• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amino acids for sleep

I'm found that GABA helps with sleep for me. But I was just tested for amino acids and I'm very confused with the results.

I guess one of the most confusing things is the glutamine, (was high), glutamic acid (was just above average) and then it has ratios--Glutamic acid/glutamine very low. Yet all (or one of these) or all they all the same? or similar? forms GABA. That's supposed to be good for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Insomnia.

Can anyone explain to me what I should be taking? (other than GABA. I would rather get the correct amino acid that I am missing and not have to keep taking GABA to sleep. I think the correct amino acid would be more beneficial if I am deficient in it and anyway the GABA only works for one or two nights and takes 6 hours to kick in. Thanks. I would be grateful for any help.

...and I had 20 amino acids tested by Genova Labs but no one knows how to interpret the results. The lab provided a prescription but I would have to find an actual MD to prescribe it (and I have an appointment but am dubious that he will write the prescription.)

One thing I am very low in is Taurine. Could that be important for sleep?

Also, does anyone understand the part where they give you the Ratios? For instance, I'm very low in Glutamic Acid/Glutamine--but what do I do about it? Pretty low in Phenylalanine/Tyrosine and also in Tryptophane/LNAA*

*large neutral amino acids Leu+lle+Val+Phe+Tyr

Tammy

Years ago when I got amino acid testing done...........I had it evaluated by Dr. Dennis Gersten. He does phone consultations. He is a Dr. who had CFS and recovered mainly with Amino Acid therapy. You can google him.

Tammy

Sorry...........don't have time to look at my notes right now to get into detail.........but there is a relationship between Taurine and Gaba...........if you google you will find lots of info.....................also just curious if you have depression since you said you were low in Tryptophan as well as phenylalanine/tyrosine?

...and I had 20 amino acids tested by Genova Labs but no one knows how to interpret the results. The lab provided a prescription but I would have to find an actual MD to prescribe it (and I have an appointment but am dubious that he will write the prescription.)

Also, does anyone understand the part where they give you the Ratios? For instance, I'm very low in Glutamic Acid/Glutamine--but what do I do about it? Pretty low in Phenylalanine/Tyrosine and also in Tryptophane/LNAA*

*large neutral amino acids Leu+lle+Val+Phe+Tyr
Sorry...........don't have time to look at my notes right now to get into detail.........but there is a relationship between Taurine and Gaba...........if you google you will find lots of info.....................also just curious if you have depression since you said you were low in Tryptophan as well as phenylalanine/tyrosine?

Thank you. I will do some more googling. I have had depression, maybe still do, but it's hard to distinguish being depressed over DFS and just plain depression.

Glycine is an amino acid that helps my sleep a lot, and it's also a methyl donor. The suggested dose for sleep is 3,000 MG.

I took Glycine about a year ago for sleep--it didn't cure the insomnia but amazingly, it did cure my fibromyalgia 100%. Now my Glycine is in the HIGH range so I can't take any more.

Does "methyl donor" mean that it contributes to the detoxification system? I don't know what it means.