. It is one of the more effective drugs against Bartonella.

I thought it was quite effective but I switched back to azithromycin because it has less of an effect on the CYP 3A4 pathway that also metabolizes the steroids I take. I did have to reduce the steroid dose a little while I was on it.

justy, Valentijn and RML like this.
  7. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    I took it for about three months. I think you need to just be aware of the things to look for if you have a bad reaction but I concluded when I looked into at the time, that it isn't as bad as it is made out. Mind you, I took it for a few months and later (while back on Clarithromycin, I think) got colitis, so...drugs do carry real risks.

justy, RML and Sushi like this.
  8. aquariusgirl

aquariusgirl Senior Member

Snow athlete....are u still on kdm's protocol..?

9. szenn

szenn

London
    Hi Justy, i took Ketek for two months about 18mths ago. i can't remember it being any worse than any other antibiotic i took. I see KDM too

justy likes this.
  10. girlinthesnow

girlinthesnow Senior Member

Hi Justy, had the same experience with it as szenn, just the usual stuff that I get from abx, no where near as awful as Rifampicin which was hellish and another alternative for Bart infections but I'd talk to KDM about it if you're feeling unsure. I don't blindly do what I'm told anymore!

justy and maryb like this.

See more popular forum discussions.