• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

An Update on ME/CFS Research with Ronald W. Davis, PhD

TreePerson

It's how it is for me. There are a number of us here. I don't think I had it at the start of my M.E.
I had low blood pressure at the start 24 years ago. Now it is at the high end of normal. I also have low sodium which I think may have come on over the course of the disease. It was first flagged up to me about 5 years ago.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
CFS patients autoantibodies to choline receptors. Proven in studies if you care to pubmed.

aCH resistance may be more appropriate than excessive aCH.
Interesting, though these results suggest a subset have changes, not universal in ME/CFS
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26399744
My point is unchanged, this does not prove ME/CFS is caused by excess ACh, nor do people on ACh raising drugs appear to have increased incidence of ME/CFS, nor does increasing ACh worsen ME/CFS.

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I had low blood pressure at the start 24 years ago. Now it is at the high end of normal. I also have low sodium which I think may have come on over the course of the disease. It was first flagged up to me about 5 years ago.
I'm typing up my health diaries, and have reached July 1999, when I still had blood pressure 110/70. I had had ME for about 4-5 years. I think I was starting to get low sodium, but may have had tendencies to this before.

I take Nebivolol for high b.p. now, having had bad experiences with ACE inhibitors (seriously low sodium). Have to keep an eye on my sodium all the time now.

TreePerson

I'm typing up my health diaries, and have reached July 1999, when I still had blood pressure 110/70. I had had ME for about 4-5 years. I think I was starting to get low sodium, but may have had tendencies to this before.

I take Nebivolol for high b.p. now, having had bad experiences with ACE inhibitors (seriously low sodium). Have to keep an eye on my sodium all the time now.
I was the same 110/60 from 1994 for quite a few years. I can remember getting a higher reading for the first time in 2000. I had wondered if it could be connected to the three year switch over thing from having high cytokines to low. My sodium not very low but it is out of normal range and they made me get it retested but seems to be stable where it is. Are sodium and bp connected? I have wondered if my vasopressin is low because I now need to get up to the toilet about 5 times a night. That's got worse it used to be more like two.
The disease definitely changes over time.

MeSci

I was the same 110/60 from 1994 for quite a few years. I can remember getting a higher reading for the first time in 2000. I had wondered if it could be connected to the three year switch over thing from having high cytokines to low. My sodium not very low but it is out of normal range and they made me get it retested but seems to be stable where it is. Are sodium and bp connected? I have wondered if my vasopressin is low because I now need to get up to the toilet about 5 times a night. That's got worse it used to be more like two.
The disease definitely changes over time.
Maybe best to search for "sodium" and "pressure".

I found this from @Countrygirl - but don't know if it's relevant;

"My ME consultant before he retired warned me not to let the GP treat the high BP as ordinary hypertension as, he said, she would make the situation worse. She did, she is, and it has." That's from this thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/long-term-me-and-cardiac-problems.49653

Jan

I can't take ACE inhibitors either MeSci, I have a leaking aortic valve and they tried me on two different types, the first made me feel dreadful, I imagine it could have also been due to low sodium, no tests performed though. The second gave me severe chest pain, my GP wouldn't believe it at first, until I showed her it was in the list of known side effects. I now take Bisoprolol, but only a low dose normally. Too high and I will be nearly passing out from low blood pressure.

My blood pressure was too low for many years with ME, it varies a lot more now.

MeSci

I can't take ACE inhibitors either MeSci, I have a leaking aortic valve and they tried me on two different types, the first made me feel dreadful, I imagine it could have also been due to low sodium, no tests performed though. The second gave me severe chest pain, my GP wouldn't believe it at first, until I showed her it was in the list of known side effects. I now take Bisoprolol, but only a low dose normally. Too high and I will be nearly passing out from low blood pressure.

My blood pressure was too low for many years with ME, it varies a lot more now.
I could't even tolerate 1.25 mg of Bisoprolol.

Jan

I could't even tolerate 1.25 mg of Bisoprolol.

