• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Another Contest Vivant - to WIN Reseach Money!!

Dolphin

I saved another lot of votes there. Haven't look through all of the lists but generally virtually none are getting more than 300 votes a day - there are quite a few in the 200s and a few touching 300. The odd one out (from an incomplete look) is the one in the pacific group with the WPI, "Be Perfect Foundation". I can not be certain but the big scores may simply have been not have got over 400 any day - it's just that they may have been in there from in or near the start (all the way back on April 25).

Apart from the International Rett Syndrome Foundation which has been going up by around 250 a day, the names don't ring any bells with me with regard to Chase Community Giving, which is good!

BTW, 21st position went up from 215 to 225 in pacific, so there's no sign of any big movement there.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks for that analysis, Dolphin - it's extremely helpful for us to have an idea of the numbers. If the most votes people are getting daily is 300, we should be able to win for the WPI - if PWC really get behind this.

Dolphin

Thanks for that analysis, Dolphin - it's extremely helpful for us to have an idea of the numbers. If the most votes people are getting daily is 300, we should be able to win for the WPI - if PWC really get behind this.
Sorry, I must not have been clear enough in what I wrote: "Be Perfect Foundation" is the odd one out - it's getting over 400 a day.

frenchtulip

Apart from the International Rett Syndrome Foundation which has been going up by around 250 a day, the names don't ring any bells with me with regard to Chase Community Giving, which is good!

The International Rett Syndrome Foundation is definitely one to watch in the next phase. They won $45K in the Chase contest. They also won the top prize of $250K in the Pepsi Refresh contest--Sept. 2010. It requires daily voting and is a tough competition.

Dolphin

The International Rett Syndrome Foundation is definitely one to watch in the next phase. They won $45K in the Chase contest. They also won the top prize of $250K in the Pepsi Refresh contest--Sept. 2010. It requires daily voting and is a tough competition.
I agree they could be a challenge - I remember they were in the top 20 for the last few days anyway in CCG so got many thousands of votes. Didn't know about Pepsi Refresh.

So a tough competition but at the same time I think it is winnable.

Dolphin

Good showing today from the WPI - 296 in 17hrs, 20 mins (that'd be 410 in 24 hrs on average if these hours were representative).

ETA: Add in the votes for the CAA, PANDORA, Rocky Mountain and hopefully a lot of the IACFS/ME votes (presuming they don't have a chance) and it should be around 500 a day for the WPI in round 2 if all those who voted in last day voted.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Good showing today from the WPI - 296 in 17hrs, 20 mins (that'd be 410 in 24 hrs on average if these hours were representative).

ETA: Add in the votes for the CAA, PANDORA, Rocky Mountain and hopefully a lot of the IACFS/ME votes (presuming they don't have a chance) and it should be around 500 a day for the WPI in round 2 if all those who voted in last day voted.

Excellent - quite a few people are probably hanging back until Round 2 (let's hope!).

This is a long thread now and I can't remember all that has gone on. Are there any other big ME/CFS forums that we should be contacting to tell them about the contest (to keep it simple I'm thinking we should just tell them about Round 2 towards the end of next week)? Not just in the US but anywhere? I did a bit of googling for UK ones but the ones I could find look really tiny (six people online, that sort of thing).

Dolphin

Excellent - quite a few people are probably hanging back until Round 2 (let's hope!).

This is a long thread now and I can't remember all that has gone on. Are there any other big ME/CFS forums that we should be contacting to tell them about the contest (to keep it simple I'm thinking we should just tell them about Round 2 towards the end of next week)? Not just in the US but anywhere? I did a bit of googling for UK ones but the ones I could find look really tiny (six people online, that sort of thing).
There are lots of ME/CFS/similar yahoogroups www.yahoogroups.com; then there are lots of facebook groups - I was suggesting to avoid them till Round 1 was over (or close to it) so that a lot of the "big guns" from CCG don't make it into Round 2. One could also consider writing to patient groups too.

You missed Canada in your list. (National ME/FM Action Network). I hoping they win the Canada region. I also hope we suppot the all entries so they get matching donations to the max of #2500. It's not clear yet that I can find how the matching entries will take place. someone needs to contact the charity.

Dolphin

Dolphin said:
You missed Canada in your list. (National ME/FM Action Network). I hoping they win the Canada region.
I decided for this rough list I wouldn't include them in case some/many of the voters for them decided to keep voting for the Canadian charities in Round 2. I was trying to give an estimate of the WPI voters.

I also hope we suppot the all entries so they get matching donations to the max of #2500. It's not clear yet that I can find how the matching entries will take place. someone needs to contact the charity
If you're talking about Round 1, I don't rate the chances of either the CAA or PANDORA - they are too far behind I think (unless they really pull out all the stops and get new voters) and the charities above them are getting quite a lot of votes per day.

The Rocky Mountain CFS/ME & FM Association have fallen 103 behind 20th position. They have not been getting many votes a day. If I saw a bit of a surge for them, I might start voting for them. Ideally, I'd like to know they would get a reasonable amount of matching donors.

