• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Another weird reaction. Comments much appreciated.

Sinclair

Today I overate at lunch. Saumon, french fries, eggs, salad.
It was a farewell with my mother family after two weeks in hometown.
I overate very exceptionally.
I realized that every time I overate I experience the following sequence of symptoms:

1. First, a feeling that I am receiving the nutrients that I have not received in a while, thus a small increase in energy levels during lunch and reduction in some symptoms as pain;
2. Followed by discrete flu-like symptoms (watery runny nose, discrete, hoarness & weakness of voice, moderate);
3. After lunch, tingling of my back muscles (right side, which is my worst side);
4. Finally, in a couple of hours after lunch, my discrete flu-like symptoms disappear and my levels of energy and symptoms come back to my 'ME normal';

Curiously, I do not perceive any form of indigestion, even though I expect my problems with constipation could be aggravated in the following few days.

W.t.h. is happening here???
Is this a mini-crash triggered by the additional effort of my gut muscles?
Are these uncommon nutrients pushing my immune system away from the position in which it is stucked?

Thanks for your comments!

Gingergrrl

You could also have food sensitivities or Leaky Gut that are different than an actual allergy. I think you talked about it on another thread, b/c you said some tests not available in your country, but I think the food sensitivity test by US Biotek lab could be really helpful for you if you can find a way to get it.

I find that I can only eat small portions of food at a time as it affects my breathing and fatigue if I eat too much. I have lost almost 20 lbs since this started b/c it was so hard for me to eat. If you eat smaller portions do you still have the symptoms (or is it more when you eat specific foods?)

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
I have similar reactions and have a number of food allergies and intolerances. You might like to explore testing and an elimination diet.

Best wishes

taniaaust1

You could also have food sensitivities or Leaky Gut that are different than an actual allergy. I think you talked about it on another thread, b/c you said some tests not available in your country, but I think the food sensitivity test by US Biotek lab could be really helpful for you if you can find a way to get it.

I find that I can only eat small portions of food at a time as it affects my breathing and fatigue if I eat too much. I have lost almost 20 lbs since this started b/c it was so hard for me to eat. If you eat smaller portions do you still have the symptoms (or is it more when you eat specific foods?)

Ive personally found with food sensitivities that amounts of a certain food can matter eg one may get away without issues with a small amount of something but a bit more or if two or more food sensitivity things are eatten in the one meal, worst reaction. This can make it all the harder to work out food sensitivities.

Dr.Patient

There is no kinship like the one we share!
Three things- the salmon, fries and eggs are fat foods.
Salads have a lot of fiber.
High quantity of food.

All these place extreme loads on the gut, and therefore deplete your energy.
The flu-like symptoms are part of the flare up of your fatigue due to the high digestive loads.

DeGenesis

I think food allergens can bind to the albumen in the egg whites and evade digestion, only to be absorbed by the gut later. I don't know what's causing your problem but I know that canned salmon has never agreed with me. Instant indigestion.

Last edited: