• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

An Investigation into the Relationship Between ME(CFS) and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

eafw

Now me, I have a very rational fear of BPS psychiatrists jumping out at me from behind christmas trees.

Here's one I made earlier:
xmas tree darth.JPG

Caption as required, "Give yourself to the Dark Side" / "The PACE is strong with this one" / "May the farce be with you" etc

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
I say this with the utmost concern for your well-being because I really want to help those ungrateful militant ME patients -- CBT is the only evidence-based treatment for false Santa-jumping beliefs. As we all know, Santa never hides behind christmas trees, so your rational fear of the irrational fear of Santa jumping out at you from behind a christmas tree is, in fact, irrational and therefore subject to CBT.

Now me, I have a very rational fear of BPS psychiatrists jumping out at me from behind christmas trees.
I have a phobia to doctors and psychiatrists, seriously :(

sparklehoof

https://glyndwr.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_20qphvofps5v37f

Lucky us, having a undergraduate student let loose on a sensitive and easily misread area of medicine. What could possibly go wrong?

I was never concerned about perfectionism before I became ill, but it's something that I wrestle with now. I believe that for me it is a response to a.) the unrest of being in a constant state of stress caused by physical symptoms that interfere with my ability to perform day to day functions. I need the conjure the same mentality to get to the doctor now that I used to need to get through exams or a half marathon (without exaggeration). (b)I believe it's also a mental response that stems from having a ghost illness- one that only some of us believe is real and suffer. I don't want my credibility to be questioned. I want and need the support of my friends, family, medical providers and the public, so I put pressure on myself to be the best person possible in every way that I can. I hear my friends and family talk about other people who are chronically ill and it's uncomfortable. They say that these people can help themselves, but don't choose to. They complain that those who are ill ask for help or favors and then complain about how their illness causes suffering. Given that I am chronically ill and often frustrated or depressed, I'm very critical of myself if I show it- if I cry, complain, yell, or don't handle myself ideally at all times. In a way I feel like people are most supportive of someone who is ill if they are: young, attractive, at an ideal weight, if they are cheerful or at least don't complain and if they ask for as little as possible. Subconsciously, I believe that people use this criteria to decide if that person is worthy of their sympathy and support. I feel like people will stop being as supportive of me if I have lower standards for success in other areas of my life.