1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Answer from Judy Mikovits Regarding Tissue Resevoir

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Mya Symons, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    QUESTION: Hello. I have a question I am hoping someone from WPI can answer. I have read many articles in which it is stated XMRV has "tissue resevoirs" in which it lies dormant and hides from the immune system or uses these resevoirs to slowly replicate. Has anyone as of yet taken tissue from different areas of the body of XMRV positive patients and attempted to find the virus in this tissue? (For example, the uterus, ovaries, bladder or prostate). If not, why not?

ANSWER: Hello and thank you for contacting the WPI.

I forwarded your question to Dr. Judy Mikovits and this is the answer she returned:

It has been detected in the prostate and in the monkey studies in ovaries, spleen lymph nodes and kidneys. More extensive types of such studies are being planned by the WPI which is applying for human assurance protocol to create a tissue repository to do just that. The difficulty in doing such studies is the political climate trying to deny that XMRV, a new human retrovirus of unknown pathogenic potential, is circulating through the human population.

2. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    great, thanks for that.

here's a long report on the monkey studies from the Blood Work Group:

http://www.fda.gov/AdvisoryCommitte...dProductsAdvisoryCommittee/ucm239304.htm#p245

3. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    They should have told them it was for lyme, EBV, HHV6 or whatever. Seems like every way we turn the bridge is out and we have to turn around and go back.

4. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I imagine that no one is going to look for it in the tissues until they can validate it's appearance in the blood. If they do that then I imagine they won't have trouble getting permission to look at the tissues.

We do have the Singh autopsy study, though. She wasn't looking in CFS patients but she was looking in the general population and it should show up in some of those people. That study was rumored to be about complete last Sept...so hopefully it will be out.

5. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    FOR ALL PEOPLE HERE WHO ARE GOOD AT WRITING LETTERS

Do you think it would be a good idea to write another letter to our politicians and various health departments asking them to approve the WPI's human assurance protocol for a tissue repository? Perhaps someone who is well versed in the science can try to explain that the virus dissappears from the blood and ends up in the tissue??? I am not the best at writing letters. Anyone have any ideas?

“It has been detected in the prostate and in the monkey studies in ovaries, spleen lymph nodes and kidneys. More extensive types of such studies are being planned by the WPI which is applying for human assurance protocol to create a tissue repository to do just that. The difficulty in doing such studies is the political climate trying to deny that XMRV, a new human retrovirus of unknown pathogenic potential, is circulating through the human population.”

6. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

how can it be barely present, or not present in monkey brains! my brain feels like its about to explode all the time.

7. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    I'm no scientist but does a virus have to be present in the brain to affect it? I would guess no, it's enough if it's somewhere else in the body and the body reacts in a way that will create neurological symptoms, for example because certain chemicals are released (hormones, cytokines, whatever) or because the blood flow is impaired.

8. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

In the female monkey it was found in the brainstem.

9. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

Something doesn't have to infect the brain to make your brain not function. It could impair bloodflow, cause inflammation of tissues around the brain, disrupt hormones, give off a toxin, etc.. or impair the immune functioning such that another pathogen that normally wouldn't be able to cause a problem does, and that pathogen infects the CNS, or gives off a toxin that disrupts it, etc..

As for them not looking in tissues until they find it in the blood - that makes no sense based on that monkey study. Its actually a catch-22. What the monkey study proved is that while there is significant virus in various tissues, it almost disappears in the blood. That would signal that they should probably stop focusing so much on blood and start looking in tissues.

10. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    I agree 100% acer. It just seems like there are people out there working very hard to see that research on XMRV doesn't get any farther. Either that or they are in denial. Why can't they accept that this virus may be different than other retro viruses and might not be detectable at times in the blood? After seeing what HIV can do, why is it so hard for even the experts to believe that their could be a new virus behaving in unexpected ways?

