The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

An Update on ME/CFS Research with Ronald W. Davis, PhD

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Ben Howell, Feb 21, 2017.

1. TreePerson

TreePerson

U.K.
    I had low blood pressure at the start 24 years ago. Now it is at the high end of normal. I also have low sodium which I think may have come on over the course of the disease. It was first flagged up to me about 5 years ago.

merylg and MeSci like this.
  2. Alvin2

Alvin2 Senior Member

Interesting, though these results suggest a subset have changes, not universal in ME/CFS
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26399744
    My point is unchanged, this does not prove ME/CFS is caused by excess ACh, nor do people on ACh raising drugs appear to have increased incidence of ME/CFS, nor does increasing ACh worsen ME/CFS.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017 at 3:24 PM
  3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    I'm typing up my health diaries, and have reached July 1999, when I still had blood pressure 110/70. I had had ME for about 4-5 years. I think I was starting to get low sodium, but may have had tendencies to this before.

I take Nebivolol for high b.p. now, having had bad experiences with ACE inhibitors (seriously low sodium). Have to keep an eye on my sodium all the time now.

Countrygirl and TreePerson like this.
  4. TreePerson

TreePerson

U.K.
    I was the same 110/60 from 1994 for quite a few years. I can remember getting a higher reading for the first time in 2000. I had wondered if it could be connected to the three year switch over thing from having high cytokines to low. My sodium not very low but it is out of normal range and they made me get it retested but seems to be stable where it is. Are sodium and bp connected? I have wondered if my vasopressin is low because I now need to get up to the toilet about 5 times a night. That's got worse it used to be more like two.
    The disease definitely changes over time.

Webdog likes this.
  5. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Maybe best to search for "sodium" and "pressure".

I found this from @Countrygirl - but don't know if it's relevant;

"My ME consultant before he retired warned me not to let the GP treat the high BP as ordinary hypertension as, he said, she would make the situation worse. She did, she is, and it has." That's from this thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/long-term-me-and-cardiac-problems.49653

TreePerson and Countrygirl like this.
  6. Jan

Jan Senior Member

Devon UK
    I can't take ACE inhibitors either MeSci, I have a leaking aortic valve and they tried me on two different types, the first made me feel dreadful, I imagine it could have also been due to low sodium, no tests performed though. The second gave me severe chest pain, my GP wouldn't believe it at first, until I showed her it was in the list of known side effects. I now take Bisoprolol, but only a low dose normally. Too high and I will be nearly passing out from low blood pressure.

My blood pressure was too low for many years with ME, it varies a lot more now.

TreePerson and Countrygirl like this.
  7. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I could't even tolerate 1.25 mg of Bisoprolol.

8. Jan

Jan Senior Member

Devon UK
    Neither can I, lol. I usually only take half a tablet, it seems to help stop the palpitations that would otherwise keep me awake. When I first took them they made me very dizzy and I'd nearly pass out if I bent down. Now I only take them at night, sometimes I'll take another half if the palpitations are particularly bad.

Strangely though when I was going through hell with my family I was needing to take several a day, the stress must have been affecting my blood pressure a lot to enable me to take that many.

I wonder if I'd be better off taking what you take?

MeSci likes this.
  9. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I think we all vary. I don't get as much reduction in systolic pressure as I would like - sometimes it's alarmingly high, and I sometimes get a lot of reduction in pulse, sometimes below 60.

I think we'd be better discussing this elsewhere!

Jan likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.