• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Another Contest Vivant - to WIN Reseach Money!!

helen41

thankyou for all you do, Dolphin. It is so helpful to have an idea where to put endorsements. Looks like my endorsements are going back to IACFS again today. Yesterday a voter asked me to make up my mind- I guess I'm getting people confused LOL

Dolphin

thankyou for all you do, Dolphin. It is so helpful to have an idea where to put endorsements. Looks like my endorsements are going back to IACFS again today. Yesterday a voter asked me to make up my mind- I guess I'm getting people confused LOL
Great work, helen41. You're doing proper work. I'm just releasing my "inner-nerd".;)

frenchtulip

Thanks to everyone here for all the work you are doing! I check the comments and analyses several times a day to help decide how to vote in the evening (for my husband and me). Helen, you are pulling in votes that may be critically important in the end! Great work, everyone!

Dolphin

Canada

:Sign Good Job: Nightingale Research Foundation got 22 votes today to move it up to 17th with 70 votes, 21 votes ahead of 21st position. 22 votes a day for the next three days should probably be enough. Looking at the movements, there looks like there are 21 charities in the running i.e. if the Nightingale Research Foundation can pass out one of the ones above that are a bit sleepy/don't have many daily voters or some of the ones below it don't keep getting new voters, it is is a good position.
Nightingale Research Foundation: 70 + 21 = 91 (15th)
21st position: 49 + 16 = 65

There is a newish entrant, WHISTLER ADAPTIVE SPORTS PROGRAM SOCIETY, who are currently at 20. If they start jumping up quickly the way "Saint John Regional Hospital Foundation NB" did (it's on 73 now - was on 1, 3 days ago), they coud be a threat. Some of the ones just below Nightingale Research Foundation (18th, 19th and 20th) do look like they will pass the Nightingale Research Foundation (unfortunately don't have data on them for yesterday) so it depends on others whether they "wake up" or not.

With the votes Helen41 got for National ME/FM Action Network moving them up to 298, they look safer again (although not "WPI-safe").
Nightingale Research Foundation: 91 + 8 = 99 (18th)

As I suggested would likely happen eventually, yesterday's 18th, 19th and 20th (Terrace 747 Air Cadet, Muscular Dystrophy Canada & Saint John Regional Hospital Foundation) have passed out the NRF.

However not too much movement from others:
Progressive Alternatives Society of Calgary 90 + 5 = 95 (19th)
National Pancreatic Cancer Canada Foundation 86 + 1 = 87 (20th)
and more importantly:
21st: Hope's Home 65 + 6 = 71
22nd: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Saint John 55 + 10 = 65

WHISTLER ADAPTIVE SPORTS PROGRAM SOCIETY 20 + 13 = 33 hasn't made the move I thought it might make.

So even though 8 votes for the NRF isn't a good day, the others are so sluggish it is actually looking in a pretty good position.

ETA: National ME/FM Action Network 298 + 33 = 331. Given I think the NRF is looking quite good on 99 and moving up slowly, I certainly think the National ME/FM Action Network is looking good to get into Round 2.

Dolphin

Eastern

20th position: 1328 + 166 = 1494

The CFIDS Association of America: 609 + 25 = 634

So gap increased by 141 to 870.
20th position: 1494 + 182 = 1676

The CFIDS Association of America: 634 + 31 = 665

20th position: 1676 + 340 = 2016

The CFIDS Association of America 665 + 15 = 680

Eastern is one tough group! Group of death as some sports commentators can say.

Dolphin

Central in last 24 hours

:eek:

IACFS/ME International Association for Chronic Fatigue 624 + 71 = 695

21st position: 429 + 116 = 546
What happened to the IACFS/ME vote? :eek:

IACFS/ME: 695 + 25 = 720 (down from +71)

21st position: 546 + 71 = 617 (down from +116)

Given there is now one extra day, "on average", if the gap keeps decreasing by the same amount, the IACFS/ME will be passed out on the last day.

I think I will vote for them tomorrow as I think they are probably more likely to use donations than the Nightingale Research Foundation.

IACFS/ME: 720 + 80 = 800 (13th) (much better day for the IACFS/ME)

21st position 617 + 90 = 707

So gap only narrowed by 10 to 93. But the IACFS/ME better not have a day like it did the day before yesterday (25) or it will really struggle (indeed the day before that, it got 71 but still the gap narrowed by 45 as 21st went up by 116). It looks like it could be very close - a few votes either way could do it. Helen did a lot of good work today which brought in votes presumably. I also mailed 17 mailing list suggesting the IACFS/ME thru' June 11.

