• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

anti inflammatory and immunomodulatory properties of ABX

lizw118

Hi everyone
My doctor has me taking a low pulsed dose of metronidazole (flagyl) for my gut, fatigue and inflammation symptoms (also tested positive for lyme). The metronidazole is one of the only things that seems to work really well for me. I noticed that I have much less problem with all types of inflammation when I am on it--no sinus problems, etc., which I love. My doctor says he thinks that many ABX have anti inflammatory properties, which might explain why it is helping me. I am thinking that much of my inflammation and immune response is coming from my gut and the metronidazole is somehow calming or stopping that. I am taking tons of probiotics and treatment for yeast. Of course I am bummed, though, because I am thinking this can't be a long-term solution, can it? How long can someone be one low dosed antibiotics like this?

Symptomatic

I am doing a modified Marshall Protocol, have been on pulsed, low-dose Minocycline for over a year, and also Azithromycin for nearly a year (amongst other things).

Dr. Thomas McPherson Brown pioneered the use of ABx for rheumatic conditions (see the roadback.org website).

You and your doctor will need to decide what's best in your situation, but know that there are plenty of folks out there on ABx long-term, though I can't speak to metronidazole per se.

lizw118

Hi Symptomatic,
Are you doing the protocol on your own? Are you getting labs, and if so, have you noticed any effects on your liver or kidney function from the ABX? It seems like minocycline is less harsh on the system than Flagyl is. I always feel very depressed on doxycycline, though. I wonder if I would feel the same way on minocycline. Do you have infections? Or just a lot of gut problems?
Thanks!
Liz

snowathlete

I had metronidazole for a dental infection about a year ago and it worked very well, very quickly. I since read that it works on lyme when they do their cyst thingy. I don't know if I have lyme or not yet (being tested) but maybe that's why it's working for you? I'm afraid I don't know about longterm use but I'm sure someone else will know and I'd be interested to hear.

cigana

I felt better very quickly on antibiotics (for a dental infection) and put this down to their anti-inflammatory effects. But I have since been diagnosed with Lyme and now I believe this is the reason I feel better on antibiotics.

Symptomatic

Hi Symptomatic,
Are you doing the protocol on your own? Are you getting labs, and if so, have you noticed any effects on your liver or kidney function from the ABX? It seems like minocycline is less harsh on the system than Flagyl is. I always feel very depressed on doxycycline, though. I wonder if I would feel the same way on minocycline. Do you have infections? Or just a lot of gut problems?
Thanks!
Liz

I'm working with a doctor, who sees value in some parts of the MP approach but is also open to other paths. I have been getting labs done consistently since August 2011, and thankfully I haven't had any issues with either liver or kidney function.

We suspect bacterial infections (and my labs show a compromised immune system with a tendency towards bacterial infections: IgG subclass 3 deficiency, borderline IgG sublass 1 deficiency, and complement C3a deficiency), and definitely have multiple viral infections. Not sure about gut status, we haven't done specific testing for that.

lizw118

I had metronidazole for a dental infection about a year ago and it worked very well, very quickly. I since read that it works on lyme when they do their cyst thingy. I don't know if I have lyme or not yet (being tested) but maybe that's why it's working for you? I'm afraid I don't know about longterm use but I'm sure someone else will know and I'd be interested to hear.
My doc wonders if the metronidazole helps bc of the lyme, too. I have also read it helps with the cystic form of lyme. I am still more convinced my problems are more gut based, although I also wonder if the lyme is what made that stuff go wrong in the first place.

lizw118

There are many other ways to reduce inflammation, using various supplement and drugs.

Have a look at these two threads, for example, which take an anti-inflammatory approach to treating anxiety symptoms:

Non-Standard Anti-Anxiety Treatment
Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

The same anti-inflammatory supplements detailed in these two threads will probably help you considerably.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried a lot of these and have not received the anti inflammatory benefits I have always read about. That often happens to me with supplements. ALA caused my lyme to act up, for some reason, maybe because it frees up the metals and some biofilms are bonded to mercury. I don't know.
However, I do agree with your theories about brain inflammation. I think that is a lot of my problem as well. Magnesium shots do help with my inflammation, but only for one day, sadly. It looks like you settled on three supplements as the ones that really helped. Am I right? What is the glucosamine supp you mentioned?
Thanks
Liz