Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"An Athlete’s Nutritional Answer"

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Tom Kindlon, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

Somebody just sent me this email:

I don't have time to look into it so thought I would post it here and will pass on a link to this thread to the person who wrote to me.

2. ryan31337

ryan31337 Senior Member

South East, England
    "Within five months after changing several lifestyle habits along with the diet, she was able to climb back out of the hole she had dug for herself"

I think that pretty much sums it up. Standard case of confusing 'Chronic Fatigue' with 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome', i.e. an actual illness. With a bit of helpful victim-blaming thrown in for good measure.

Nothing to see here :)

Snowdrop, justy, Woolie and 4 others like this.
  3. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    IMHO it's doubtful she had ME/CFS. What complicates matters is that she was clearly hypothyroid. It amazes me that thyroxine (T4) and/or Cytomel (T3) weren't part of her treatment plan. Any TSH above a 3.0 is suspect and hers was 15.02. At that level, no one is allowed to drive.
    The Standard Process Thytrophin she was given (among other things) contained Magnesium citrate and bovine thyroid PMG™ extract (processed to substantially remove its thyroxine).

The symptoms the patient had (according to the article) were:
    I've not heard of anyone coming down with ME/CFS months after a low back injury. I doubt if there is a connection here.

The way this is worded it's hard to say if the following symptoms were attributed to the patient of if they were just part of a general discussion of ME/CFS:

A lot of her symptoms could have been due to hypothyroidism.

I've been hypothyroid and it feels like ME/CFS times 10, with severe morning fatigue and cognitive problems, so it's not surprising she rated her fatigue as 9 or 10.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  4. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Telling. There's no blood test for ME/CFS. The blood tests show what she has.

Nutrition will not cure you.

Look at his job description. Typical alternative pseudoscience.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    frederic83 and Woolie like this.

See more popular forum discussions.