11. Grape Funk

Grape Funk Senior Member

USA
    Yes, it is ridiculous to not look in the tissues after multiple studies show severe infection within a couple of weeks of tonsil tissue. I personally would allow a biopsy of tissue for Mikovits , a miniscule surgery really. I've underwent surgery for my lymph nodes in my groin already(check for cancer), the same time symptoms of CFS started (mmmmmm, go figure huh?!?) Also, the fact that XMRV not expressed in the blood at high prevalence could be because of this :

"As a scientist, I have to take an analytical point of view - a protein called APOBEC3 has been shown to strongly inhibit retroviral replication. APOBEC3 is however only expressed in certain cells - testicular germ cells most mature blood cells in particular. However it is only expressed in low numbers, or not at all in peripheral tissues. That probably explains why it is found in such low copy numbers in blood cells and seminal plasma." from --cfidsresearch blog

12. Grape Funk

Grape Funk Senior Member

USA
    PS. Anyone want to explain how i can get notice when someone replies to a thread? So i dont have to memorize each thread i replied to. thanks

13. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    Go to the top of the page (just above the first post on the page) where it says "thread tools" and has a small drop-down arrow. Subscribe to the thread. You will have several options for this (email weekly, email daily, instant email, control panel). To use your control panel, I think you go to the top of the page (very top of page) where it says "settings" and click there (it doesn't display correctly on this computer and I'm not sure).

14. Grape Funk

Grape Funk Senior Member

USA
    Thanks willow, I had subscribed to a couple of threads, but couldnt figure where they were displaying the new posts! Obviously in the Settings, thanks again

15. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    you're welcome! it took me forever to figure that out, and when I did it was entirely by accident :)

16. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    Help with this letter

I wrote this letter, but I am sure it can be improved upon. Are the facts straight? Help please. Here is the letter.

We need your help. There are many people sick with the contagious retrovirus XMRV. Some researchers are claiming that the studies that found XMRV in humans are false positive results due to laboratory contamination. These researchers continue to use PCR to test the blood for XMRV even though they have been told the virus is very difficult to find in the blood. In most cases, XMRV clears from the blood soon after initial infection, but it is still found in tissue throughout the body (i.e. spleen, ovaries, cervix, prostate, intestines, etc.) Studies using PCR to test the blood only are not conclusive evidence that XMRV is not infecting humans! AGAIN, THE VIRUS CAN CLEAR FROM THE BLOOD SOON AFTER INITIAL INFECTION BUT CAN BE FOUND IN TISSUE!! XMRV is not HIV and; therefore; does not behave like HIV! Until the research community starts accepting that XMRV is a novel retrovirus that behaves differently than other well known retroviruses, many more people are going to become infected and disabled. We need more research concentrating on the areas XMRV can be found such as tissue biopsies. Please let the research move on and allow the Whittmore Peterson Institute to continue their studies on possible tissue reservoirs of XMRV.

The following report on XMRV monkey studies provides substantial proof that this virus exists in a form contagious to humans. Further, it reinforces what I have been saying--that the virus clears itself from the blood soon after infection, but can still be found infecting other areas of the body. Please read the following report if you haven’t already. For those of you who have read it, please read it again.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

(add report)

17. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi, I just wanted to reply to something that was quoted in post two:

Besides prostate, of course, a few more organs are interesting. This is the acute infection, again the lymphoid organs. We found some in the pancreas.

Very large numbers of ME/CFS patients develop type 2 diabetes. There could be a link to pancreatic XMRV.

Bye
    Alex

18. Grape Funk

Grape Funk Senior Member

USA
    Why are scientist not checking PWC for the type gene R462Q with the 40%(QQ) prevalence rate of prostate cancer they originally found in 2006?

"...A viral detection DNA microarray composed of oligonucleotides corresponding to

the most conserved sequences of all known viruses identified the presence of gammaretroviral sequences in cDNA samples from

seven of 11 R462Q-homozygous (QQ) cases, and in one of eight heterozygous (RQ) and homozygous wild-type (RR) cases. An

expanded survey of 86 tumors by specific RT-PCR detected the virus in eight of 20 QQ cases (40%), compared with only one

sample (1.5%) among 66 RQ and RR cases..."

19. Grape Funk

Grape Funk Senior Member

USA
    Mya, who is this letter to be addressed to ? And also, you can find it with pcr(certain test), it was one of the original ways, and a spanish study recently did as well. though it is not(believed to be) the most detectable way as the WPI advises. Someone else might want to chime in.

20. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    So, I said something about it being difficult to find in the blood with PCR. How could I word the rest of it better?
    And, who is responsible for funding future studies of XMRV? I meant to ask this. These are the people I would want to send a letter too.

See more popular forum discussions.