1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Another Medical Kidnapping

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by leela, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    Yes, @Valentijn catastrophic consequences are not worth taking a risk for.

I can't believe what's going on in the medical community these days. It's insane.
    WillowJ, Ren, leela and 1 other person like this.
  2. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...til-tuesday/bW9RoDrazynxVw575NmtBL/story.html
    Valentijn likes this.
  3. Dreambirdie

N. California
    A MIRACLE FOR JUSTINA just posted this on their FB PAGE

Please we need your help immediately!!!
    CALL & FILE A COMPLAINT against DCF & Judge Joseph Johnston!!
    Here are the correct numbers & direct lines for both! Here is the info for both:

Gail Garringer is the Child Advocate for the state of MASS (617) 979-8360 or toll-free (866) 790-3690

Chief Justice Michael Edgerton, Administrative Office of the Juvenile Court, 3 Center Plaza 7th Floor, Boston MA 02108 phone 617-788-6550

DCF 617.748.2444

Call now & file a complaint! If DCF doesn't call back-keep calling all week until they do!!
    leela likes this.
  4. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    These assholes make me so mad with their constant delays! Don't they get it that every day, every hour, they delay they extend Justina's suffering and fear, and the separation from her friends and family! Screw them and their stupid face-saving politics!
    Ren and Valentijn like this.
  5. Dreambirdie

N. California
    WHERE is Gloria Allred?

This is exactly the kind of attorney needed to slap a high profile civil rights lawsuit on all these officially sanctioned abusers. I want to see all their licenses to practice law and medicine revoked, and I want to see some MAJOR jail time.
    Ren, Valentijn and leela like this.
  6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I would think this means the situation may not be quite as simplistic as the media is reporting. With all the lawsuit threats, I would think the judge is making sure he is dotting his Is and crossing his Its.

What this delay means as far as the decision going one way or another, I have no idea.

Barb
  7. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
  8. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    OMG! Absolutely shocking! My heart is totally broken for Justina. There just aren't words.
  9. Dreambirdie

N. California
    Holy crap. What a farce the justice system is. It's disgusting.
    Ren likes this.
  10. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    They really need some better lawyers.
    WillowJ and SOC like this.
  11. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
  12. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Senior Member

USA
    Wow, this is incredible! I wonder what evidence was presented on the other side that convinced the judge.
  13. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Judges do not make a decision like this lightly.

Justina was at BCH for three months before she entered the psych ward. Three months of testing and being observed. She wasn't wrenched from the ER and immediately put in the psych ward.

We only have the parents side of the story. Do we even know if she was diagnosed with a somataform illness? Even if she unfortunately was, she may still have a mitochondria disorder and a co morbid psychiatric condition not related to a diagnosis of somataform illness.

The psych ward at BCH is for eating disorders and patients who are in danger of hurting themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if the eating disorder is the problem as that often calls for a long hospital stay. I am only speculating here as I simply don't know.

Her medical services are now at Tuffs. Tuffs also reported the parents to family services for refusing mental health services. While it was unfounded my point is that this is not the first time this issue has been brought up.

The doctor at Tuffs says he is not 100% sure Justina has mitochondria disease but it's possible he said this because it's a difficult condition to diagnose and not that she doesn't have it.

Whether or not Justina has mitochondria disease, her mental health could be a separate issue. If the parents refused this and her life was at stake because she was not getting all the services she needed, that is a form of abuse. However, there's usually more occurring than this for the state to take custody.

The hospital, social services as well as the court are not able to talk due to patient confidentially which is an issue taken seriously in the states, especially since HIPPA. That means we don't have their side of the story.

I am just putting in my two cents worth and have no intention of debating this, especially when the debate is about "facts" from the parents.

We have seen other similar cases like this with me/cfs and are very sensitive to this issue. In fact we need to be. But we may not be able to compare them with this case.

I am not doubting that Justina's parents love her but they may be misguided.

We may never know the true facts, but I hope the best for Justina.

Barb
  14. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Leaked: Four Key Details Directly From Judge’s ‘Huge’ Custody Ruling in Justina Pelletier Case

Mar. 25, 2014 11:01pm
    By Jason Howerton
  15. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    So basically the judge is a fucking moron who believes in things for which there is 0 scientific evidence.
  16. Ren

Ren One of nineteen million dark horses.

"...stated his belief..."

People in power always have a narrative which they use to justify their atrocities. Always. Narrative plus power and arrogance. And then the herd of course does the rest. We've never left the Dark Ages. We have more indoor plumbing and fewer fleas, but intellectually?
  17. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    It's been more than a year...if Boston was right about her diagnosis (impossible as doesn't exist but for argument) she should be better. But instead she is worse. Why isn't that enough right there?

Also, if my child had been ripped from me like this, we would still be reading about all the angry things I had said. Truly, it's a great goal to always be calm and reasonable but I don't blame the family for the appropriate expression of anger in this situation. Truly, what is a little bit of name calling in what appears to be a life or death situation?
    Ren, WillowJ, Iquitos and 3 others like this.
  18. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    So typical of abusers. Go watch the original UK film "gaslight".
    Do things that would make any sane person rail and resist, then point to how "unreasonable" and "resistant" they are.

@barbc, I read that the hospital called DCH after three *days*, not three months.

And they still reportedly have not consulted her doctors from Tufts.
  19. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

DCF was indeed called after three days but it wasn't until April that she was transferred to the psychiatric ward, unless she was in a different psych ward of the hospital. I will doublecheck this.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/12/15/justina/vnwzbbNdiodSD7WDTh6xZI/story.html

Barb
  20. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    "Do things that would make any sane person rail and resist, then point to how "unreasonable" and "resistant" they are."

Exactly! I once worked in a State mental hospital where people were incarcerated by fiat, not with any due process. As staff, I had to attend sessions regarding each patient I interacted with. The psychiatrist was a sadist. One man had been put in there because he had threatened violence to his wife, the daughter of the richest people around, and not the man they had wanted her to marry. She, herself, said he had never been violent against her.

This psychiatrist would say things designed to provoke anger from the man and if he responded normally, the pscyhiatrist would say he had to stay another 6 weeks because of anger issues. When he did not respond to the provocation, the shrink would say he had to stay another 6 weeks because he was repressing his normal emotions.

When I left that job the man had already been in there for more than 6 months. His wife testified that her parents were just trying to keep them apart and were pressuring her to divorce him before they let him out.

See more popular forum discussions.