• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amphetamine is an instant, but short lasting, cure

DeGenesis

I'm sure this has been posted before but I thought I'd post again after having some positive experiences that excited me.

Consistent use lead to a crash.

I save them (Dexedrine, Adderall, Vyvanse are the main amphetamine-based ADHD drugs) for occasions when I could really use the energy, like a social outing. Methylphenidate-based stimulants like Ritalin don't seem to work as well for me.

I'm careful of the crash though, and only take it on the advice of my doctor, I can't repeat that enough, these are serious drugs!

EDIT: Various edits, and replacing "you" with "I". These are my personal experiences. Also, please ignore the "instant cure" portion of my thread title. It is certainly not proven in any way to be an "instant cure" for CFS/ME.

Last edited:

DeGenesis

I use clonidine sometimes with amphetamine but I've been told this is very detrimental to people with ME. YMMV and proceed with caution and only with your doctor's go ahead.

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I wouldn't call it a cure, I'd call it a bandaid.

When I was able to take them, my favorite of all time was Focalin. It lasts about 5-6 hours, tapers off slowly and has a side effect of making you feel good.

Any other one that has a longer life, like Concerta, stays in me for almost 24 hours. It does not give me energy or mental clarity. It makes me feel jittery, speedy, still brain dead and is physically painful.

I would not make a blanket statement that amphetamine is an instant boost since it's not.

Tired of being sick

Adderal helps better than all the drugs I have ever took with fatigue/psycho motor retardation /cognitive function/ motor skills/sleepiness and pain..

but should be taken every other day or less

If you take it every day for ME,your immune system will attack itself by making you feel worse than before taking it..

It is my go to medication when I have to be present in public and want to Function somewhat normal..

drob31

Before I realized what was happening, I was taking ephedrine. I haven't taken it in a while since it may make my adrenal fatigue worse, but ephedrine will turn the lights on.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I think this is a completely irresponsible recommendation.

My symptoms were initially triggered during a period of my life when I was frequently doing amphetamines.

I'm assuming that it completely trashed my adrenals which started a cascade of health problems that persist to this day.

misskatniss

I refused Bupropion due to its similarity to amphetamine... How can a doc prescribe something that "turns the lights on" to a person who will severely crash if she by drug-induced mistake does more than her body actually can bear? No offense, but I think this is no good idea...

DeGenesis

I think this is a completely irresponsible recommendation.

My symptoms were initially triggered during a period of my life when I was frequently doing amphetamines.

I'm assuming that it completely trashed my adrenals which started a cascade of health problems that persist to this day.

Read my post. I specifically said that they should not be used frequently. I tried to put as many warnings into my posts as possible. I have not claimed to be a doctor or have any special knowledge. All I know is that if I take an amphetamine-based stimulant on occasion it helps me cope in situations where I would otherwise not be able to, and that is what I have tried to convey.

EDIT: My OP is now edited to make sure there is no confusion. These are my personal experiences.

Last edited:

DeGenesis

Even when I try and put disclaimers in my posts people still slam me, sheesh. These are powerful controlled (as they are called here in Canada) medications and I would never recommend anyone treat them as anything but such.

DeGenesis

I refused Bupropion due to its similarity to amphetamine... How can a doc prescribe something that "turns the lights on" to a person who will severely crash if she by drug-induced mistake does more than her body actually can bear? No offense, but I think this is no good idea...

Absolutely it could be a bad idea especially if occasional use turns into frequent use, as is tempting to ME (all of this IMHO). I have developed a bit of a sense of what my body can take and what it can not. Sometimes I mess up, especially if I have a drink (unrelated to stimulant use), which cripples me for hours.

Last edited:

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Read my post. I specifically said that they should not be used frequently. I tried to put as many warnings into my posts as possible. I have not claimed to be a doctor or have any special knowledge. All I know is that if I take an amphetamine-based stimulant on occasion it helps me cope in situations where I would otherwise not be able to, and that is what I have tried to convey.

EDIT: My OP is now edited to make sure there is no confusion. These are my personal experiences.

they are the same drugs that are currently involved in a cfs study but in a low dose with mito type supps as well. Maybe the additional support of the mito supps may prevent a burnout type effect from them or crashes??

DeGenesis

they are the same drugs that are currently involved in a cfs study but in a low dose with mito type supps as well. Maybe the additional support of the mito supps may prevent a burnout type effect from them or crashes??

I found this with a quick search. I'm going to look tomorrow to see if there is anything more recent.