Neither can I, lol. I usually only take half a tablet, it seems to help stop the palpitations that would otherwise keep me awake. When I first took them they made me very dizzy and I'd nearly pass out if I bent down. Now I only take them at night, sometimes I'll take another half if the palpitations are particularly bad.

Strangely though when I was going through hell with my family I was needing to take several a day, the stress must have been affecting my blood pressure a lot to enable me to take that many.

I wonder if I'd be better off taking what you take?

MeSci

Neither can I, lol. I usually only take half a tablet, it seems to help stop the palpitations that would otherwise keep me awake. When I first took them they made me very dizzy and I'd nearly pass out if I bent down. Now I only take them at night, sometimes I'll take another half if the palpitations are particularly bad.

Strangely though when I was going through hell with my family I was needing to take several a day, the stress must have been affecting my blood pressure a lot to enable me to take that many.

I wonder if I'd be better off taking what you take?
I think we all vary. I don't get as much reduction in systolic pressure as I would like - sometimes it's alarmingly high, and I sometimes get a lot of reduction in pulse, sometimes below 60.

I think we'd be better discussing this elsewhere!

wastwater

Is this similar to a bioimpedance machine,I had a go on one of those and while it reminded me of a place you're finger in the slot fortune telling device it seemed strangely accurate flagging up areas for me,high brain glutamate,systemic inflammation,fast metabolism and oxygen usage and gut inflammation
I see earlier in posts comparison to the workings of a car,I think it might be everything is working fine but clutch plates are extremely worn,so engine is redlining just to produce any drive at all and slipping through every gear.
Or maybe like driving with handbrake on all the time

Last edited:

keenly

Odd that acetyl-l-carnitine is a CFS recommended supplement if this video is true, it raises acetylcholine levels. And i know someone on Aricept, no CFS and its not a listed side effect either, if it was causing CFS it would have been noticed considering how many people are taking it.
Dr Yasko recommends plain L Carnitine for this reason.

keenly

do you have more information on this?

Too many Acetyl groups can be an issue for certain individuals.
Dr Amy suggests L-carnitine first( basic mito support) then adds in acetyl carnitine and carnitine fumarate based on testing and or genetics/. Some people can have issues with low acetylcholinesterase so that they end up with elevated acetylcholine.

Seven7

Seven
There is so much cross over between CFS and and OI (POTs) I wonder what is the implications of the ( POTs cause research bellow) for CFS. Do we have the same protein issue or has to be related to what is going on with us in some way, as to why such a big cross over.

The CCS scientists discovered chemical marks on the NET gene responsible for repressing or turning the gene off. They delved further and found that a repressor protein called MeCP2 together with a non-coding RNA (let-7i) was critical in the gene silencing.
In another exciting development, the researchers, collaborating with the Baker Institute’s Professor Murray Esler, demonstrated that the NET gene could be re-activated by using the FDA approved drug Vorinostat in blood cells derived from POTS study participants.

http://neurosciencenews.com/fainting-disorder-neurology-6293/

Belbyr

There is so much cross over between CFS and and OI (POTs) I wonder what is the implications of the ( POTs cause research bellow) for CFS. Do we have the same protein issue or has to be related to what is going on with us in some way, as to why such a big cross over.

The CCS scientists discovered chemical marks on the NET gene responsible for repressing or turning the gene off. They delved further and found that a repressor protein called MeCP2 together with a non-coding RNA (let-7i) was critical in the gene silencing.
In another exciting development, the researchers, collaborating with the Baker Institute’s Professor Murray Esler, demonstrated that the NET gene could be re-activated by using the FDA approved drug Vorinostat in blood cells derived from POTS study participants.

Bingo. You think like I do.

Dechi

I don't have POTS and apparently it showed in my SPECT scan. I have moderate to severe hypoperfusion, and the part of the brain asociated with POTS is not affected, in my case. So even before I did the prolonged table tilt test that came back negative, my doctor knew I didn't have it.

So my thought is POTS depends on a certain area of the brain being well supplied with blood and oxygen, or not.

Seven7

Seven
That would be a good test: is the POTs lack of blood flow to brain or cfs has the chemical signature same as regular POTs. And can we call it POTs if the mechanism in Cfs is different ?!