1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anti- Enteroviral Drugs

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Cort, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Wonder why you never hear about anti-enteroviral drugs? Because outside of Polio there aren't any. According to these authors the need clearly exists. It's certainly possible that these common infections that commonly sweep through communities hit vulnerable targets causing diseases like chronic fatigue syndrome. It could be enteroviruses - common cold viruses (that have perhaps mutated? - since they do mutate frequently) - have been responsible for many of these 'outbreaks'. They not however, the focus of that much research.

Hence the creation of the Enterovirus Foundation - by Lisa Faust - an ME/CFS patient - from which I got this (very technical) paper

There are a number of problems- over 70 different subtypes of enteroviruses and rapid mutation. Plecoranil was an early favorite did not pass FDA approval. Pirodavir is undergoing trials now. Rupintavir is a future possibility. Others exist but the outlook doesn't appear to be that good for the virus that some researchers early on thought was the key to this disease

2. JanisB

JanisB Senior Member

Central Ohio
    Cort, the link doesn't work.
    Janis

3. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC

See more popular forum discussions.