Stimulating results in Vyvanse Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Treatment Trial
http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/2012/12/28/26/

Vyvanse is a glorified version of dextroamphetamine (IMO).

Mito supplements are definitely something I'm interested in learning about. Currently I take l-carnitine fumarate and I find it helpful. Creatine always gives me stiff muscles though.

And yeah, at the end of the day the title of this thread is definitely a bit overkill. Not an instant cure by a long-shot, but maybe there is some potential here for some. Time will tell I suppose.

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Absolutely it could be a bad idea especially if occasional use turns into frequent use, as is tempting to ME (all of this IMHO). I have developed a bit of a sense of what my body can take and what it can not. Sometimes I mess up, especially if I have a drink (unrelated to stimulant use), which cripples me for hours.

The temptation to overuse amphetamine can be very strong for a range of reasons. I write as a one-time amphetamine addict (in the 1970s). I seemed OK when I used it relatively infrequently, but a break-up with a boyfriend left me devastated, and I increased my intake to help me cope.

It lost me my job, which I had had for 9 years and had a very good record until then. But I became increasingly ill, so that I had to keep going off sick from work.

I ended up with a BMI of 16.4, unable to sit for long due to the bones sticking out in my backside. My face was sunken. I couldn't stand up without fainting, couldn't eat and had a mouth full of sores.

Amphetamine can make you feel fantastic - no fear, no fatigue, impervious to pain or cold. That's because it drains all your body's stores and burns them up. Predictably, when it wears off you can get a terrible 'comedown' - amphetamine's version of a hangover. This can involve despair, pain, extreme fatigue, nausea, insomnia and, at worst, terrifying hallucinations.

It took 3 attempts and help from a friend, a dealer (surprise to some that they don't all have two heads, horns or forked tails :D) and a doctor, and an incredible amount of willpower which had to be sustained day after day for months, to be finally clear of the addiction.

I am by no means po-faced about drugs (I am an ageing hippy!) but would warn people to avoid amphetamines like the plague.

It may provide a welcome boost, but when our stores are already so depleted or hard to access, as in ME, the downside is probably even greater. Is it worth a short-term boost if it may make things worse in the long term?

I'm not getting at anyone - just want to add my inside knowledge of the very dark side of a dangerous drug.

taniaaust1

I dont know how people use these. I struggle now not to do too much that I end up crashing.

And I cant see how it could be a cure as the only thing it would help would be the fatigue wouldnt it? or does it help other ME symptoms too? (to be cured even very temporary, it would have to fix my other symptoms too. Fatigue is just one part of ME).

They help with brain fog and mood, but with a high price when they wear off. When they wear off, I have to sleep more and my mood is bad. They give me insomnia unless I time it right.

They don't help physically. Same OI, weak tired muscles, and other symptoms which keep me from having a life.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I dont know how people use these. I struggle now not to do too much that I end up crashing.

And I cant see how it could be a cure as the only thing it would help would be the fatigue wouldnt it? or does it help other ME symptoms too? (to be cured even very temporary, it would have to fix my other symptoms too. Fatigue is just one part of ME).

May help orthostatic intolerance with those that have low blood pressure issues.

DeGenesis

It took 3 attempts and help from a friend, a dealer (surprise to some that they don't all have two heads, horns or forked tails :D) and a doctor, and an incredible amount of willpower which had to be sustained day after day for months, to be finally clear of the addiction.

I am by no means po-faced about drugs (I am an ageing hippy!) but would warn people to avoid amphetamines like the plague.

Well, I got yelled at for saying that people should take care with benzodiazepines, so here goes. I personally know two people who I grew up with who have been taking amphetamines at therapeutic doses for decades.

You could have warned us all to avoid any psychoactive drug like the plague, but then you would have the benzodiazepine users over here telling you that they have taken the same dose for years and years for sleep.

In all seriousness, I am glad you beat your addiction. I am addicted to benzodiazepines. I do not have it nearly as bad as you did (health wise), not nearly, and your story was sad, uplifting and a good warning. I am not being sarcastic, as can commonly be gleaned unintentionally from text. Thank you for sharing it.

EDIT: Rules conformation. Changes meant in earnest, however.

EDIT 2: I suppose I am upset that I was mocked for not having enough restraint to control my benzodiazepine usage.

Last edited:

DeGenesis

They help with brain fog and mood, but with a high price when they wear off. When they wear off, I have to sleep more and my mood is bad. They give me insomnia unless I time it right.

They don't help physically. Same OI, weak tired muscles, and other symptoms which keep me from having a life.

They make me pee like a fish too.