Dolphin

Mountain over last 24 hours

20th position: 397 + 52 = 449

The Rocky Mountain CFS/ME & FM Association: 260 + 11 = 271
The Rocky Mountain CFS/ME & FM Association: 271 + 42 = 323

20th position: 449 + 70 = 519

So gap increased by 28 to 198.

It will be very tough for the Rocky Mountain CFS/ME & FM Association to qualify.
The Rocky Mountain CFS/ME & FM Association: 323 + 72 = 395

20th position: 519 + 49 = 568

So the Rocky Mountain CFS/ME & FM Association closed gap by 23 to 173. However, the gap needs to close by a lot more than that each day. 21st is on 567 so even if one of the ones above it slow down, it's in the best position to take a top 20 position.

If assume that 20th goes up by 120 in last 2 and a bit days, then the Rocky Mountain CFS/ME & FM Association would need to get 293 - it hasn't received anything close to that before.

Dolphin

Pacific over last 24 hours: WPI is as safe as houses -consider endorsing other groups

Whittemore Peterson Institute: 4760 + 501 = 5261

Be Perfect Foundation: 4927 + 608 = 5535

21st position: 315 + 34 = 349
(over 25 hours)

Whittemore Peterson Institute: 5261 + 527 = 5786

Be Perfect Foundation: 5535 + 534 = 6069

21st position: 349 + 89 = 438

Remember, folks, some people currently voting for other groups will switch to the WPI.
Whittemore Peterson Institute: 5786 +480 = 6266

Be Perfect Foundation: 6069 + 403 = 6472

21st position: 438 + 76 = 514

Sasha

Fine, thank you
IACFS/ME: 720 + 80 = 800 (13th) (much better day for the IACFS/ME)

21st position 617 + 90 = 707

So gap only narrowed by 10 to 93. But the IACFS/ME better not have a day like it did the day before yesterday (25) or it will really struggle (indeed the day before that, it got 71 but still the gap narrowed by 45 as 21st went up by 116). It looks like it could be very close - a few votes either way could do it. Helen did a lot of good work today which brought in votes presumably. I also mailed 17 mailing list suggesting the IACFS/ME thru' June 11.

Thanks again for all this analysis, Dolphin, you're doing a great job! I've voted for IACFS/ME again today.

Dolphin

I wrote this on Sunday - it's old news now in a way:

[This is probably way more than most people need to know but some regular Vivint voters may find it of interest. Ideally one should vote daily but it is not essential. The easiest way to remember is to sign up to say you're attending an event e.g. <http://on.fb.me/lMtrYd> i.e.
<http://www.facebook.com/?sk=events&ap=1#!/event.php?eid=121179681298558> .
You will then get a daily E-mail reminder. Don't worry: no one will keep track as to whether you actually do or don't vote each day! Voting re-starts in less than 2 days.]

=======================================

4 ME-type charities qualified for Round 2:

- IACFS/ME International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & ME
http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/1124

- National ME/FM Action Network
http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/855

- Nightingale Research Foundation
http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/1129

- Whittemore Peterson Institute
http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/769
(more detailed descriptions are below - Appendix A)

Other groups didn't make it. The contest was well under way when most people in the ME/CFS community knew about it which meant some groups from other causes had a big advantage (it started on April 25).
It was harder to qualify from some regions (Canada was by far the easiest to qualify from)

These groups are now eligible for two things:

-----

(i) Matching gifts (up to $2500 in total) (more details copied below - Appendix C)

[TK: I wonder will there be two lots of $2500 as the prize money only adds up to $750,000 and 100 x $2500 only gets to $1m]

------

(ii) entry into Round 2 where $750,000 will be given to first place overall
($250,000) and the five remaining regional winners.

An important thing to remember is that if the WPI were to come second in its region, it could still win $100,000 if the group that more than it won overall.
This is made clear in the rules
http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/overview where it says there are six winners.

-----

I think it is only worthwhile voting for a charity that has a chance of winning prize-money.

Based on what happened in round 1, unless there is a change in voting patterns, I think if one is thinking tactically, the groups to vote for are Whittemore Peterson Institute and perhaps the National ME/FM Action Network.
There is even a chance it could make "tactical sense" to vote for the Be Perfect Foundation near the end, if it is way ahead of the Whittemore Peterson Institute and is in the running for the top prize overall. If it got top prize overall, then the WPI would be eligible for $100,000 for coming second.

