• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Another Contest Vivant - to WIN Reseach Money!!

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
I have just learned of another Facebook contest, Vivint, where we can earn as much as $250,000 in CFS Research Money!!!

This is somewhat similar to Chase Giving, except we have to vote every single day! and it's already started.

http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/318

CFIDS Association of America has already been nominated, so every day from April 26 - June 11, we have to go in and "Endorse" them

The county is divided into 6 regions and you can endorse or vote (depending on the phase) for one charity per region per day so we need to get WPI nominated as well.

I wlll send Andrea a message about it. We are way behind in endorsements because the contest started in April, so we really need to spread the word to get this rolling!

Here are rules from the website

Endorse & vote

There are two rounds of voting:

April 25 - June 11
Phase I: Endorsing
Once your charity has been nominated, it is eligible to be endorsed. The top 20 most endorsed charities from each region will move on to Phase II. Phase I end June 11, 2011.

June 14 - August 27
Phase II: Voting
During Phase II, you can no longer nominate charities. However, you can vote for one charity per region per day. The charity that has earned the most overall votes will then be awarded $250,000. The remaining charities that earn the most from each of the regions will each receive a $100,000 donation.

The county is divided into 6 regions and you can endorse or vote (depending on the

insearchof

SpecialK82

Does Andrea and WPI know about the Pepsi Refresh Project? Where grants of up to $250,000 are awarded?

The contest is open to profit ($ up to $5 million) and non profits and has been open since April. One of the top winners last year, ($250,000) was a grant given to fund a gene therapy for a genetic disorder.

See here: http://www.refresheverything.com/curesanfilippo

Voting takes place each month and I am not entirely sure how it operates - and if WPI would be too late - but the community challenge (which is the area I think they would fall into - has just begun.

It might be worth a closer look?http://www.refresheverything.com/

The idea may have already been mentioned - but I thought I would post in case it hasnt been.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
How come CFIDS association did not promote this?
Maybe I missed it?

I've just contacted someone at CAA and got these answers. CFIDS Association just got nominated so it is brand new. They are doing a "soft" push on this until after Chase is over so that it doesn't confuse people.

But if we can get a core group of people on here to start going in every day now and "endorsing" it would really help to get it off the ground - it was only at 17 when I went in two hours ago and the top in the region at is already at 2750 probably because they were nominated and started earlier.

And you can go "endorse" it every day - only the top 20 charitiles endorsed will go on to the voting Round. We give up number of days that we can vote by waiting.

I think we don't want to confuse our friends too much with pushing this out to them today but when we get a feeling that most have voted in Chase, then we can start asking for Vivant votes - it will also take a little more perserverance as people need to endorse (phase 1) or vote (phase 2) every day!!

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Can non-US people vote?

Yep, anyone can endorse and vote, just need a Facebook account. However, only US and Canadian Charities are eligible.

Also, $250,000 goes to the top winner of all the regions, and then the other winners of each region gets $100,000, so we could win $350,000 for both CAA and WPI combined. I have to go back a re-read some of the rules, but they will also match our contributions to any finalist charities up to $2,500 per charity.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
insearchof - I don't know how the Pepsi Refresh contest works, but I'll have to go read your link. I'm going to go take a nap right now because I am totally fried getting Chase emails out today.

I love all these contests, let's make some easy money!!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Great, I've just endorsed and see that the CAA is currently ranked 33rd - they have to be in the top 20 to go through to the next round but since we've only started today I hope we'll catch up!

helen41

great find. I voted one tonight, hopefully 2 tomorrow, and maybe we can nominate 4 more, one for each region. If I am going to vote one a day, I'd be just as happy to vote 6. Could we use the list that was compiled while planning for Chase to put in some more nominations?

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
great find. I voted one tonight, hopefully 2 tomorrow, and maybe we can nominate 4 more, one for each region. If I am going to vote one a day, I'd be just as happy to vote 6. Could we use the list that was compiled while planning for Chase to put in some more nominations?

Great idea Helen! As I recall, the charities eligible are any with $50 million in expenses or less, so it is wide open. I assume PR is pacific region which will already have WPI in it. We need to get them all nominated ASAP so that we can get them max endorsements each day.

edit - I just started a new thread asking for Canadians to recommend a charity for their region

helen41

I only see CFIDS up so far. I took it upon myself to nominate a canadian one (National ME/FM Action network). the nomination process was not difficult, and you don't need to involve the agency. Maybe if people would just do it for their area and post we could get a start, then people could just not vote if they don't like it. so far there is Mountain (CFIDS), Pacific (WPI) and Canada. still need mountain and central nominations

helen41

just went thru the rules more carefully. Each person can only vote for one charity per day, not one in each region, as we thought. But, on the positive side, WPI is located in the Pacific, and the leader there only has 1148 votes, as compared to some of the regions with a few thousand. The other low voted leader is Canada, with 913.
Personally, I think my daily vote is going to WPI

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Eeecks!

Wow - thanks for finding that out Helen. I think the worst thing we can do is split the votes between more than one CFS charity and then have no one win the money. So it would be good to decide on just one and everybody go for it.

I'm bummed - here I was hoping to win at least $100,000 from each region :(

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Just voted for WPI - think they need/deserve it more than any other.