1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Another ME/CFS death today, Denise from the Netherlands

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Spring, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Spring

Spring Senior Member

Netherlands
    From the ME/CFS memorial Facebookpage:

'1,5 hrs ago Denise de Hoop died, a real warrior to our cause. Her GP and doctors in hospital ignored her complaints of pain and swelling in her breast and later found out -much and much too late- she suffered from cancer. By that time there was nothing more they could do. Denise fought for our cause till the last moment, even in hospital she tried to educate doctors and nurses and a few days before she died, she gave an interview to a local newspaper although that took away the last bit of energy she had. Through our forum we witnessed her struggle on a nearly daily basis and will miss her very much. She was one brave woman..'

I've followed this women on the Dutch forum and she was really remarkable. She did multiple interviews and was always fighting for ME although she was later diagnosed with breast cancer. Every doctor or nurse she saw she was educating about ME. People are working to make a book from her posts on the Dutch forum.
    Just a few days ago she wrote on the forum she could not fight for ME anymore. It was her goodbye to us all. But in the interview that is published today in the local newspaper she is asking people to sign the Dutch petition on ME/CFS, so even now she is dead, she is still advocating.

Rest in peace Denise..
  2. Spring

Spring Senior Member

Netherlands
  3. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Either those bastards apologize uttelry, *UNRESERVEDLY* with NO attempt to shirkresponsibility, guilt or stupidity
    or
    *RETRIBUTION* must happen to afford justice for those already wronged,and vitally,prevent more such evils. Life Imprisonment for the worst SOBs and exposing their venal crap in court is direly needed
    "Thou Shalt Not Get Away With It, Scumbags!"
    Sigh. Always ALWAYs takes deaths and horrendous injuries, sick abuse etc in droves, then expose's, that finally get through to the IDIOT "Sheeple", 'cause leaders only care if their control is threatened, before things change, be it this, dangerous roadways,dangerous business practices or whatever. How damn rarely is it someone admits that "OOps!" something is wrong, needs fixed,except by some poor sod suffering or dying?
    iskc of it, SICK to DEATH of it.

interestingly was something I saw on a tabloid front page today (they suck but hey), about thousands of UK docs still practicing yet they had convictions for serious crime, from child abuse, fraud to drug crimes.
    One law for rest of us, anotherfor the rich and "professional classes"
    heapsreal and MishMash like this.
  4. PNR2008

PNR2008 Senior Member

OH USA
    I am sorry for this loss.
  5. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    So sorry. Thanks for letting us know Spring.

Is there a photo of her online or one that you could paste in here so that we could see our sister?

Sushi
    ggingues likes this.
  6. Spring

Spring Senior Member

Netherlands
    Hi Sushi,

Good idea. I've asked which one I could share. I hope to place one tomorrow.

Spring
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I read this thread when it was first posted. I didn't know what to say. I still do not know what to say, nothing seems adequate. Perhaps the best thing I should say is that, along with other cases of severe neglect, we should never forget. Such inhumanity is unacceptable. Those responsible should never be allowed to forget it until they own up to their part and move to join the solution, rather than represent the problem.

So long as the medical profession is legally protected from repercussions of gross failure in care, then we will see this situation continue. While I am uncomfortable with the culture of litigation that occurs in the USA for example, there are many situations in which a litigation culture is clearly superior. This is one of them.

I hope that the friends and family of Denise can come to terms with this, and that her story and their story will be heard and understood.

Deeply saddened on yet another occasion, Alex.
    roxie60, Valentijn, leela and 4 others like this.
  8. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    This is sad.

All too often doctors dismiss ME patients symptoms just cause they have ME/CFS.

Her case makes me think how Ive never had a colonopsy..even thou I get bowel bleeding and my bowel often isnt working right and my great grandmother died of bowel cancer. Ive told several doctors I worry about that but none have any interest in finding out exactly what my issue is and rather just guess.
  9. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    If they only knew something about ME they would realise we are a higher risk group for cancers Maybe they know now but abit too late.
    Enid likes this.
  10. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I am glad to learn that there is a ME/CFS Memorial Facebookpage. That should make more people aware of how serious this illness is.

I am not sure I would be accepting apologies at this late date. There has been plenty of time for that already. The irresponsible parties need to be put where they cannot harm others.

Here in the US of A, doctors are being advised by insurance company lawyers to admit it and apologize when they make a mistake because studies have found that people are less likely to sue over a medical error if the doctor apologizes. While I suppose there is some benefit in this as it forces the doctors to admit that they have made a mistake, I very much doubt the sincerity of the apology.
  11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Little Bluestem, apology isn't enough, I agree. They have to be part of the system that fixes things. That is in effect both a form of restitution and moving to make sure it never happens again. Litigation is one way to drive that, but not the only one, and it can induce the guilty party to cover up issues, and misdirect enquiry.

The first step though is acknowledgement of a mistake. The second step is removal of medical licences where doctors had direct responsibility.

It isn't enough to punish those who did this. The primary goal is to stop it ever happening again. Punishment often just causes it to become secretive, protected, etc. .... about what we see in medical culture currently.
    Valentijn likes this.
  12. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Avoid the ME/CFS diagnosis at all cost. It is a death warrant, it seems. The same goes for all psychiatric diagnoses. After you receive the ME/CFS or any psychiatric diagnosis, any future symptoms you complain of will be written off as hysteria, delusion and hypochondria.
  13. CallieAndToby

CallieAndToby Senior Member

florida
  14. Spring

Spring Senior Member

Netherlands
  15. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
  16. Spring

Spring Senior Member

Netherlands