• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Another Contest Vivant - to WIN Reseach Money!!

Dolphin

Eastern over last 24 hours: CAA voters should give up and vote for another group

20th position: 1328 + 166 = 1494

The CFIDS Association of America: 609 + 25 = 634

So gap increased by 141 to 870.

If 20th position goes up by 166 a day, CAA would need to get around 460 a day.

If 20th position goes up by 200 a day (quite possible with the competitive region it is), CAA would need to get around 500 a day.

Neither is going to happen I think it's fair to say (considering they got 25 votes today).

Dolphin

Pacific over last 24 hours: WPI is as safe as houses -consider endorsing other groups

Whittemore Peterson Institute: 4760 + 501 = 5261

Be Perfect Foundation: 4927 + 608 = 5535

21st position: 315 + 34 = 349

If the WPI got no more votes (not going to happen), 21st position would need to get 1500 a day (and lots of other groups would also need to get huge numbers which isn't going to happen e.g. 3rd place, Prader-Willi California Foundation, chugs along - it only got 91 votes yesterday 1720 + 91 = 1811).

Sasha

Fine, thank you
:eek:

IACFS/ME International Association for Chronic Fatigue 624 + 71 = 695

21st position: 429 + 116 = 546

i.e. The gap closed by 45. Over 3 days that would mean closing by 105 (or over 3 days 3.5 hrs, 122). Currently the gap is 149 which mean the IACFS/ME would just make it.

Thanks for these analyses, Dolphin, they're exactly what we need - I've endorsed IACFS/ME again today.

Purple

Bundle of purpliness
Not sure if this has been mentioned as I haven't been able to read this whole thread but the following might be useful:

1. If someone will be preparing a leaflet/flyer for the second round of voting (similar to Chase Community Giving), it might be useful to include step-by-step instructions with screenshots (annotated if necessary) guiding the reader through the steps needed to cast their vote (with personal info blanked out, of course). This might be useful especially for non-English speakers or people not used to working with computers.

2. A video with similar instructions to put on youtube (for people to link to if needed) - similar to the one someone created for Chase Community Giving.

3. If I remember correctly, there was a singer who voted for WPI in the Chase Community Giving contest (she has thousands of fans on Facebook). Perhaps someone can contact her to draw attention to this contest?

Dolphin

No energy to read the whole thread and what I should do.
I would prefer to vote for the Canadian one but is it wise?
Let me know.
It's possibly 50/50 with regard to Nightingale Research Foundation whether they will make.

National ME/FM Action Network are most likely safe (95++%) but given that they might have a chance of winning in Round 2, more votes still have a value to try to be close to 100% safe.

helen41

I am gathering about 30 or 40 votes a day, and changed to ME/FM action network today. I would be so grateful if they would consult with WPI and agree on an action plan. I am still unsure which one I should support on vote day- any chance we could get an agreement between the two? Maybe vote one and then the other, depending on how things shape up?

Dolphin

I am gathering about 30 or 40 votes a day, and changed to ME/FM action network today. I would be so grateful if they would consult with WPI and agree on an action plan. I am still unsure which one I should support on vote day- any chance we could get an agreement between the two? Maybe vote one and then the other, depending on how things shape up?
I doubt either would be willing to. And the WPI have been "bitten" already for suggesting people use one of their five votes in CCG for the CAA. I think it would be up to each individual person. For example, I'll be voting for the WPI early on as I know they definitely have a chance, as well as the fact that for me on the other side of the Atlantic, I think they're likely to help me more. However, if the National ME/FM Action Network prove to me they have a chance, esp. if I don't think the WPI don't have a chance of $250,000 I might vote for the National ME/FM Action Network. But as I say, different people will have different priorities, attachments, etc. One occasionally even hears the odd complaint about the WPI so some people/the odd person (outside Canada) might prefer to vote for the National ME/FM Action Network.

Well done on the votes you have got.

