• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ancient Nuclear Receptor VDR With New Functions: Microbiome and Inflammation

nanonug

COMMENT: If you have some kind of inflammatory bowel disease, vitamin D may be good for you. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the complete study.

Abstract
The biological functions of 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 are regulated by nuclear receptor vitamin D receptor (VDR). The expression level of VDR is high in intestine. VDR is an essential regulator of intestinal cell proliferation, barrier function, and immunity. Vitamin D/VDR plays a protective role in inflammatory bowel diseases (IBDs), both ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease. Emerging evidence demonstrates low VDR expression and dysfunction of vitamin D/VDR signaling in patients with IBD. Here, we summarize the progress made in vitamin D/VDR signaling in genetic regulation, immunity, and the microbiome in IBD. We cover the mechanisms of intestinal VDR in regulating inflammation through inhibiting the NF-ĸB pathway and activating autophagy. Recent studies suggest that the association of VDR single nucleotide polymorphisms with immune and intestinal pathology may be sex dependent. We emphasize the tissue specificity of VDR and its sex- and time-dependent effects. Furthermore, we discuss potential clinical application and future direction of vitamin D/VDR in preventing and treating IBD.

kangaSue

A simple solution may be to supplement with butyrate, something shown to increase intestinal VDR expression and suppress inflammation in a colitis model.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25080448

All I've got to do now is figure out why one Miyarisan tablet (clostridium butyrate) causes me to feel heavily intoxicated with episodes of syncope for a couple of hours after taking it. That didn't happen when my Vit D level was up around 80.