Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

An Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) intervention for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, May 4, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212144717300315

MEMum, Valentijn, Tyto alba and 2 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  3. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

I continue to be amazed that such tiny studies get published. Surely this is no more than a pre-pilot study if there is such a thing.

At least the author admits the results were mixed and generally not sustained.

I hate to be cynical, but it looks from the abstract like it could be little more than an exercise in teaching people how to fill in questionnaires to please the experimenter.

And, though I commend the use of actometers, with a fluctuating condition, one would expect on average half the group to walk a bit more, and half not to after the intervention...

With a long term condition, treating 6 people for 6 weeks is negligible. Certainly not the basis on which any reliable conclusions can be drawn.

But I admit I've only read the abstract.

Can you really get a PhD for so little 'work'?

Edit to add. I've just looked at the other thread on this, and realise I commented there too. I really must stop going on about stuff that annoys me! I thought it seemed familiar.

MEMum, Valentijn, suseq and 2 others like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I really don't know much about Acceptance and Commitment therapy so I'm not the best person to give a detailed review of this paper but will post my observations for what they are worth.

ukxmrv likes this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Second paragraph is annoying:

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I don't believe this paper mentions a single biological finding. This can lead to a skewed view of the illness as something solely caused by beliefs and behaviours.

MEMum, slysaint, suseq and 5 others like this.
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

It is better than nothing that they mentioned concerns. But it is frustrating how they cite long-term study which actually found no long-term benefit for CBT and GET: the control group had similar results.

MEMum, Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

As I say I don't know too much about this. But persisting when you have symptoms with ME rather than resting or switching to another activity is not necessarily a good strategy.

MEMum, Valentijn and Snow Leopard like this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This seems to suggest that stopping activities to rest or switch activities can cause distress and that this is bad so that if you can encourage people to keep going that reduces distress and hence that is better. This puts distress as the most important outcome rather than controlling whatever is happening biologically that might cause a patient to stop doing what they're doing/what is causing fatigue.

MEMum, Orla, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Again this seems to be suggesting that patients persist in activities and ignore symptoms.
    This is not necessarily a good strategy in CFS.

Also the earlier part of this suggests that people may be able to push through to achieve goals and that this is good when the goals could be unrealistic.

suseq and Valentijn like this.
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

So is the idea to save money? And is it done by making the patient feel they don't need health services that they are completely in control of the illness and its outcomes, which may not be true.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    suseq and Valentijn like this.
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Involving the patient may be good but the use of the term "treatment" suggests perhaps the condition can be treated, as opposed to being managed, by nonpharmacological means.

MEMum and Snow Leopard like this.
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Mindfulness-Mindful Attention Awareness Scale (MAAS)

http://www.ircimh.org/local/uploads/content/files/ALL COMPLETE PROMIS 10 PROMIS 29 MINDFULNESS CHOICES.docx

Valentijn likes this.
  14. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

http://www.ircimh.org/local/uploads/content/files/ALL COMPLETE PROMIS 10 PROMIS 29 MINDFULNESS CHOICES.docx

15. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Patients are ignorant/delusional/stupid/etc, and need an expert to teach us how to manage something the expert clearly has no fucking clue about.

How is this any different from CBT/GET? Same old shit in another cheap rhetorical suit.

Plus just six participants. How the hell do you get any statistical robustness with n=6?

:bang-head::bang-head::bang-head:

MEMum, ukxmrv, slysaint and 3 others like this.
  16. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

https://research.gold.ac.uk/8877/1/CFQ-Gillanders et al 2014.pdf

17. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

http://essay.utwente.nl/68632/1/Knirsch, P. - s 10979549 (verslag).pdf

18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

Cognitive fusion :thumbdown:. Is this a Vulcan mind meld technique to make us think in the approved way.

MEMum likes this.
  19. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

I am pondering submitting for publication a case series of one person, studied in depth for 36 weeks on the correlation between the bristol stool scale and fatigue levels.

I expect it to be similarly valuable to the field.

MEMum, Valentijn, Lolo and 2 others like this.
  20. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

ACT differs form CBT in that its less "corrective". Rather than identifying and trying to change the person's 'negative thought patterns', the aim is to help people come to terms with the way they feel and with their situation.

Its generally supportive, and used in a non-judgmental way. In the past, when I have seen it used in health, its does not make the assumption that the person's thoughts and feelings are the cause of the illness.

Not true here, though, I have to admit.

Dolphin, RogerBlack, suseq and 3 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.