Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Amisulpride — A Multipurpose Drug for ME/CFS

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Hip, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Yeah, when I was on Risperdal which also affects prolactin that killed my libido. It was great for treating anxiety and insomnia though, but I wouldn't recommend it since it also causes weight gain, high cholesterol, and high blood sugar.

2. mabelark

mabelark

Sweden
    May I ask what dosage of pantethine you are/were taking, adreno?

Has any else had sucess with countering amisulpride's prolactin effects by taking pantethine?

3. adreno

adreno Senior Member

Europe
    Actually I am no longer sure it's effective. I read a study saying that it only works with IV pantethine, not oral. I haven't had any tests, so I can't say for sure. The following list of prolactin inhibitors are likely more effective:

Prolactin Inhibitor Supplements Set

mabelark likes this.
  4. mabelark

mabelark

Sweden
    Thanks for the update, adreno.

Seeing as I'm currently getting 400IU E, 30mg Zinc and 30mg B6, I will try and add 50 mg P5P.

5. alice111

alice111 Senior Member

@Hip you may have said this but I'm wondering can you take amisulpride on an as needed basis, or does it have to be taken daily? Thanks

6. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Yes, I think you should be able to take as and when you need it.

I find the beneficial effects of amisulpride kick in quickly, within an hour or two of taking it. And these beneficial effects last for a good 24 hours.

The beneficial effects for me are the very significant reduction in irritability symptoms (it almost eliminates my irritability), a substantial reduction in the ME/CFS noise sensitivity (although this is not entirely eliminated), and I find amisulpride improves sociability: it makes you enjoy being with people more.

So I think it should be possible to take amisulpride just on the days when you have say more sound sensitivity than normal, or more irritability than normal.

7. alice111

alice111 Senior Member

@Hip ok thanks thats really helpful. its a prescription right? do you get it prescribed by your regular doc? cus it seems like (from wiki) that its a psych drug.. can my GP prescribe it.. I dont know if she will feel comfortable.
    ps feel free to PM me if this too personal

8. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I buy amisulpride 50 mg tablets online from prescription-free pharmacies (and then break the tablet into quarters). There are links to some pharmacies that sell amisulpride in the first post of this thread.

I am not sure how readily your GP will prescribe it, but it cannot hurt to ask I guess. I should really ask my own GP if he will prescribe it, just to save money. But in fact amisulpride works out to be very economical when you only take 12.5 mg each day, because then one box of 100 x 50 mg tablets (which costs around $50) will last over a year.

9. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
  10. Hip

Hip Senior Member

@Marco
    Yes, I have been taking amisulpride 12.5 mg daily for a few years now.

I was terribly irritable before I discovered amisulpride. I had irritability almost to autism levels. Amisulpride really helps this a lot. That is the main reason I take it. Any ME/CFS patient that often feels grumpy and irritable (irritability is a listed symptom of ME/CFS) might also find amisulpride alleviates this unpleasant mental state.

It does help with sound sensitivity (hyperacusis) as well, and also has antidepressant, energy-boosting and brain fog alleviating effects I find.

Marco and merylg like this.

See more popular forum discussions.