Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"An exploration of the Impact of CFS & Implications for Psychological Service Provision" (2008)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Tom Kindlon, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

This is open access.

I just read this paper, after two people had highly recommended it (back in 2008!).

Anyway, I'd recommend it also for those who are interested in understanding why living with ME/CFS can be so challenging, both before and after diagnosis.

They interviewed 17 people and sympathetically reported on what they reported.

Unfortunately, it will likely be too long for many people.

Don't judge it by the abstract.

http://sensoria.swinburne.edu.au/index.php/sensoria/article/view/4

Sasha, Valentijn and biophile like this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

It looked very good from the psychological perspective. Basically it's completely contrary to the psychosomatic CBT/GET approach, though uncritical in accepting that CBT and GET are effective.

Sean likes this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Just reading it - very interesting. I agree, uncritical of CBT/GET and the effectiveness of pschological therapy but otherwise insightful and sympathetic.

4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I'm still of the opinion that the main source of psychological distress in CFS and similar illnesses is psychology itself.

No psychological explanations => no patient abuse or disbelief by "professionals", friends and family.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  5. Ayaju

Ayaju

San Diego, CA
    Thanks, Tom! You rock!
    Judy

Tom Kindlon likes this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    ;) How does that explain the Spanish Inquisition? Unknown disease => demonic possession or witchcraft => arrest and force confession. These kinds of reasoning are ancient. They are steeped in popular culture. The psych docs have institutionalized it though, so rather than abuse from ignorant peasants we get abuse from the new generation of Spanish Inquisitors.

See more popular forum discussions.