• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

An Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) intervention for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)

Dolphin

Data from the change interviews indicated that all participants were actively engaged with the material provided; given the high levels of perfectionism noted in this population and the recruitment procedure, it is possible that these participants were highly motivated to achieve target outcomes.
It is interesting that perfectionism is linked to being highly motivated. The CBT/GET proponents for example don't tend to say we are a particularly motivated group.

Dolphin

Also, the less frequent use of measures may have helped to balance any threats to validity resulting from instrumentation effects of frequent assessment over time.
A new phrase for me. I had been wondering when reading the paper whether all the different assessments asking about mindfulness et cetera twice per week could itself end up altering either how the patients were thinking in general or specifically how they might answer the questions.

Dolphin

ACT might be a more acceptable therapy for individuals experiencing CFS, given the idiographic emphasis on personally meaningful values rather than increased activity per se.
There could be something to this point i.e. that it is better than CBT and graded exercise therapy for this reason.

trishrhymes

I doubt many people are still following this thread, so it's a good place to let off steam!

I've just woken late after a restless night feeling nauseous - one of the delights of a mild bout of PEM.

I'm lying here in bed looking at the threads I'm following with messages to catch up on. And I see the words 'Acceptance and Commitment therapy' and I feel more nauseous.

There's something about those words 'Acceptance and Commitment' that comes across to me as religious / judgemental / superior, we know what's good for you / illness is your fault, you miserable sinner / paternalistic or parental /controlling ...

They seem like a softer, more insidious version of 'cognitive behaviour therapy' which implies (to me) correction of misbehaviour or sin / judgement / making the recipient more conforming, socially acceptable etc.

Both the titles ACT and CBT make me want to run a mile from the brainwashing offered by do-gooders. Just like I ran a mile from the 'we are miserable sinners and there is no help in us' and 'all things bright and beautiful' of my childhood religious upbringing.

I can see that in the hands of an ethical, well trained and empathetic therapist, these methods can be tools to help people cope with whatever situation they are in, mentally or socially. Though I don't think a really good therapist needs the straightjacket of a 'method'.

But they seem to be absolutely designed to be formulaic, easily administered in a mindless way, cheap, brief and ultimately damaging process that gets patients to fill in their blasted questionnaires 'correctly', but that in the long run will leave patients blaming themselves when the problem re-asserts itself.

And I probably shouldn't write comments here when I'm feeling grumpy. But I know I can because my readers understand. Bless you all. (not in a religious way:D).

Countrygirl

I doubt many people are still following this thread, so it's a good place to let off steam!

I've just woken late after a restless night feeling nauseous - one of the delights of a mild bout of PEM.

I'm lying here in bed looking at the threads I'm following with messages to catch up on. And I see the words 'Acceptance and Commitment therapy' and I feel more nauseous.

But they seem to be absolutely designed to be formulaic, easily administered in a mindless way, cheap, brief and ultimately damaging process that gets patients to fill in their blasted questionnaires 'correctly', but that in the long run will leave patients blaming themselves when the problem re-asserts itself.

And I probably shouldn't write comments here when I'm feeling grumpy. But I know I can because my readers understand. Bless you all. (not in a religious way:D).

@trishrhymes :hug: I hope you stop feeling so wretched asap and am sorry you are having such a rotten time.

I think what you are talking about above is summed up in one word: abuse. :(