• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Announcing SMCI’s new ME/CFS research program at Brigham’s and Women Hospital

AndyPR

From the most recent Solve ME/CFS newsletter - available here.

Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI) and our partners are initiating a new ME/CFS Research Fund at Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) in Boston, MA. The establishment of this fund supports the continuation of Dr. David Systrom’s ME/CFS research.

This work will further our understanding of the autonomic, peripheral neuropathy, and cardiovascular features of ME/CFS. In other words, this research focuses on the involuntary nervous system, nerve pain in the hands and feet, and the heart and blood vessels.

Specifically, the work aims to characterize the connection between small fiber polyneuropathy (nerve damage) and exertional intolerance during the course of cardiopulmonary (relating to the heart and the lungs) testing. Future study directions will include a continued focus on exertion intolerance with particular attention to the development of therapeutic interventions.

Under Dr. Nahle, Chief Scientific Officer at SMCI’s leadership, SMCI is committed to creating and advancing stand-alone ME/CFS programs, like this one, at major research universities and medical centers. We are extremely pleased to facilitate this work at the prestigious BWH. Notably, this was made possible by a donation from a visionary patient through the recently established ‘patient scientist’ program, designed to facilitate patient participation in research through partnerships between patients, SMCI and selected medical programs.
Read more at http://solvecfs.org/announcing-smcis-new-mecfs-research-program-at-brighams-and-women-hospital/