1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Another Medical Kidnapping

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by leela, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Those conditions only applied while the parents didn't have legal custody. Now that they have full custody returned to them, they can do whatever the hell they (and their real doctors) want :)

taniaaust1 likes this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Yes, but additionally the DCF and the judiciary have to rely on medical experts. The hospital made claims based on their own completely unsubstantiated beliefs, and almost certainly oversold those beliefs as medical fact. The hospital is also the one who got the other parties involved, and was the driving factor behind Justina's incarceration.

I'd think the hospital is by far the most culpable party, and probably the most vulnerable to a lawsuit as well.

Little Bluestem and taniaaust1 like this.
  3. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

Because Justina's case involved the judicial system, she may have had an attorney assigned to her, even though this was family court. If so, I wonder what that individual did.

I must say I didn't much care for her parents but I sympathized with them.

Valentijn likes this.
  4. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I am behind on reading the forum and just now saw this. What great news! 16 month is a long time in the life of a teenager. So much will have gone on in the life of Justina's friends that it will be difficult for her to 'catch up' with them. I suppose she will be a year behind in school now. I hope she is recovered enough to attend school in the fall.

taniaaust1, WillowJ and Valentijn like this.
  5. Little Bluestem

Midwest, USA
    Iquitos and Nielk like this.
  6. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    Reminds me of the cases where a doctor had a woman arrested and handcuffed to a hospital bed for the duration of her pregnancy because she didn't follow his advice to stop smoking and stop having sex with her husband. And another where a doctor wanted to do a C-section on a woman who had had 4-5 babies already and knew her own pattern in labor. By the time the doctor got a judge to authorize her forced surgery, she had already given birth.

These doctors who think they are God, and the judges who enforce that attitude, how very, very scary.

taniaaust1 likes this.
  7. Little Bluestem

Midwest, USA
  8. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/12/15/justina/vnwzbbNdiodSD7WDTh6xZI/story.html

The article was interesting, it talked about how there has been 5 of these causes at just that hospital in a 12 mth period. One was another mito case, two were PANDAS cases.

natasa778, Valentijn and Cheshire like this.
  9. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

the psychologist responsible for this got a NIH grant to research somatisation disorders. The day before justina was kidnapped another child that had been kidnapped and held for 6 months (for having a somatisation disorder) got released from Children's. Again the same psychologist was involved in that case.

The NIH sponsored research ended in April. Justina got released in June.

draw your own conclusions.

10. Jackie M

Jackie M

Illinois USA
    :jaw-drop:

See more popular forum discussions.