Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anion gap

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by mgala77, Dec 6, 2014.

?

Anion gap 2.5

1. Blood tests results

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Post cancer blood work

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mgala77

mgala77

my recent blood test revealed my anion gap at a low of 2.5. Should I be concerned,, I did have lung cancer last year. I'm new to this site, so I'm not sure I'm posting correctly to get a response. Thanks for the patience

2. Research 1st

Research 1st Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.

I'm sorry I can't help you with an answer, if you can, try and ask a medical professional especially if you have a previous experience of cancer.

When tested, I had a high anion gap which is the opposite of your result. I think it's quite a rare lab test, and most patients won't have been tested once they've got a CFS diagnosis.

All the best to you and the best of health.

3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    @Research 1st - I have just calculated my anion gap values from my medical records, but the latest value I have for chloride is from 1996! So I was interested to read that you say that most patients won't have had an anion gap test once they have a CFS diagnosis. I got my diagnosis in 1999, but have been ill since 1995. But being in the UK, I can't imagine that all the doctors I have seen since 1996 have deliberately not tested my chloride levels for a specific reason other than perhaps the standard testing panels having changed.

I have no actual results for anion gap, but estimated the values myself from sodium, potassium, chloride and bicarbonate, and also without potassium.

I wasn't surprised to find my values quite high, as I have suspected for several years that I have acidosis, not least because I often get relief from sodium bicarbonate.

Do you know why patients do not have their anion gaps measured/estimated after getting a CFS diagnosis? Is this in the US?

I am going to request a chloride test next time I am due for my annual electrolyte tests. In fact, I am going to ask the doc whether he has done any recently, as I don't have copies of my records for the past few years.

4. AaroninOregon

AaroninOregon noob

Hippietown
    @MeSci while I don't have a CSF diagnosis, my anion gap is done as part oF my comprehensive metabolic panel with my annual physical. I don't see that changing if I am diagnosed with CFS...and I am in the US.

See more popular forum discussions.