1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Lessons from ME/CFS: Finding Meaning in the Suffering
If you're aware of my previous articles here at Phoenix Rising then it's pretty clear that I don't generally spend my time musing upon the philosophy of the disease. I find it better to spend my time reading research and trying my best to break it down to its core elements and write...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Andrew Cutler and Alpha Lipoic Acid

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Cort, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    No, I don't believe that raising glutathione through methylation therapy is dangerous--rather the opposite--it should help to remove heavy metals from the body. Taking glutathione IV or in significant doses other ways has brought on too much detox reaction in some though. I could never take glutathione directly.

Some with a significant burden of heavy metals had too many reactions to methylation therapy (due to the detoxing effect) and had to stop and deal with heavy metals first.

Working with methylation raises glutathione very, very slowly and hopefully your body will be able to handle the detox reaction though many of us had to use binders and other aids like FIR.

Best wishes,
    Sushi
    Lotus97 likes this.
  2. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I was wondering if anyone knows much about Dr. Buttar's protocol for mercury detoxification. Based on a quick Google search here seems to be a controversy surrounding him that makes me wary, but I don't know all the details so I don't want to post anything here which would potentially slander him. Before I delve any deeper into his protocol I would like to get others' opinions if they know anything about his methods.
  3. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I have another question about Alpha Lipoic Acid and Glutathione. If I still have my amalgams, would Alpha Lipoic Acid or other chelators mixed in water mobilize mercury when they came in contact with my amalgams while drinking the mixture or would it be ok if the mixture is diluted? Should I just stick with capsules and tablets? Also, would glutathione in a sublingual cause mercury problems since it's mixed in with my saliva and would be in constant contact with my amalgams? Is an oral dose (capsules/tablets) better?
  4. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    This has been discussed a lot (whether any form of chelation is safe while you have amalgams) and I don't think anyone really knows. Lots of opinions have been expressed. You could search it on google using Phoenix Rising in the subject line.

Best,
    Sushi
    Lotus97 likes this.
  5. Johnmac

Johnmac

Cambodia
    From my understanding, Lyn Patrick's concerns are real, and the redistribution of mercury to sensitive parts of the body can occur with alpha lipoic acid. Thus it is part of the Cutler Protocol to not use ALA in the three months after amalgam removal, but to remove mercury from the extracellular spaces and bloodstream with DMPS or DMSA in that period. Then once the "concentration gradient" (I think it's called) is stacked so that there is less mercury in the body than in the brain, you can add the one chelator that can enter the brain (ALA); and which incidentally can also leave the brain, mercury ion on tow.

Seems to have worked for me, as I have my cognition back after two years on Cutler.

Interestingly, the biggest roadblock in the two years was the sensitivity to thiol/sulphur foods which chelation (i.e. liberated mercury) unleashed. This made me sick as a parrot for half a year. The thing that fixed it (overnight) was the 'simplified protocol' of the blessed Rich von K, which I discovered here.

John

6. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle

See more popular forum discussions.