The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

An Old LA Times Article on the Director of Realtime Labs?

Discussion in 'Addressing Biotoxin, Chemical & Food Sensitivities' started by MCRobbie, Apr 27, 2015.

1. MCRobbie

MCRobbie Senior Member

I do not want to cast aspersions about someone and admit that I have not dug deeply into this because I am not 'that' interested in this story in which case if I am incorrect I will delete the post if someone corrects me.

The Director of Realtime Labs is Dr. Dennis Hooper who has co authored some of the Mycotoxin Papers with Dr. Brewer. The LA Times did an eye opening expose on the questionable ethics of a Dr. Dennis Hooper in 2004 and if it is the same Dr. Hooper I think it might be worthwhile information to have if someone is planning on spending $700.00 for the Realtime Mycotoxin Test. The article is old but I still felt it was worth sharing.

.http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-kdday3dec07-story.html#page=1.

I only offer a link to this story for anyone interested in using Realtime Labs. Please make up your own mind as to whether the Dr Hooper of Realtime Labs is the same Dr Hooper in the LA Times piece and whether you would be comfortable using Realtime Labs based on your own conclusions.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I am so hesitant to read this as I had planned to do this test. But if test not valid or reliable, I do not want to pay for it
    Or waste my energy. Will read it later and then post more.

3. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Okay, I read article and did google search and am unclear if the two Dennis Hoopers are the same person!

King Drew Medical Center in LA got shut down a long time ago for an unending mess of egregious medical errors and deaths. But article link said nothing re: RTL and mold testing which seems legit.

I sm confused re: the connection. Maybe someone else knows? I want this test to be accurate if I end up using it for legal purposes (plus medically!!)

oceiv likes this.
  4. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    He is apparently the same person. Here's a bio I came across:

http://www.cancercontrolsociety.com/bio2009/hooper.html

The biographical details are essentially the same but either the bio or the article has the date and nature of his departure from the navy wrong.

The bio states:

The LA Times articles states:

oceiv and Gingergrrl like this.
  5. MCRobbie

MCRobbie Senior Member

I made the possible link for two reasons, the article discusses Dr. Hooper's previous founding of Laboratory Testing facilities and disclosed his last place of work as being a hospital in Texas where RealTime Labs is located.

I just thought the article was worth sharing on the chance that it may be the same Dr. Hooper. The Myco test is expensive and out of pocket for most. Its just a potential piece of information which someone might be able to use as they decide on whether to order the test.

The test may be completely legitimate and very helpful, maybe a valued and critical test for our community. I just felt like this article was worth posting.

oceiv and Gingergrrl like this.
  6. MCRobbie

MCRobbie Senior Member

Im very well aware too that many Dr.'s who have been invaluable to the ME/CFS community have courted controversy, Dr. Shoemaker being one prominent example. I don't want to start a witch hunt. Just thought it was worth sharing.

sarah darwins and Gingergrrl like this.
  7. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Is the lab itself Dr. Brewers lab? Do we know who created or designed the actual mold test?

@Forebearance @Ema @Dufresne @Ifish Do any of you know anything about this? I am glad the article was posted and trying to sort this out before I pay for such an expensive test!

8. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    You're absolutely right, of course. Dr Myhill in the UK is a good example. And I wouldn't assume that because something's printed in the LA Times that it's the truth, the whole truth etc.

MCRobbie likes this.
  9. MCRobbie

MCRobbie Senior Member

Yes @sarah darwins. The LA Times piece paints an unflattering picture, but it cant represent the whole truth.

10. Forebearance

Forebearance Senior Member

Great Plains, US
    We did talk about this in the Dr. Brewer protocol thread. i trust Dr. Brewer, so if he finds the RTL test useful, that's good enough for me.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015

See more popular forum discussions.