• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Andrographis (apparently) boosting NK cell function

Mary

Moderator Resource
In April 2013, my NK cell function was 13 out of a range of 8 - 170 - I know, in the "normal" range but my doctor said no, that's low.

In September 2015, it had gone up to 15 out of a range of 7 - 125.

Last month, January 2018, it had gone up to 24 (!), range of 7 - 125.

So that's quite a bit, and I'm pretty sure it's due to andrographis which I started taking just about a year ago. I don't have "proof" that it's the andrographis, but I would bet the farm (if I had a farm) that it is responsible for this increase.

I noticed an immediate benefit when I started it. For years I've gotten sick with a sinus type infection every time I crash, and I would crash generally once a week, and it would take 10 --14 days to recover from the sinus problems so essentially I was sick almost all the time. Being sick got to be worse than the crashing. Every once in awhile I'd have a few days respite. When I was sick it was quite debilitating - it just really drained my energy though my outward symptoms were not severe.

After starting the andrographis, I started getting much less sick and also recovering much more quickly. It's been a miracle herb for me. This is what I take: https://smile.amazon.com/Planetary-...pID=411gyDI-lML&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

And, as you can see, it's very cheap! One a day helps me a lot, and if I get sicker than usual, I'll up it to 2 or 3 for a few days and add in some Echinacea and goldenseal and it works quite quickly. It's an immune modulator plus has antiviral and antibacterial properties. So when I remember every 4 or 5 weeks or so I'll stop it for several days or week.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Mary - that's great! My doctor swears by andrographis... She said it has strong anti viral properties

@ebethc - I learned about andrographis after my sister (who does not have ME/CFS) had an amazing result with it last winter. She'd had a severe sinus infection, had been on 2 courses of antibiotics, and it recurred again, just as sick as ever, so her doctor gave her a Standard Process product, the chief ingredient of which was andrographis (with a few other ingredients) and within 2 or 3 days she was almost completely well. It was unreal, she had been so sick. The SP product was very pricey so I just bought some plain andrographis and started taking it and had almost immediate results. I've tried dozens of things over the years trying to help my immune system, but this is by far the most effective.

bertiedog

noticed an immediate benefit when I started it. For years I've gotten sick with a sinus type infection every time I crash, and I would crash generally once a week, and it would take 10 --14 days to recover from the sinus problems so essentially I was sick almost all the time. Being sick got to be worse than the crashing. Every once in awhile I'd have a few days respite. When I was sick it was quite debilitating - it just really drained my energy though my outward symptoms were not severe.

This is how I have been since doing the high dose Vitamin C protocol for about 6 weeks which has crashed my adrenals and immune system. For me the virus is usually in my throat. I am on day 9 of the present one which started with severe gut pains and a feeling of sickness. i felt like death for a couple of days but it soon moved to my throat and I came out with a very painful cold sore which I still have. Haven't had one in years but goes to show just how run down my immune system with at least 3 bad throat viruses since the crash in April this year.

On every occasion Andrographis, 800 mg x 3 has helped me to feel better but I think I have made the mistake of only taking it for about 6 days and then stopping. I am sort of ok for a week or so but then it seems to start up again so this time at the end of the week I think I will go to a daily maintenance of 400 mg x 3 and stay on this for some time.

Of course it is used with Lyme disease and I have had a positive test for this and never know if this is my real illness together with adrenal insufficiency and Hashimotos although of course by now it would be chronic Lyme.

Would you mind saying what dose you took of the Andro and for how long. There is quite a lot of research out there regarding how effective Andro is and thanks for posting your experience and great to hear you are feeling better.
Recently the way I have been feeling has reminded me of how I was when I first got really unwell in 2000

Pam

Mary

Moderator Resource
Would you mind saying what dose you took of the Andro and for how long.
Hi Pam - when I'm sick, I take 2 to 3 tablets of 400 mg. andrographis (Planetary Herbals full spectrum from Amazon) a day, together with an echinacea/goldenseal combination, and it's quite effective. When I recover, I stop the echinacea/goldenseal, but often just keep taking the andrographis at 1 tablet a day as maintenance for several days or a week. Then I'll take a break from it for several days if I'm feeling good, but at the first sign of congestion (like I have right now!) I go back on the andrographis at 2 to 3 a day, adding in echinacea/goldenseal as needed.

It's an immune modulator and I've read it's good to take a break from them when possible, which I do, but I don't hesitate to take it when I need it. So I don't have a really set schedule, but it seems to work.

My chiropractor who does muscle testing started me on an adrenal glandular by Standard Process which has been invaluable for my adrenals. I now do muscle testing on myself to determine my dose, it works well. Right now I'm on a very low dose, but years ago when I first took it I needed a lot as my adrenals were so weak then.

Starlight

Thanks for posting Mary. Do you have to drink lots of water and stay off coffee while you are on this these herbs. Did you have herxes with them. They sound promising and I am thinking of starting them in the hope that they might get me out of the hole I'm in for quite a while now.

bertiedog

I have recently order a Thymus glandular and will add that in when I drop the Andro down. I have taken Andro for many months at high doses as per Stephen Buhner protocol for Lyme and tolerated it much better than Samento and Japanese Knotweed.

The problem I have with so many herbs are that they are vasodilators which is the last thing I need being a severe migraine sufferer. I also cannot take any herbs with berberine because they block the effect of my steroid (many herbs do this which rules them out).

Thanks for all the info and hope you can stay as well as possible.

Pam

Mary

Moderator Resource
Thanks for posting Mary. Do you have to drink lots of water and stay off coffee while you are on this these herbs. Did you have herxes with them. They sound promising and I am thinking of starting them in the hope that they might get me out of the hole I'm in for quite a while now.
I usually just drink a lot of water anyways, so I don't drink any extra while taking these, and I don't stay off of coffee either - actually my cup of coffee in the morning is the high point of my day! ;) Seriously, it is I think! - I use a French press and add d-ribose and half and half and it is so good.

In general I don't herx now with these, and I don't recall a herx with andrographis though I may have when I first started it a few years ago. Several years ago I used colloidal silver for a recalcitrant strep infection and herxed quite badly - it wiped me out - but it got rid of the infection.

I would just suggest start low and go slow and see how you do. And you're not supposed to take echinacea for an extended period of time. I just take it as needed and stop as soon as it's not needed any more. But I will take andrographis on a fairly regular basis, but with rest breaks. It's not scientific unfortunately!

Starlight

Thanks for that, Mary. I will give it a go. Like you my morning coffee is a must, it helps me feel alive and I'd miss it. I have read or heard Stephen Buhner singing the praises of andrographis but it is better to hear of someone who is taking it and improving. I will start low and see how I go. Thanks for the info and I hope your improvement continues.

bertiedog

How much vitamin c were you taking?
Around 15 grams a day sometimes a bit more and some days a bit less and I continued with this as instructed by the CFS doctor because the SIBO I was suffering with and Candida were no better.

In fact both of these got a whole lot worse and I also started getting these bad viruses. The whole thing was a disaster.

Pam