• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Angiogram

sleepy237

Has anyone moderately affected experienced an angiogram? Cardio is referring me, didn't seem concerned over sensitivity to dye. However after reading about the procedure I'm overwhelmed by all of it.
It's nothing till it develops into something.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Has anyone moderately affected experienced an angiogram? Cardio is referring me, didn't seem concerned over sensitivity to dye. However after reading about the procedure I'm overwhelmed by all of it.
It's nothing till it develops into something.

Hi Sleepy,

Doctors prescribe angiograms rather casually it seems to me. o_O I have not had one but worked in a hospital and saw many patients get them. Not only is there concern about the dye (note, there are different types, some less toxic) but the procedure itself is a big stress on the body and can be dangerous.

You didn't say why he suggested this, but I'd sure find out if there are alternate tests that would give good information. I have had a lot of cardiac testing and an angiogram is near the bottom of the list of tests I'd agree to.

Sushi

sleepy237

The cluster of symptoms I have could suggest a blockage Sushi or it could be down to connective tissue but he said they have to know. I'm not keen but the chest pains/tightness are more with exertion than they have ever been so I guess I have to know too. It's the same cardio that referred me for stress test and echo and his colleague the tilt so I guess this would be the ultimate. I've slid down emotionally just due to the thought of it but I don't know the alternative right now. Thanks for your reply.
Sleepy

sleepy237

Oh yeah I told him about the OI and he said the pooling is microcirculation and its not the same. When I was browsing I did see something called microvascular angina? I wish someone with xray eyes would appear think I'd setttle for a medical intuitive at this point.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
An angiogram is the only procedure they have right now that can accurately diagnose blockages and they do not use dye all the time. Sometimes they just use the probe that shows up on an x-ray, but this probe is also measuring pressure.

I have heard of one person having a problem from a angiogram, but they did not have ME/CFS and it wasn't a problem with the dye.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
An angiogram is the only procedure they have right now that can accurately diagnose blockages and they do not use dye all the time. Sometimes they just use the probe that shows up on an x-ray, but this probe is also measuring pressure.

I have heard of one person having a problem from a angiogram, but they did not have ME/CFS and it wasn't a problem with the dye.

Not to be scary but I know 2 friends who had heart attacks during the procedure.

@sleepy237

What about this one? I had it, you do get x-rays but it isn't invasive:

Computed tomography (CT) is a noninvasive imaging technology that provides detailed pictures of organs and tissues inside the body. Cardiac CT angiography imaging focuses on the heart and its surrounding blood vessels. Physicians use these images to help diagnose coronary artery disease, or heart artery blockages, and to estimate your future risk of having a heart attack.

http://www.uchospitals.edu/specialties/heart/services/imaging/ct-angiography.html

Sushi

sleepy237

Well there is hope thanks Sushi the cardio didn't mention catheterisation, I found that myself via google, but I have to double-check. I do have comorbid PTSD and not that CFS isn't enough but invasive procedures have always been a problem for me. I see my doctor who deals with trauma on Tuesday and she's aware of this so maybe she can intervene. Thanks for the link Sushi. Very much appreciated as always,
Sleepy

Abha

Abha
Hi Sleepy237 et al,

I had an angio procedure carried out overseas in 2003.It was carried out after two treadmill tests(in different years)suggested I required that procedure.The attendant cardiologist believed I didn't need it but, after my doctor suggested to the cardiologist that he should go ahead with it, if I wanted it ,the operation was carried out.It is a simple procedure/nothing to worry about.I was able to ask questions to those doctors present during the procedure.I could see my heart on a big screen.The chance of dying was 0.06%(the doctor explained).My heart was clear and in good condition(so the cardiologist)had been correct in his diagnosis.However, the treadmill tests were probably showing my mitochondrial problems(Dr Myhill's Tests) and underneath all of this was the parathyroid disease/organophosphate contact problems(years earlier) that I had at that time(recognised by no one(in NHS/or abroad).Re the parathyroid problems, I had the tumour removed in 2006.The doctor there told me that I probably had that illness for about 12 years(earlier recognition of parathyroid disease would have helped me!).Doctors are not good at recognising parathyroid disease as seemingly only 1 in 250,000 gets it.Hope this reassures you Sleepy237.

sleepy237

What worries me is I feel in a catch 22. My physiotherapist even suggested that it sounded cardiac - but could be muscular too. I won't have this test unless it's absolutely necessary and from what I can find out an alternative isn't available here. I do worry about complications because of connective tissue disorder and of course CFS and its box of chocolates. Right now I want to run in the other direction but I do need evaluation. If the tightness is due to muscle spasm then that needs addressed too. Nothing has been treated. But the neck, arm molar and chest pain together I think although I know could be disturbances due to ANS, ( i hope )

alex3619

What worries me is I feel in a catch 22. My physiotherapist even suggested that it sounded cardiac - but could be muscular too. I won't have this test unless it's absolutely necessary and from what I can find out an alternative isn't available here. I do worry about complications because of connective tissue disorder and of course CFS and its box of chocolates. Right now I want to run in the other direction but I do need evaluation. If the tightness is due to muscle spasm then that needs addressed too. Nothing has been treated. But the neck, arm molar and chest pain together I think although I know could be disturbances due to ANS, ( i hope )

Hi Sleepy, I hope things work out. CFS is indeed like a box of chocolates, but someone got there first and ate all the good ones. Take care. Alex.

sleepy237

Thanks Alex. I wish I thought straight. I was told to phone the cardio secretary today and she asked me if he said CT which he did which means it is a non-invasive procedure. I feel so dumb that I didn't call on Friday and save the distress. Still have the dye to think about but I'm sure it's safe in comparison. (I hope) thanks everyone for their support.
Sleepy

Chris

Hi, Sleepy; I had an angiogram in 2004, which confirmed a "severely stenotic" aortic valve, but also claimed to see 70% blockage of one cardiac artery. The procedure was a bit nerve-wracking, but OK; best to have it done by an experienced doc. This was before I got ME.
Much more recently I had a MIBI test–does subject you to a fair amount of radiation, but not threatening, and using a chemical to raise heart rate can be a more accurate indicator of ischemia than a treadmill test, which we MEers may fear will simply show up our mito defects. The MIBI showed that there was no ischemia, and also showed a very low stroke volume, which was useful to know before I met with my cardio. I think it is common to place a MIBI test between a suspicious treadmill test and an angiogram–the latter is a pretty expensive procedure.
Chris

john66

I dont know where i read this, but NAC can protect the kidneys from the dye. That and lots of water. I get a nuclear stress test every year.