• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Another Psychological Disease Bites the Dust: PTSD Now Believed to Be Physical

alex3619

Labels are just bandages.
Sometimes they are just Emperors New Bandages.

A label is a dangerous thing. It can lead to ovegeneralizations, and overgeneralizations to things not similar to other things with that label. This can result in what is called a category mistake. That is something is treated as though it was like something else.

Last edited:
I agree @lansbergen, labels dont always = disease

there have been some honest attempts over the years to find out what is wrong with me.

differential diagnosis is difficult because so many things overlap.

no way do i have 15 discrete diseases. but some doctors think i do. thats the problem. the overlaps are not being taken into account.

some doctors went the other way and thought i had no diseases, just a "psych" problem that resembled 15 different diseases, INCLUDING FUSED SACROILLIAC JOINTS. how can a psych problem cause joint fusion. Jokers.

i cant win. I dont have 0 diseases. i dont have 15 diseases.

all i know is that just about everything improved greatly with what appears to be mast cell treatment. the clear physical things like anky spon, intersection syndrome, EDS HT, all improved. and so did the vertigo, dry eyes, tinnitus, headache, NMH, PEM, my autism-like behavior (i line objects up in straight lines, in size order. i cant stand it when somebody moves something out of line). the strange non-traumatic memory flashbacks also stopped.

i just dont know what to make of it all, but mast cells seem to be in the middle of this mix somehow.

Hip

The problem is that (as always in psychology) that no one knows or agrees what exactly PTSD can be and how to diagnose it correctly. PTSD can be a lot of things.

Can I ask where you read that there is a disagreement about the definition of PTSD, and a disagreement on how to diagnose PTSD correctly?

The DSM-V provides a very clearcut definition and set of diagnostic criteria for PTSD:

DSM-5 Criteria for PTSD | BrainLine Military