1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"An antidote for hypersomnia" - possible PEM clue ?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by xchocoholic, Dec 1, 2012.

1. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    My editor had brain fog so bear with me .. Title should say antidote not anecdote .. lol ...

I get hypersomnia when I get PEM so maybe this could help explain why. Or at least provide a treatment for this.

An antidote for hypersomnia

http://news.emory.edu/stories/2012/11/antidote_for_hypersomnia/campus.html

Bob likes this.
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    Very interesting. I can not help wondering if in our case the hypersomnia is secondary to the ME/CFS. It could be the brain's way of making the body stay within its energy limit.

3. Gavman

Gavman Senior Member

Sydney
    Some doctors when approached with cfs want to stimulate an energy drained person when the opposite is more likely to help. Those who get over sharp illnesses aggressively rest. The body of one with chronic problems is unable to rest properly and improving that may improve recovery - if it is a virus that the body can't defeat it will erode it and until antibodies are created or given the body systems will deteriorate and make it harder to deal with the initial virus.

4. xchocoholic

Florida
    Hi,

I take Klonopin, a benzo, nightly for myoclonus so I struggle with waking up in the morning.
    I have energy but my brain is hanging onto the benzo and making it hard for me to think. Feeling
    sleepy or drugged and uncoordinated is different from feeling fatigued.

This drugged feeling clears on it's own after awhile. I've tried various supplements, coffee, etc but haven't found a way
    to force the benzo out of my brain. Which is what I "think" they're talking about. Only these
    people didn't take a benzo.

My brain hangs onto other sedating chemicals too. It took me 3 days to wake up from taking
    1 Vistaril. So there's some kind of chemical my body is missing that should eliminate this.
    I'm thinking it could be the same chemical causing hypersomnia during pem.

I'm still looking for whatever enzyme or
    peptide they found. Maybe it's a liver enzyme ? ? Or connected to mast cells / histamine clearing ?

Provigil and Ritalin sped up my thinking and my motor skills but kept me awake all night. I don't understand the difference
    in these chemicals and the one they used yet.

The cause could be from allergies too. I used to have narcolepsy until I went on the gfcfsf diet. I suspect this is my reaction to wheat. Chicken and turkey knock me out if I eat them a few meals in a row. So maybe, mc meds and / or avoiding triggers is the answer.

My pem has lessened on the mc meds but not consistently. I'm still experimenting tho. I'm allergic to most things on the planet so finding and eliminating all of my triggers is impossible. I suspect many of us canaries are like this.

Tc ... X

5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    One candidate for hypersomnia I am looking at is PGD2. The counter-treatment is resverotrol, though its use is problematic taken as an isolated supplement. It can also prevent sleep as I am finding, though there are ways to counter this based on the biochemistry. If I succeed I will blogs about it.

xchocoholic likes this.
  6. xchocoholic

Florida
    Hi Alex,

I did a little googling on pgd2 and prostaglandins. It's going to take more than a little googling for me to
    understand this. I'm not sure I want to get into all the terminology but I did see a mast cell connection,
    niacin and nsaids block pgd2s.

What do you think of our body's abilities to convert sunlight to vitamin d ? Could missing out
    on allowing or bodies to do this be messing with our fat regulation ?

Fwiw, I took Resvinatrol for a few months because it worked great. But like everything else, it stopped
    working.

Tc .. X

See more popular forum discussions.