The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Angiogram: Helpful for diagnosing ME symptoms? Worth the risk?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by ScottTriGuy, Sep 7, 2017.

1. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    The vascular surgeon wants to send me for an angiogram because he suspects there may be something dysfunctional in my neck because I feel dizzy and nauseous if I tilt my head back and look at the ceiling.

I went to him because when I use my arms to pick something up I can experience immediate symptoms and need to be horizontal for at least 20 minutes so my body regulates itself.

I'm very sensitive to motion-sickness - for example, on the weekend I looked through a pair of binoculars for perhaps 10 seconds and the unstable image caused a couple of hours of nausea. I can't read in a vehicle, vomit on planes, boats, etc, etc.

So I don't think there is something wrong with my neck and I'm not sold on this invasive procedure with a 1 in 1,000 chance of a stroke.

Has anyone found an angiogram helpful with ME symptoms? Harmful?

Thanks.

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member

I've been experiencing this for 26 years since my onset of M.E

Actually, I experience everything you just wrote.

ScottTriGuy likes this.
  3. notmyself

notmyself Senior Member

i had an angiogram done of the blood vessels in the head and neck, plus 2 doppler ultra sound investigations of all the possible blood vessels in the neck and brain..it ''helped ''me only to make the doctors and my family to further think is all in my head cause all of this test come back perfect..

ScottTriGuy likes this.
  4. Chris

Chris Senior Member

Victoria, BC
    I would be wary--sounds rather as if the surgeon would love to insert a stent somewhere in your circulation--a bit reminiscent of that now pretty well dismissed MS procedure. There are now imaging methods like the 64 slice CAT scan that can give good info on circulatory issues--though we don't have one here in Victoria, I think there should be some in Toronto. Why were you referred to a vascular surgeon?

ScottTriGuy likes this.
  5. Research 1st

Research 1st Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.

I've had a 64 slice EBCT cardiac scan and also had an invasive angiogram done on my heart.

Before you go down that route for dizzyness in such as complex illness as ME CFS I would consider the following also:

1) Vertigous migraines. You can get these without headaches.
    2) Repeat viral vertigo events lasting months at a time.
    3) Medication hypersensitivity, including antivirals, antibiotics, antiretrovirals.
    4) Electrolytes.
    5) Chronic allergies. You can have allergies and not become super ill, 'just' experience symptoms such as dizziness, headache, more mucus production, stomach pain etc. If possible test your total IgE.
    6) Dysautonomia can cause chronic vertigo/dizzynes.
    7) Peripheral neuropathy.
    8) 'Top Shelf Vertigo'. Not looking at naughty magazines in newsagents, but looking upward.

6. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    He did try to send me for a CT scan but I was refused because the technician didn't feel comfortable doing the CT in one of the positions the doc wanted.

I have thoracic outlet syndrome, ergo the vascular physician referral.

See more popular forum discussions.