Also, based on Round 1, out of the ME-type charities, only the Whittemore Peterson Institute would seem to have a chance of winning the $250,000.

Some people may think the WPI don't have a great chance of winning the overall prize as they weren't near the top overall at the end of Round 1.

However, other groups had a big head-start as the voting started on April 25 (one can tell from their Vivint number/website address whether they registered early or not)

I started saving the voting totals early on June 1st (my time), just over 11 days before the voting ended.

I thought there might be the odd person interested in these figures so I've copied them below (Appendix B).

From those who finished in the top 5 in each region, here are the top
averages:

- Team Sanfilippo Foundation 0 + 5385 = 5385 (approx. 598 votes per day) (they only showed up on leaderboard (when I was saving it) 8 days before the end

- Ruth Paz Foundation LA 0 + 1840 = 1840 (approx. 460 votes per day) (they only showed up on leaderboard (at the time I was saving it each day) 3 days before the end

- Be Perfect Foundation 2062+5250=7312 (approx. 477 votes per day)

- Whittemore Peterson Institute 2641 + 4537 = 7178 (approx. 412 votes per
day)

- CHERUBS 3468 + 4463 = 7931 (approx. 405 votes per day)

I am not going to go through all the top 20s as have other things to do.

Of note, in Canada:

Light and Love Home- Vancouver BC 0 + 615 = 615 (approx. 202 votes per day) (they only showed up on leaderboard (when I was saving it) 3 days before the end with 9 votes so 615-9/3=202 They actually got 589 in the last day!!

Remember that the ME/CFS vote was split in Round 1 - perhaps 100+ people were voting for other groups but they will vote for the Whittemore Peterson Institute in Round 2.

So the Whittemore Peterson Institute should be in with a good chance.

Tom

----------------
Appendix A: Vivint descriptions:

-------------

http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/769

Whittemore Peterson Institute

region rank: 2

endorsements so far:7178

behind the leader: 134

Region: Pacific

Description: The Whittemore Peterson Institute for Neuro-Immune Disease exists to bring discovery, knowledge, and effective treatments to patients with illnesses that are caused by acquired dysregulation of both the immune system and the nervous system, often resulting in life long disease and disability. Our goals include: * Facilitate and Advance patient care * Research the pathophysiology of neuro-immune diseases such as ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, atypical MS, and autism * Develop therapeutics, diagnostics and prevention strategies for this spectrum of diseases * Advance and support medical education and physician training

Endorse get banner ads to advertise this charity on your site or blog >
http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproje...banners?id=769
----------

http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/855

National ME/FM Action Network

region rank: 8

endorsements so far: 346

behind the leader: 1705

Region: Canada

Description: The National ME/FM Action Network is a Canadian, registered charitable organization of volunteers reaching out internationally and dedicated to helping the medical, legal and general public in spreading awareness for ME/CFS and FMS

get banner ads to advertise this charity on your site or blog >
http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproje...banners?id=855
-----------

http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/1129

Nightingale Research Foundation

region rank: 19
endorsements so far: 114

behind the leader: 1937

Region: Canada

Description: The purpose of the Foundation is to explore and understand Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (M.E. and CFS) and fibromyalgia-type illnesses. Since its inception, NRF has provided technical assistance to physicians, nurses, other health care professionals and researchers, as well as information to help and encourage thousands of North Americans who are patients or have family disabled by M.E. or CFS. The Foundation is known internationally for its dedication to research and rigorous medical investigation of M.E. and CFS disabled patients throughout its history.

http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproje...anners?id=1129
-----------

http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/1124

IACFS/ME International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & ME

region rank: 19

endorsements so far: 988

behind the leader: 9212

Region: Central

Description: Mission Statement The mission of the IACFS/ME is to promote, stimulate and coordinate the exchange of ideas related to CFS, ME and fibromyalgia (FM) research, patient care and treatment. In addition, the IACFS/ME periodically reviews the current research and treatment literature and media reports for the benefit of scientists, clinicians and patients.
The IACFS/ME also conducts and/or participates in local, national, and international scientific conferences in order to promote and evaluate new research and to encourage future research ventures and cooperative activities to advance scientific and clinical knowledge of these illnesses.

