• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Analysis Of Himalayan Pink Salt - Salt-Loading, Sole, General Interest.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Hey, I noticed last night that my urine looked the same as you described yours to me yesterday! I guess I'm going to have to use you and your iodine experiences as a sort of guide of what's to come for me - you're obviously slightly further on than I am :)

Mine looked definitely orange, and I also drink 2-3l/d water. Very strange. I haven't seen that reported in any of the case studies, case reports, etc. Have you?

I've answered on the iodine thread so we don't derail this one.

Basilico

Florida
Wow, thanks @Jigsaw - this must have taken a lot of time to compile, especially with all the formatting issues. I tried looking for this information years ago (when I switched over to pink Himalayan salt from the gray Celtic salt) but could never find anything.

I've noticed that Himalayan pink salt is significantly "less salty" that standard table salt, so I often end up using more of it. I figured that was due to the fact it had other elements besides just sodium and chloride. I really appreciate that you took the time to post this, thanks again!

Hip

It's probably an iOS 10.3.1 glitch. Another one (sigh) Keyboard freezes, too. Really useful when writing.

I find that the Mac OS is also becoming slightly more glitchy in recent years, in the time since Steve Job's death. It seems like if you don't have a driven perfectionist like Jobs presiding over affairs, then the quality control and attention to detail goes down. It's more the minor glitches that are appearing in Mac OS: small issues with the user interface. But nevertheless, they detract from the aura of perfection that Apple products have traditionally strived for.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I've noticed that some people are concerned about the chloride content of salts
I would be more concerned about the sodium. Sodium needs to be in the correct proportion with potassium. Maybe magnesium and calcium, too. If you get your electrolyte balance off, it can be dangerous.
I don't understand what's going on with formatting this table, but before it gets posted, the headings for tsp amounts are lined up with the quantities, yet after posting, the headings have all bunched up together. Putting dotted lines in seems to be the only way I can find to get round it.
While the code box is probably the best solution, I have used a monospace font and changed to text color to white (on a white background) for the dots.

Jigsaw

I find that the Mac OS is also becoming slightly more glitchy in recent years, in the time since Steve Job's death. It seems like if you don't have a driven perfectionist like Jobs presiding over affairs, then the quality control and attention to detail goes down. It's more the minor glitches that are appearing in Mac OS: small issues with the user interface. But nevertheless, they detract from the aura of perfection that Apple products have traditionally strived for.
I couldn't agree more.

My perfect iPad has been noticeably more glitchy, too, and the updates are increasing, which surely indicates that they aren't getting it right at first pass. It used to be one major uodate a year, with maybe two further patches. Now it's umpteen extra patches.

Current incarnation includes a screen rotation glitch, where the screen won't auto-rotate, keyboard freeze, all sorts of crashes, keyboard sensitivity problems, links not loading....I keep being told to wipe my brand new (my Dec upgrade to an iPad with room for storge was so bad that the engineers didn't even try to repair it, just issued a replacement immediately, and the serial number indicates it wa manufactured in March 2017) iPad and restart it as a New Device, again.

Tedious.

Never would have happened in Job's day.

Jigsaw

Wow, thanks @Jigsaw - this must have taken a lot of time to compile, especially with all the formatting issues. I tried looking for this information years ago (when I switched over to pink Himalayan salt from the gray Celtic salt) but could never find anything.

I've noticed that Himalayan pink salt is significantly "less salty" that standard table salt, so I often end up using more of it. I figured that was due to the fact it had other elements besides just sodium and chloride. I really appreciate that you took the time to post this, thanks again!
Thanks, @Basilico :)

Yes, it did. I think you're the first person to thank me, so thank you for that. I thought it would be useful to see what's actually in there, rather than the vague "84 /87 / 89 minerals!!!" they all bang on about.

I stumbled across it by chance, and if it had been in any proper order, I would have just copied the link over. But it seemed very random, wasn't in any order I could discern, so me being me, I just had to put the minerals in order of quantity.

I hope it's useful.

Thanks again for being appreciative!

Jigsaw

I would be more concerned about the sodium. Sodium needs to be in the correct proportion with potassium. Maybe magnesium and calcium, too. If you get your electrolyte balance off, it can be dangerous.

While the code box is probably the best solution, I have used a monospace font and changed to text color to white (on a white background) for the dots.
Sodium is much maligned. Yes, Na/K ratio is important. The low or no sodium diet inisted on by many health profesionals has led to an increase in cardiac events because no or low sodium against a normal potassium intake equals hyperkalaemia, which is the biggest cause of cardiac events. I have a paramedic friend who confirmed this to me.

I guess it would happen even more if you replaced your sodium with NoSalt, which, I believe, is all potassium.

Last edited:

Jigsaw

BTW to stay on topic, I had major endocrine disruption from Hymalayan salt (just used for cooking, not loading). My thyroid seemed to have gone crazy on it, I would had palpitations, anxiety, smelling sweating. I thought it could be from the Bromine in it.
- I think it most probably was. Those are all given as signs of bromine detoxing by iodine users :)

I've escaped palps, had really weird-smelling sweat for about a week (poor partner, confronted with my armpit while we were watching TV, "Does this smell like me? Does it?" "No, it STINKS!"), still getting the odd anx spike.

Also runny nose, stinky wee (one or two days of dark wee, definitely not dehydration), more Cherry Angiomas, heavy legs, occasionally urgent bathroom visits, some headaches and nausea, zits, all standard detox stuff.

Worth knowing that iodine also pulls out other nasties like mercury, lead, arsenic, and who's to say which of any of the detox signs are specifically to do with bromide? - Aside from an increase in Cherry Angiomas (followed by them shrinking, drying up and falling off), which are a listed sign of bromide being expelled through the skin, and possibly the dark/ brown urine, which has been reasonably positively ascribed to bromide leaving via the urinary tract by Dr Flechas tracing his son's brown sludge at the bottom of his 24 hour urine collection jar to his consumption of Mountain Dew drinks at school, the majority of side effects seem like fairly standard detox signs to me and I think they could be due to any number of different toxins coming out, helped along by the salt, My pee stank during chemo, which included a fluoride (flourouracil).

I don't think it's only other halides that get flushed out with Lugol's and salt.

Which is, of course, a good thing!