ETA: vote-for-vote, if somebody had no loyalty to either group if the National ME/FM Action Network were definitely in the running, a vote there might make more of a difference as the number of votes required to win is smaller. However, some groups in Round 2 are going to be "no hope" groups (or close to it) and voting for a no-hope group is a bit of a waste.

Dolphin

My analyses yesterday were off

Yesterday, I made some estimates based on there being a little over 3 days of voting left. I was going by the big countdown timer although the thought did cross my mind that this would mean that the competition would end at the stroke of midnight on June 10/11. Anyway, today, I see the countdown timer was adjusted and a day was added. Not good news for the IACFS/ME I'm afraid.

Dolphin

Canada

:Sign Good Job: Nightingale Research Foundation got 22 votes today to move it up to 17th with 70 votes, 21 votes ahead of 21st position. 22 votes a day for the next three days should probably be enough. Looking at the movements, there looks like there are 21 charities in the running i.e. if the Nightingale Research Foundation can pass out one of the ones above that are a bit sleepy/don't have many daily voters or some of the ones below it don't keep getting new voters, it is is a good position.
Nightingale Research Foundation: 70 + 21 = 91 (15th)
21st position: 49 + 16 = 65

There is a newish entrant, WHISTLER ADAPTIVE SPORTS PROGRAM SOCIETY, who are currently at 20. If they start jumping up quickly the way "Saint John Regional Hospital Foundation NB" did (it's on 73 now - was on 1, 3 days ago), they coud be a threat. Some of the ones just below Nightingale Research Foundation (18th, 19th and 20th) do look like they will pass the Nightingale Research Foundation (unfortunately don't have data on them for yesterday) so it depends on others whether they "wake up" or not.

With the votes Helen41 got for National ME/FM Action Network moving them up to 298, they look safer again (although not "WPI-safe").

Dolphin

Central

IACFS/ME International Association for Chronic Fatigue 624 + 71 = 695

21st position: 429 + 116 = 546
What happened to the IACFS/ME vote? :eek:

IACFS/ME: 695 + 25 = 720 (down from +71)

21st position: 546 + 71 = 617 (down from +116)

Given there is now one extra day, "on average", if the gap keeps decreasing by the same amount, the IACFS/ME will be passed out on the last day.

I think I will vote for them tomorrow as I think they are probably more likely to use donations than the Nightingale Research Foundation.

Dolphin

Mountain

20th position: 397 + 52 = 449

The Rocky Mountain CFS/ME & FM Association: 260 + 11 = 271
The Rocky Mountain CFS/ME & FM Association: 271 + 42 = 323

20th position: 449 + 70 = 519

So gap increased by 28 to 198.

It will be very tough for the Rocky Mountain CFS/ME & FM Association to qualify.

Dolphin

Pacific

Whittemore Peterson Institute: 4760 + 501 = 5261

Be Perfect Foundation: 4927 + 608 = 5535

21st position: 315 + 34 = 349
(over 25 hours)

Whittemore Peterson Institute: 5261 + 527 = 5786

Be Perfect Foundation: 5535 + 534 = 6069

21st position: 349 + 89 = 438

Remember, folks, some people currently voting for other groups will switch to the WPI.

i think it's great you've got those votes lined up. Please use them for the National ME/FM Action Network. WPI will get plenty of votes from the US. I think MEFMACTION might just when the Canada region if we work hard at getting the votes. They could really use the money for the conference which will help research.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
What happened to the IACFS/ME vote? :eek:

IACFS/ME: 695 + 25 = 720 (down from +71)

21st position: 546 + 71 = 617 (down from +116)

Given there is now one extra day, "on average", if the gap keeps decreasing by the same amount, the IACFS/ME will be passed out on the last day.

I think I will vote for them tomorrow as I think they are probably more likely to use donations than the Nightingale Research Foundation.

Thanks again for all these analyses, Dolphin! Very, very helpful. I've endorsed IACFS/ME again today.

Well done Helen for having all those votes at your disposal!