The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Another celebrity: Hugh Hefner's wife reveals Lyme disease diagnosis

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by Antares in NYC, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Antares in NYC

Antares in NYC Senior Member

USA
    Another celebrity diagnosed with Lyme way too late, after being told it was "all just in her head." Very typical.

Helen, Valentijn, merylg and 2 others like this.
  2. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

USA
    It's just amazing to me that he has another wife. She is in her 20's and he is like 80? She may have gotten the tick bite from it being on him!! o_O Or, perhaps it was sexually transmitted. He has had so many partners.

I don't mean to make light of her diagnosis and feel bad, but anything with the sentence Hugh Hefner's wife....eek. He has admitted to sleeping with over a 1,000 women, which is just gross. Where he has been, she has been.

I am glad for the exposure this gives Lyme...

TiredSam and worldbackwards like this.
  3. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Heff's been married that many times that one of his wives was bound to have Lyme in the end.​

Misfit Toy likes this.
  4. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

USA

Ha ha ha! :rofl:
    That's so funny. You really gotta give it to him. The guy has had quite the life. I used to steal my fathers Playboy magazines and one day he caught me. I'm a woman, too. I enjoyed the articles. My dad grabbed a few and said, "Here!" He gave them to me and laughed.

Well, the more publicity for Lyme the better...

5. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Not sure if this is already in another thread but there was a contestant on "The Voice" tonight (in the U.S.) who said that he has Lyme Disease (I don't know his name) and that his doctor said he was one of the most serious cases ever seen and then he went on to travel across country, jump around on stage and sang a song with the most energy, breath support, and picture of health than anything I had ever seen. No wheelchair, no caregivers, AND he had a full time job on top of his singing career! I am not doubting he has the disease but if this is one of the most serious cases in existence (per his doctor's report) it was quite bizarre IMO! Like when they post a perfectly made-up woman yawning at her work desk to represent severe ME/CFS.

Thinktank and Misfit Toy like this.
  6. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    :lol:

Misfit Toy likes this.
  7. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    In the woods? Near livestock? :)

8. msf

msf Senior Member

That´s amazing! Hugh Hefner has a wife?

Seriously though, all those years of looking the other way might be about to pay off.

9. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

USA
    OMG....dark and perverse. :devil::)

LOL.....

worldbackwards likes this.
  10. Dufresne

Dufresne almost there...

Montreal
    Thanks for reminding me of something I hadn't thought of in at least a decade. When I was about 10 a secret society of young males had sprouted up in the backwoods of my elementary schoolyard, aptly called the "Playboy" club. Membership required a one-time donation of at least two magazines to the club library.

So I decided to lift two from my father's collection, figuring he wouldn't notice a couple missing from the stack. Sure enough I got nailed; but to my surprise, both at the time as well as now, my mom and dad were sympathetic to my cause and spent about an hour after supper selecting two of the tamer editions to send me off with. I was a member the next day.

Heff 'influenced' so many from my generation.

Misfit Toy likes this.
  11. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

USA
    @Dufresne -you had good parents! Seriously. My dad was great. Great story, D.

Dufresne likes this.
  12. MAF14

MAF14 Senior Member

Had no idea Lyme could be sexually transmitted... Just never even thought of it like that.

Wow

13. jlynx

jlynx Senior Member

It can't be. http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/faq/

14. duncan

duncan Senior Member

No one - NO ONE - knows that Lyme cannot be sexually transmitted.

15. jlynx

jlynx Senior Member

Sorry, I wasn't aware.

16. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia
  17. Vitalic

Vitalic Senior Member

They don't say they know, they say there is up until now no credible evidence. It seems obvious to me which of the two statements (the CDC's and Hefner's wife's casual assertion that it can be sexually transmitted) is the more intellectually honest, and that is a problem I see all the time. Perhaps we really do need to resort to scaremongering and overstating the facts in order to gain publicity, but I have a feeling it does more harm than good.

18. duncan

duncan Senior Member

@Vitalic: Agreed.

One needs only to look at the vector of Lyme and actual transmission process to know that sexual transmission, if possible, is more likely an exceptional occurrence.

But CAN it happen? I would not rule it out since Bb has been found in both semen and vaginal secretions.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016

See more popular forum discussions.