Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

An Update on ME/CFS Research with Ronald W. Davis, PhD

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Ben H, Feb 21, 2017.

1. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

Hi
    When is the chip due to be finished? Thanks

lauluce likes this.
  2. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

Vermont, school in Western MA
    ATP is not orally bioavailable. Injections of it produce some severe cardiac symptoms. I don't think messing with the "energy currency" of the body as a drug in-and-of-itself is a good idea... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12381087
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9840701

This brings me to wonder if there are dangers to any of the other supplements that affect aspects of cellular respiration. one benefit is that taking an intermediate as part of a rate-limited reaction *seems* like it would be safer

3. boolybooly

boolybooly

UK
    Based on my own experience I take the view that my CFIDS metabolic reaction is part of a complex immune response and it exists for a reason. In my case I have evident recurring viruses in a cycle of 20-60 days.

If I mess with my metabolism while unable to address the cause of changes in metabolism (I have tried some antivirals but none have been successful) I am fighting and undermining my own immune response, which has repercussions. In my case if I try to boost my metabolism it shortens my viral recurrence cycle.

My guess is that the metabolism changes from mitochondrial to plasma reactions to decentralise energy production so that logistics of localised viral replication are obstructed, in much the same way that we raise our temperature to fight viruses, because we can take it but it slows them down and gives us the edge.

If you try to correct the metabolic change without countering the viruses it is a response to then the viruses proliferate. It is just papering over the cracks and long term is not sustainable and IMHO it will just make things worse.

I need for someone to find out why my immune system is failing and why these viruses are proliferating.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  4. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

Vermont, school in Western MA
    this is one of my initial concerns with messing with the kreb's cycle/cellular respiration.

at the same time I think I feel desperate enough to try. I don't know that I have active viruses. I wish we could have another AMA with ron to see what he thinks about the likelihood of active viral infections being the cause. From a patient standpoint it really makes a big deal whether the issue is primarily metabolic or that is a secondary effect of an active virus--you're right about that.

Isaiah 58:11 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.