That leaves:

Look very very safe:
Whittemore Peterson Institute

Looking fairly safe:
IACFS/ME International Association for Chronic Fatigue
National ME/FM Action Network

Still somewhat vulnerable if some other charities in Canada got even a little interested:
Nightingale Research Foundation

I decided for this rough list I wouldn't include them in case some/many of the voters for them decided to keep voting for the Canadian charities in Round 2. I was trying to give an estimate of the WPI voters.

If you're talking about Round 1, I don't rate the chances of either the CAA or PANDORA - they are too far behind I think (unless they really pull out all the stops and get new voters) and the charities above them are getting quite a lot of votes per day.

The Rocky Mountain CFS/ME & FM Association have fallen 103 behind 20th position. They have not been getting many votes a day. If I saw a bit of a surge for them, I might start voting for them. Ideally, I'd like to know they would get a reasonable amount of matching donors.

I'd appreciate it if you kept Canada's National ME/FM Action Network in you list for round 2. I'm hoping some WPI voters vote for them when WPI is looking to have won their region. It's very important for research that they win the Canada region. They are the hosts of the International conf Sept 22-25 in Ottawa in the fall.

For the matching votes, I was referring to round 2 where the money is actually allocated. IACFSME should be safe to move to round 2 and again it's important they when some funds for the Ottawa conference Sept 22-25.

I hope many of the posters here will be able to make the trip to Ottawa so we get a chance to meet each other and learn about the latest research from the experts.

Dolphin

I'd appreciate it if you kept Canada's National ME/FM Action Network in you list for round 2. I'm hoping some WPI voters vote for them when WPI is looking to have won their region. It's very important for research that they win the Canada region. They are the hosts of the International conf Sept 22-25 in Ottawa in the fall.
First, what I was estimating was the amount of votes for the WPI. So it wasn't a snub as such.

It would be good if the National ME/FM Action Network could get some "new new" voters. As I mentioned before, the leading group in Canada (Foundation for Prader-Willi Research Canada) may only be getting 40 votes or so a day (to be exact, they got 46 in last 23 hours) - they've just been there from the start. With a population of 33.7m, it [the National ME/FM Action Network] wouldn't need to get much more than 1 per 1,000,000 Canadians to vote for it and it could be in the lead.

My position is that I plan to vote for the WPI for a good while and perhaps later, I may give some votes to the National ME/FM Action Network if I think it's in with a chance. But I don't want to waste votes on a no-hope group. I guess I might not be the only person who will adopt this strategy. The National ME/FM Action Network has not impressed me with the quantity of daily votes it has been getting. So I think the strategy should be to bring in a few dozen new voters for the National ME/FM Action Network. The numbers looked for are not huge.

*GG*

For the matching votes, I was referring to round 2 where the money is actually allocated. IACFSME should be safe to move to round 2 and again it's important they when some funds for the Ottawa conference Sept 22-25.

I hope many of the posters here will be able to make the trip to Ottawa so we get a chance to meet each other and learn about the latest research from the experts.

Why don't you put in in your signature then? I would vote for them if I think they had a chance, and was given and easy link!

I voted for Rocky Mtn today, I saw they were at number 25 and IACFS seemed safe, and Nightangale. FYI

GG

Dolphin

Be Perfect Foundation got 550 votes in the last day and have overtaken the WPI. They will be a serious challenge to the WPI in Round 2.

Dolphin

Nightingale Research Foundation could be in a battle

The Nightingale Research Foundation went up 8 in the last day (incl. 3 from my family).
That puts them on 17th position with 39 votes.

21st is 22.
However, Terrace 747 Air Cadet got 18 votes to put it at 20. 2 more days getting 10 more votes than the Nightingale Research Foundation (18 vs 8) and it would pass it out. And I'd reckon, if it went to a total of 2 votes to 18 in one day, it's just put a message out and it might get more than 18 tomorrow.

Muscular Dystrophy Canada is in 21st with 22 votes. It got 14 votes yesterday starting from a base of just 8 votes. Again, it could get more than 14 votes tomorrow and if The Nightingale Research Foundation continued to get just 8 a day, it would be passed out eventually.

If those two passed the Nightingale Research Foundation, it would be down in 19th position. It wouldn't take much of a surge from some others for it to be passed out.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I'm struggling to find out what 'signature' is, or 'copy my signature' means!

Can someone please explain?

Hi Francelle - a signature is the stuff that automatically appears at the bottom of any message posted by someone who has set up a signature for themselves. So my signature is the colourful "Big $$$ for ME/CFS research in the Vivint contest" stuff that appears at the bottom of every message I post.

It's very easy to do:

1. Make sure you are logged in.
2. Then copy the text of my signature (just click and drag the cursor over the whole thing like you would if copying text in a Word document and do the usual right-click copy thing).
3. Then click on the "Settings" tab just to the left of the "Log out" tab at the top of the page.
4. Then scroll down to find "Edit signature" in the list on the left. Click on it.
5. Paste the copied text into the signature box - adapt it in any way you want, bearing in mind there's a limit of 500 characters and 3 emoticons.
6. When you're happy with it, click on "Save".

Done! And every time you change your signature, it immediately updates across every message you've ever posted so it's a good way of advertising your view.

Thanks for asking about this - if you're unsure what all this means other people are bound to be so it's very helpful! The more of us with these signatures, the more it will encourage others to join in.