New era for ME/CFS research as top cytokine study attracts media headlines
The immune systems of patients who have recently developed ME/CFS look markedly different from those who have been ill for much longer, according to a major new study from Drs. Ian Lipkin and Mady Hornig at Columbia University. This shift in immune function hadn’t been seen before.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Another Fibromyalgia & Exercise Study. Sigh." by Adrienne Dellwo

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia' started by Tom Kindlon, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

WillowJ and Valentijn like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

Here's the abstract for the particular paper. But her comments are more general than this one paper.

3. Tom Kindlon

I'm not up-to-date with the Fibromyalgia literature. Fibromyalgia seems to be heterogeneous and I suspect some don't have the exercise problems seen in ME/CFS.

Anyway, here's an extract from my paper:

user9876 likes this.
  4. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Add a double 'sigh' from me............

5. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

15.9% of the time it works every time.

beaker, Sean, SOC and 3 others like this.
  6. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    Who are these people with Fibromyalgia who can exercise moderately vigorously (whatever that means) without increasing their pain? I have tried to do this more than once. Always, that night, and for several days later, I end up feeling like I got the crap beaten out of me (that's not counting the fatigue and flu). I know several people with FMS. I have never met anyone who feels better after vigorous exercise (even moderately vigorous:thumbdown:) . Amazing!

On this: "Although sustained physical activity was not associated with greater clinical benefit compared to unsustained physical activity, these findings also suggest that performing greater volumes of physical activity is not associated with worsening pain in FM."

Huh?! WTH?

Firestormm likes this.
  7. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    hmm, maybe the low activity group didn't do exercise or improve because... they were more ill? just a thought.

so, exercise improved pain severity but did not improve pain severity? that's very curious. Also exercise did not significantly impact physical function, well-being, or depression. usually it's claimed this will do all 4.

this appears to be totally unsupported and gratuitous according to the information in the abstract.

8. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
  9. Shell

Shell Senior Member

England
    I'm fast coming to the conclusion that a whole truck load of supposedly peer reviewed studies and research is nothing more than snake oil. I can't tell whether it's just lack of integrity or education that's the problem. I'm afraid I am beginning to think it's both.

How many people with a dx of FMS have no comorbidities?
    How many people with a dx of FMS find that ADLs alone can cause a crash? Surely I am not the only one?
    If just getting through ADLs can make a person ill - how in the name of the corpse of common sense is extra exercise going to help?
    If there are a group of people with mild FMS and nothing else who find that exercise helps them - well good for them. But to extrapolate from that the idea that all PWFMS should try it, is simply barmy.

WillowJ and Tom Kindlon like this.
  10. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    A friend with fibromyalgia just told me she got a job and also started working out. I really do hope everything goes well for her, but I'm still concerned. I'm confused though about how they determine the difference between FMS and CFS/ME. The symptoms list for each illness is practically the same. For that matter, the symptoms list of Lyme is pretty similar too except that the neurological symptoms of Lyme are less likely (but not completely unheard of). Someone did post a study comparing mitochondrial function of FMS and CFS/ME so I guess they do have a way (I didn't read the study:p), but even if there is a way to differentiate between the two illnesses my guess is that most doctors don't know the difference.

WillowJ likes this.
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I've just read the full paper.
    It makes no mention of sub-grouping/heterogeneity within the FMS construct. Given only 15.9% sustained increased activity and sustained the increase, this statement shouldn't apply to the other 83.1%:

12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

From the Introduction:

From discussion, for what it's worth:

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.