1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Did You Have Yourself a Crashy Little Christmas?
Jody Smith may have dodged a holiday bullet this year. She's hoping. Only time will tell. How did you fare?
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Amy Dockser Marcus: XMRV: Testing the Blood Supply

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Otis, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Otis

Otis Señor Mumbler

USA
  2. Otis

Otis Señor Mumbler

USA
    Some highlights:

That's for sure!

3. Lynn

Lynn Senior Member

Thanks Otis. This was a good, positive forward looking article. Thank goodness for Amy Dockser Marcus!

Lynn

4. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    thanks for the link, Otis.

and yes, another good and balanced article from Amy Dockser Marcus

5. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

All this talk of "moving forward" with large scale studies is great as long as those responsible for the testing can reliably detect these retroviruses in clinical samples.

6. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    Quite right, biophile. In these particular studies, I'd feel much more comfortable to know for sure that they will be using somebody who can definitely detect XMRV in ME/CFS patients, and quite happy to wait for that. Carrying on testing using techniques that are known not to work would be worse than just a waste of time and money...it'd be threatening to the future of XMRV research. "Oh we can't sit around waiting, let's just get on with it and test now...even if we don't know how to find it yet" doesn't sound too smart to me. Unless, of course, they know something we don't...

7. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Yeah, the nightmare scenario for me is that they are going to test 10.000 people, but can't detect XMRV. That would certainly be an enormous blow to XMRV research.
    Otherwise a very hopeful article though.

8. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    This is basically the same that was presented in the CFIDS Association's webinar, if i'm not mistaken. So basically, they are talking about the XMRV Blood Working Group's next phases. Correct me if i'm wrong... Good to read nevertheless.

9. LJS

LJS Insert Witty Comment Here

East Coast, USA
    Gen-Probe was unable to find XMRV in any of the samples in BWG phase II. So hopefully they are planing on waiting until they get things figured out before testing 10,000 samples. Though I think this takes place in phase IV so we will see how there testing is when the results of phase III are released.

10. Otis

Otis Señor Mumbler

USA
    There's a huge profit motive to get this right, the demand for testing will be huge if they find XMRV in numbers in these tests. We're at a difficult point in that we're still working out how to find this bug in the blood when we take our time and use multiple methods, but there is obviously enough givernment concern to move into larger volume testing. I too hope calmer heads prevail and this isn't rushed into. I'll settle for knowing the money and interest (meaning some level of upper-level concern) for large-scale testing are there while phase III (hopefully) gives us better answers.

11. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    The speakers in the BWG webinar indicated that Gen-Probe was redesigning their assay, since it didn't escape anyone's notice that it didn't work at all in Phase II.

If you'll recall, the Webinar had two speakers, the first talking about the Phase II results and the plans for Phase II, and the second talking about "proposed" larger-scale tests. I believe these larger-scale tests are what we are hearing about now. But no, they don't plan to do testing with high-throughput methods until they've designed one that works.

See more popular forum discussions.