• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amino Acid Serum Test

sflorence

Hi all,

I had mine done a few month ago, and every amino acid level was OK except for Arginine and Lysine, both were almost below the detectable limit. In other words, I have a severe deficiency in both of them.

I have tried to mega-dose both of those amino acids, but I had no success. Even when I tried to reach the maximum therapeutic dosage I would just get terrible stomach problems.

My doc just wrote it off as "amino acid over-utilization" and tried to cram some anti-depressents down my throat.

So I am curious to hear other peoples results, and am curious to hear if someone has some advice for me.

thanks

Did you take them simultaneously? They are similar molecules and are competitive. May I ask what laboratory you used?

sflorence

Did you take them simultaneously? They are similar molecules and are competitive. May I ask what laboratory you used?

Yeah I did take them at the same time..... I should probably give it another go taking them alternatively.

I went through Genova Diagnostics.

Keep in mind, I don't know your medical history or what you are attempting to treat.

Genova Diagnostics doesn't have the best track record - they just lack the validation strength of a larger lab like LabCorp which also offers that test; I'm talking in terms of the appropriate ranges of results. I've used Genova for tests that have been used and tested for decades - but simply aren't offered by the larger testing companies. Amino acid profile is not one of them.

Adding another layer of complexity is you could have a deficiency in those items as a compensatory mechanism to reduce further harm - that's pure speculation however. In short, get re-tested by Labcorp in duplicate basically to see if that's an appropriate target at all and if it's affected by dietary fluctuation.