Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Ancient Remedy For Super Bug

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Changexpert, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Changexpert

Changexpert Senior Member

Interesting read...
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbe...-kills-deadly-superbug/ar-AAafOS7?ocid=HPCDHP
    http://www.newscientist.com/article...ills-hospital-superbug-mrsa.html#.VRqhz690ypp

The age-old remedy called for "cropleek and garlic, of both equal quantities, pound them well together … take wine and bullocks gall, mix with the leek … let it stand nine days in the brass vessel," according to the New Scientist.

Unexpectedly, the ingredients had little effect unless they were all brought together. "The big challenge is trying to find out why that combination works," says
    Steve Diggle, another of the researchers. Do the components work in synergy or do they trigger the formation of new potent compounds?

Using exactly the right method also seems to be crucial, says Harrison, as another group tried to recreate the remedy in 2005 and found that their potion failed to kill bacteria grown in a dish. "With the nine-day waiting period, the preparation turned into a kind of loathsome, odorous slime," says
    Michael Drout of Wheaton College in Norton, Massachusetts.

I wonder how safe it is to drink odorous slime :confused: What's interesting is that the ingredients fail to kill the bacteria when used individually or combined in wrong proportion/method. I hope scientists can find the secret to this potion very soon.

zzz, Never Give Up and Kenshin like this.
  2. MCRobbie

MCRobbie Senior Member

Stories like these are fascinating because it suggests that earlier peoples had substantial knowledge, greater than our own in some cases. If it is as effective as researchers claim and it only is effective under the most stringent and involved alchemist methods, it means the creators of this concoction had to have created this formula with great care, and trial and error over possibly eons, testing and observing the effectiveness of their formulas until their effectiveness was obvious. That takes great intelligence, patience, and powers of observation. Great story.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  3. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    I can easily see implications for pwCFS.

Medieval Garlic and Bile Potion Kills MRSA Superbug

"We thought that Bald's eyesalve might show a small amount of antibiotic activity, because each of the ingredients has been shown by other researchers to have some effect on bacteria in the lab," said microbiologist Freya Harrison.

"Copper and bile salts can kill bacteria, and the garlic family of plants make chemicals that interfere with the bacteria's ability to damage infected tissues." -- When they performed their tests, they "were absolutely blown away by just how effective the combination of ingredients was. ... It obliterated the MRSA, killing 999 out of 1,000 bacterial cells."

ahmo, Never Give Up, zzz and 2 others like this.
  4. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
  5. Legendrew

Legendrew

UK
    Near all modern treatments stem from age old knowledge and herbal remedies; people from years gone by knew what worked, they just didn't know why and how. All we do that they didn't is study these treatments more and concentrate the key chemicals to increase their inherent properties.

ahmo likes this.
  6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I would like to see the original study. It looks like this was only tested on cells from rats. Then the various media sources make the leap that it's a cure for MRSA.

If I am reading correctly, it's an intriguing premise which may or may not pan out in future studies.

The bane :lol: of science media and press releases is that the reporting sometimes hypes only part of the content of a study for ratings and doesn't give a complete picture of what's really going on. This is why we often see contradictory information in the news. For example, we read that a diet is beneficial then in the future the opposite is reported.

I started a thread on this.
    http://fns.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/out-of-sight-out-of-mind-out-of-the-peer-reviewed-literature.35749/

Still intriguing. I love garlic.

Barb

7. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/news/pr...medieval-remedy-for-modern-day-superbugs.aspx

ahmo likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.