The IACFS/ME shall at all times be organized and operated exclusively for charitable, scientific, literary or educational purposes as a qualified exempt organization described under section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue code of 1986 and the regulations promulgated thereunder as they may now exist or as they may be hereafter amended

http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproje...anners?id=1124
------------

Appendix B: Top 5 from each region incl. daily averages in last 11 days:

-----------

Pacific:
Be Perfect Foundation 2062+5250=7312 (approx. 477 votes per day)

Whittemore Peterson Institute 2641 + 4537 = 7178 (approx. 412 votes per day)

Prader-Willi California Foundation 1266 + 943 = 2209 (approx. 86 votes per day)

Courage To Be You 1436 + 453 = 1889 (approx. 41 votes per day)

NextGen Academy 90 + 1609 = 1699 (approx. 146 votes per day)

-----------

Mountain:
Utah Prader-Willi Syndrome Association 7684 + 3479 = 11163 (approx. 316 votes per day)

Now I Can Foundation 1857 + 819 = 2676 (approx. 74 votes per day)

Bikes for Kids Utah 1490 + 599 = 2089 (approx. 54 votes per day)

Heart 2 Home Foundation 695 + 714 = 1409 (approx. 65 votes per day)

Learning for Life in Utah County 1106 + 291 = 1397 (approx. 26 votes per
day)

----------

Central:
Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics (FAST) 5892 + 4308 = 10200 (approx. 392 votes per day)

Tapestries of Life Ministries 5188 + 3251 = 8439 (approx. 296 votes per day)

Military Moms and Wives of Brazoria County 2138 + 1841 = 3979 (approx. 167 votes per day)

Lindsay Foundation 1828 + 2024 = 3852 (approx. 184 votes per day)

Ruth Paz Foundation LA 0 + 1840 = 1840 (approx. 460 votes per day) (they only showed up on leaderboard (when I was saving it) 3 days before the end

-----------

Eastern:
Childhood Apraxia of Speech Association of North America 4414 + 3824 = 8238 (approx. 347 votes per day)

CHERUBS 3468 + 4463 = 7931 (approx. 405 votes per day)

Team Sanfilippo Foundation 0 + 5385 = 5385 (approx. 598 votes per day) (they only showed up on leaderboard (when I was saving it) 8 days before the end

CFC International 956 + 3412 = 4368 (approx. 310 votes per day)

Dravet Syndrome Foundation 2508 + 1463 = 3971 (approx. 133 votes per day)

---------

Canada:
Foundation for Prader-Willi Research Canada 1421 + 630 = 2051 (approx. 57 votes per day)

Blue Heron Support Services Association 984 + 577 = 1561 (approx. 52 votes per day)

A Child's Voice Foundation 474 + 264 = 738 (approx. 24 votes per day)

Light and Love Home- Vancouver BC 0 + 615 = 615 (approx. 202 votes per day) (they only showed up on leaderboard (when I was saving it) 3 days before the end with 9 votes so 615-9/3=202 They actually got 589 in the last day!!

Shepherd's Gate Ministries Inc. SK 7 + 557 = 564 (approx. 51 votes per day)

Somebody had some figures from last year and with two days to go, the overall winner last year had received approximately 500 votes a day.

------------

Appendix C: Describing matching donations

http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/overview

What is a matching gift?
A matching gift is a donation made to a qualifying finalist charity. These gifts, donated by Vivint, match eligible donations made by the public through the Vivint Gives Back website. Vivint will match donations made by the public on a one-to-one basis, up to $2,500 per finalist charity.
Donations to the Matching Gift program can be made only during specified periods of Phase II of the contest. What does all that mean? It means that when you make a donation to a finalist charity during one of our matching periods, Vivint will match that gift dollar for dollar!

How do I make a donation that will be matched?
Once a matching period has been announced, any member of the public who is eligible to vote for a charity (i.e., has a Facebook login) is eligible to make a donation that will be matched through the Vivint Gives Back Project.
All gifts must be made through the Vivint Gives Back website during the matching period to be eligible. For a public donation to qualify for a match through the Vivint Gives Back Project, the donation must be a charitable contribution. These contributions are deductible on your federal income tax return. If the donor, any member of the donor's family, or any individual designated by the donor has received or will receive a benefit as the result of the contribution, the donation will not be matched.

Can I select any charity to donate to and have it matched?
Donations will be collected and matched only for eligible charities participating in the Vivint Gives Back Project.

Is there a limit to how much I can give? How much is matched?
Public donations are matched on a one-to-one (dollar-for-dollar) basis.
However, Vivint Gives Back will match up to a maximum of $50 for each individual donor. Vivint Gives Back will match public donations up to $2,500 for each finalist charity.

When will the matching periods be held?
Matching periods will take place throughout Phase II of the contest. Vivint will announce these matching periods on the Vivint Gives Back website.